• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tokyo; Ermenegildo Zegna vs Canali vs Barneys vs Ships VS Going Bespoke, but Where?

erdavis

Reaction score
I am in Tokyo and need a winter coat. Unfortunately, I don't work in a job where the gore-tex coat will do.

I am pondering of the following stores who has the best reputation for the product. Ermenegildo Zegna, Canali, Barneys vs Ships.

It scares the hell out of my to be paying 2K-4K for a jacket, so I want to do it right.

I don't know any tailors in Tokyo, so I went to Ginza and checked out what I can get in a full length coat.

I don't know the above brands for jackets, but figured that someone on the forum could tell me their opinions as I may have to go RTW.

If someone can point me toward a custom tailor in Tokyo I am also open for that. I am not open for suggestions of flying to China, Thailand or the US and flying back, unfortunately I don't have the time for that...

Any comments are welcome (almost)... :)

Kei-bon

Reaction score
You might want to try Beams--the one in Marunouchi, Ginza, or the Beams F boutique in Harajuku. Or one of the department stores, especially Isetan Men's in Shinjuku, which has a wide selection.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How expensive a store is Ships?

I'm selling a secondhand Ships coat on ebay now, and I can see the quality of the make, but I was not sure of the retail price.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
How expensive a store is Ships? I'm selling a secondhand Ships coat on ebay now, and I can see the quality of the make, but I was not sure of the retail price.
Here's a SHIPS overcoat retailing at about $883... http://zozo.jp/shop/ships/goods.html...&did=&cid=2398 No need to spend $2,000 - $4,000 on an overcoat when there are many viable options under $1,000 (unless of course your only hindrance to flying to Oxxford in Chicago and back to Tokyo is the time factor as you stated, and not the cost factor of international travel, in which case Nantucket Red has worked with a tailor in the Ginza who could whip something up for you quicker than it would take to fly overseas, get fitted, and fly back.)
1341071_17_D.jpg

erdavis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
How expensive a store is Ships?

I'm selling a secondhand Ships coat on ebay now, and I can see the quality of the make, but I was not sure of the retail price.

Ships is a quality product, but a step down (from what I can see) from the other stores I listed.

One lie in my posting, their coat was $1,300 not 2K.

erdavis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
Here's a SHIPS overcoat retailing at about $883...

http://zozo.jp/shop/ships/goods.html...&did=&cid=2398

No need to spend $2,000 - $4,000 on an overcoat when there are many viable options under $1,000 (unless of course your only hindrance to flying to Oxxford in Chicago and back to Tokyo is the time factor as you stated, and not the cost factor of international travel, in which case Nantucket Red has worked with a tailor in the Ginza who could whip something up for you quicker than it would take to fly overseas, get fitted, and fly back.)

Good recommendation. Maybe if Nantucket Red doesn't post to this thread I will private message him. Good point.

iyorito

Reaction score
Barneys or Ships if you could find something you like RTW under 140,000 yen.

www.pecoraginza.com is one of the best tailors in Japan, but the turn-around time
could be quite long (at least 1.5 months). From JPY400,000~

Fontainebleau, a Gaziano & Girling importer in Japan, is having a sample sale of
Luigi Borrelli, batak House Cut, and etc on 27,28 November 11AM~8PM and
29 Nov 11AM~6PM at:

Fontainebleau
B1F Fiore Daikanyama,
6-6 Daikanyamacho
Shibuya-ku
Tel 5459-0933

You might find a great bargain.

Email me if you need more info.

[email protected]

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are willing to spend 2-4k, you can go to Barneys and get an Oxxford MTM overcoat.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Aren't there a few tailors in Tokyo that are supposed to be excellent?

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about Gintei or Azabu?

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Barneys in Tokyo is rather small compared to other Barneys, if I remember correctly. Can't recall their men's selection being very large....

You may want to shop around the boutiques in the little malls around Odaiba (Venus Fort comes to mind).

Sorry I can't be of much more help, it's been several years since I've been to Tokyo.

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
I'd go to Azabu Tailor and get a made to measure coat. I think F one also does made to measure coats, although the quality is not too great.

Several years go, I got a heather green coat made at a small fabric importer in Kanda. I think it ran about $700

Several of the shops inside Isetan Men's also do made to measure overcoats. So does Takashimaya Nihombashi and Mitsukoshi in Mitsukoshi Mae

Bic

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads