1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Tokaji, Sauternes, icewines, Ausleses...

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Aficionado, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Aficionado

Aficionado Well-Known Member

Do you like sweet white dessertwines?

Have you got a favourite wine or/and vintage in this cathegory?

2. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Well, a good d'Yquem is truly better than just about anything else in life. There is a reason that it is the only Chateau with its own designation.

Personally, I love the SGN Guwertz, Reislings and Pinots from ZInd-Humbrecht.

3. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

Love Rieslings and I drink a lot of Moscato in the summer.

4. horton

horton Senior member

Well, a good d'Yquem is truly better than just about anything else in life. There is a reason that it is the only Chateau with its own designation.

Personally, I love the SGN Guwertz, Reislings and Pinots from ZInd-Humbrecht.

I have a relative who as a result of a divorce received a fair amount of d'Yquem. She used to drink it with her friends when playing bridge. She almost died when I told her what it would fetch if she had sold it (she had 2 bottles left when she asked me about it). Well at least she has fond memories.

(She is not a wine enthusiast and simply liked it because it was sweet)

5. Dmax

Dmax Senior member

Well, a good d'Yquem is truly better than just about anything else in life. There is a reason that it is the only Chateau with its own designation. Personally, I love the SGN Guwertz, Reislings and Pinots from ZInd-Humbrecht.
    It has been my experience that Gewurztraminers, Reislings, Pinot Gris, Pinot d'Alsace like most other wines from Alsace (minor grapes in Alsace like Muscat, Chasellas, Sylvaner, etc..) varied between dry and very dry. The only off dry wines I know of from Alsace are the botrytis affected Vendange Tardives. Zind-Humbrecht is considered one of the best Alscatian producers however. My personal sweet beverage of the moment is Emilio Lustau San Emilio sherry made from 100% Pedro Ximenez. edited for spelling.

6. saint

saint Senior member

SGN Alsace are similar to TBA German wines in that individual botrytis affected grapes are selected for the wine.

I really like Sauternes, current house wine for me is '89 Suiduraut. But late harvest Germans and Alsatians can be amazing.

There are also some very good late harvest Loire wines, particularly Vouvray from Huet. They made a Cuvee Constance blend in 1989 that is incredible.

7. Bags

Bags Active Member

Bonny Doon Vin de Glaciere Muscat is my current favorite.

8. j

j Senior member Admin

In the basement of Isetan, I tried some sort of Eiswein (icewine?). It was very tasty, not too sweet, but very crisp. A slim bottle of it (probably 375ml or so) was about $120 IIRC. I chose to pass.

9. Dmax

Dmax Senior member

I stand corrected. It appears I know much less about wine from Alsace then I previously thought. I have never tried any of the SGNs (Selection de Grains Nobles), probably because they are somewhat expensive.

10. Aficionado

Hmh. I have taisted many sauternes wines but never Ch. d'Yquem. Well, now I have desined to buy a bottle or two.

If its similar with Ch. Suduiraut or Ch. Guiraud I´am gonna love it!

11. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I'm fond of most Sauternes.

Right now in the cellar I have about a case of D'Yquem, mostly of 89 and 90, and I have high hopes for my 03 futures (not in yet though [​IMG] ) I also have a lot of 99, 01, and 03 Rieussec.

I'm quite fond of TBAs, but they're quite different than Sauternes, less apricot and more overall sweetness.

Vin d' Constance is still one of my favorite dessert wines, although somewhat hard to get in the US, and the occasional glass of eiswein is quite nice.

Navarro (from up in Northern California) makes some of the best dessert wines commercially available in the US, and I've also had a very nice Ch. de Michelle eiswein as well.

12. WN2

WN2 Senior member

Tokaji (Tokay?) is my dessert wine of choice, I often skip dessert and just have a glass of wine. Various Sauternes' are also fine, but the Hungarians are fine wines AND affordable, something that d'Yquem is not.

13. Aus_MD

Aus_MD Senior member

The Tokays are good value but somewhat unsubtle. I would recommend muscat de Beaumes de Venice as vastly underrated (and underpriced) dessert wines.

Aus

14. Aficionado

Yeah. TokaY not Tokaji.

I like 3 and 4 puttonyos tokays, maybe 5, but 6 puttonyos is too sweet to my taste. [​IMG]

On the other hand I´ve allways wanted to taste Tokaji Eszencia even it contain about 50 per cent of sugar. Sounds pretty much like syrup [​IMG]

Availability of Tokaji Eszencia is also very bad in Scandinavia and the price is unbelievable high. [​IMG]

But maybe some day...

15. Associate

Associate Senior member

A relatively unknown botrytis - Quart de Chaume from the Loire Valley - is definitely worth seeking out.

16. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Yeah. TokaY not Tokaji.

I like 3 and 4 puttonyos tokays, maybe 5, but 6 puttonyos is too sweet to my taste. [​IMG]

On the other hand I´ve allways wanted to taste Tokaji Eszencia even it contain about 50 per cent of sugar. Sounds pretty much like syrup [​IMG]

Availability of Tokaji Eszencia is also very bad in Scandinavia and the price is unbelievable high. [​IMG]

But maybe some day...

I've had Essenzia. It's quite good, I'm fond of Tokays in general, and 6 Puttonoyos and Essenzia are quite delicious, if expensive. I think I paid about E60 for the last bottle I picked up in budapest.

17. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

I like Pedro Ximinez sherries.

Perhaps I'll spend a little of my latest inheritance on some d'Yquem.

18. Aficionado

I've had Essenzia. It's quite good, I'm fond of Tokays in general, and 6 Puttonoyos and Essenzia are quite delicious, if expensive. I think I paid about E60 for the last bottle I picked up in budapest.
    I read some article about Tokays it says that "If your very lucky you can get bottle of Tokaji Eszencia for price of 4000FIM (~650€) from Budabest. [​IMG] Do you mean Tokaji Aszú Eszencia perhaps, the name is quite similar. It costs about 50-80€ I think.

19. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I read some article about Tokays it says that "If your very lucky you can get bottle of Tokaji Eszencia for price of 4000FIM (~650€) from Budabest. [​IMG]

Do you mean Tokaji Aszú Eszencia perhaps, the name is quite similar. It costs about 50-80€ I think.

Nope, I got a few bottles of the real thing, but this was in the late 90s, I think prices have risen of late.

20. Aficionado

Ah ok. Just check [​IMG] Now enjoying some good Ch. Suduiraut with cheeses [​IMG]