TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I'm not that old, turning 40 next year. I think that in the context of this thread (or SW&D), I'm in the tail of the curve though... Anyhow, who cares? The older person I know who wears ToJ is my dad - he is 66 and stole my suede blouson.... :slayer:

2. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

dude, you think that is weird? Some of my dreams combine TOJ with a lot of things... if this thread's discussion is the reality, then my dreams are... :eek: Some of the pieces have been conceptualized either almost fully or in some part in my dreams, I am not sure which anymore. I get really clear dreams sometimes, I have times where I'm working on things, they kinda meld together and solve their own problems in my head. :slayer:

If 36" for the inseam is gonna work for people, better to add the extra inch and then lop off whatever is needed in individual hem jobs, rather than have a bunch of people say they wish it was just one inch longer (pause) - the extra inch of fabric isn't gonna cost me the house, so whatever. I think 36" inseam is a little extravagant, you really do need to be about 6'5" with really freakishly long legs before you start questioning an inseam like that.

We can make black denim, but first I want to run some indigo raws, Made in Japan, the whole bit. Not repro denim, for sure. I want a pair of jeans I've been wishing for these past 6 years, something that combines a cool fit with nice but not extreme denim. I like APC's, they wear in nicely, the silver hardware is unbeatable if you want a pair of jeans that go with a bunch of casual stuff and can even step up to biz caz office jeans or something, and I've even come to embrace the crazy stretching and it makes part of the fit for me - but the end result after a year of hard-earned wear is kind of insipid, the fabric just doesn't make for the kind of contrast and depth that you'd want after that much wear. I also kind of begin to dislike the yellow, gravel-y color of the warp that comes through - tends to look like you just rolled around in a sandbox.

FWIW, I'm sitting here wearing a pair of Eternal 811's, I barely wear them out of the house because the fit is just so stupid looking on me. I have the Asian butt, so all I get a bunch of hip flare, really baggy but not stylishly baggy legs, the rise is too high for me to think about sagging them and making them look a bit cooler, they are a mess. The denim is cool I guess, but a bit hairy and slubby for my taste, prefer a slightly smoother fabric like the basic LVC 501 stuff. Those fade to a nice indigo shade. Still, for me, the fit on those is shitty as well. I gotta wear the European jeans for that fit.

3. impolyt_one

ah good point, forgot you gave your dad that jacket. I thought my old man was gonna be the oldest with a TOJ, guess not.

I guess to answer wj4's question though, the age range is a lot wider than he probably thinks, it's hard to tell a poster's age if they don't talk about it in some context. We get a lot of guys who email us and tell us how old they are as a preface for 'dude, this better not be too tight...'
    I make some stuff a little wilder than others so that it can cover a wider range - my dad wants a CWU-45, for example. I would wear that when I'm 60 as well. He isn't gonna look that great in a Quilted DR and I probably won't when I'm 60 either, but you know, some here, some there. I could probably die steezy of old age in an A-1, or the baseball jacket, the CWU45, the A-2, etc, etc. Since most are MTM and you can dial in however you want them to fit, the possibilities there are pretty wide ranging - it allows for pretty much any male past puberty all the way until death of natural causes to wear one or more of the TOJ's well.

Age isn't the biggest game changer and doesn't need to affect the design of your clothes so much IMO- it's probably more about staying fit and wearing nice clothes. I was sitting in the car yesterday watching this old guy with a white beard come down the overhead walkway in a tophat, cash DB coat over a suit, leather gloves and a big wool stole; guy looked like a really well-groomed version of Gen Fu - guy had more steez in his facial expressions alone than I've seen in months. He was wearing some pretty white-collar sartolialist-type stuff, but he would have looked just as cool in a beanie, the TOJ CWU-45 in black lamb, a knit turtleneck, and some trousers and chunky derbies or even monochrome black running shoes, or grey NBs 992's even.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012

4. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

i always loved the dior 19cm cut minus the inseam.. great for skinny asian body type

5. impolyt_one

The 19cm is a great cut for skinny Asians (many of which are in this thread...) but to note, a lot of the other popular denims come in around 19cm hems for a certain size, APC NS in my size (26 or 27) are about 19cm as well. The difference is that I think the Diors have a slight bit more rise in the front and a good amount (maybe an inch?) more in the back - they are well suited for sagging a bit if you have a flat butt. If you have a rounder butt I guess these things will fit slim bit ride higher, no surprises there.

I can't wait to have a nice pair of indigos that I can wear slung on the hips without branding (because well, I don't want to wear the Dior 'scar' anymore, that is really 2006) or the inch of my asscrack showing, which is what the APCs give everybody. We are good at locking in points and fits here, so expect that I won't be done with prototyping and fits til the day is truly done.

6. BlackToothedGrin

BlackToothedGrin Senior member

I for one hope TOJ thighs aren't as slim as DH. APC NS are already slightly slimmer than I would prefer. Also, I'd like to second the request for 36" inseams. Unhemmed APC's are long enough but I would prefer more stacking at 6'2".

7. impolyt_one

the Dior thighs are slim because the pattern has a really significant concave taper inwards, going to the knee - that isn't completely necessary, but there's only so much you can do while keeping a pair of jeans slim, at the same time. The same way the jackets kind of sprouted from my own personal idea of fit and expanded to a lot of different sizes, I think the jeans might have to too - better to start with what I know and want, than to just stab in the dark at it. There's already too many jeans in the market that do that. Be assured that I am not trying to make jeggings here, but jeans are gonna be a pretty esoteric decision because we honestly can't do the next-next level and charge a basement price on them either, so they're gonna a very 'normal' product in the scheme of things. They'll exist for the people whom they suit, and maybe grow from there if the need exists. Sounds kinda assholish, but that is the nature of having to mass produce (as in more than one) something. Doing MTM jeans would make for some $600-800 things, which is too much. Jeans should come in under $300, no matter how high quality they are.

8. impolyt_one

I am trying to keep the trousers under $200, btw.

9. l1mab3an

l1mab3an Senior member

Should have gone with 883's over 811's for your build, o well!

10. hhenryhhh

hhenryhhh Senior member

I remember reading about TOJ jeans in the old old superfuture thread, it's finally coming into fruition.

11. impolyt_one

yeah i found this out a month later from my fucking lost on the streets partner winq, guy was hanging out with me in LA and I asked him what kinda jeans he was wearing cuz they were pretty nice and Japanese-y looking, and he said Eternals - so I get here and IM the guy and ask him what size I need, and I buy the things, but then he tells me a month later they are 883's and not 811's :fu:

12. Rover!

Rover! Senior member

Don't really care for indigo raws anymore these days, but if black overdyes ever happen I'll make sure to pick up a pair.

13. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

Yes, please. None of my pants stay on my ass, and wearing a belt causes nothing but pain.

14. dibango

dibango Senior member

oldest guy who bought TOJ is probably aj_del, the dark peach 2.2 turned A1 for those that remember.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012

15. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

aj_del owns one ?? hahaha