TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

the jacket was part that and part others, but you know with footwear, and sneakers in particular - that is a mostly different game, different from clothing as I see it. Footwear is fast moving, hot, whatever you wanna call it - but the actual shoe designs are conservative and at this point in the game, often have to directly ripoff classics to reach commercial success. So in my mind, whereas 'base' clothing designs have gone through many incarnations, everything is slightly different but the same - people who undertake shoes are are fewer and end up making the same things. Either they work for the original maker, they make true knockoffs, or they're making one of the few designer 'homage' knockoffs... and then there's a fourth sect of designer originals, who are less successful than the first three.
    Margiela obviously made a relative design success by taking an existing (very well-designed, yet obscure) sneaker and making a vis a vis copy of it; for me and for any other designer who comes after that, there are limited chances at things the same way due to the limited number of pre-existing styles to riff on, and yes, design success often means being the first person to get to an old idea and put a unanimously agreeable contemporary slant to it. There are just a fixed number of sneaker forms out there and people tend to gravitate to the same ones naturally. People don't even really realize the design basis for the sneakers they love, but there's two camps - homages and from scratch, and the former often contains big sellers, the latter contains a lot more design flops than successes.
    For example, some popular styles:

Common Projects Achilles low and mid, ie the original CPs = Converse One Star low and mid (original, pre-Nike era), sans the star.
    Common Projects B-Ball high = Nike AF1 inspired
    Rick Owens 'dunks' = AF1 inspired
    the YSL Rollings that everybody liked = Vans Sk8 Hi inspired
    Margiela has the GATs plus a few other replica styles, the ones that aren't GATs tend to be insignificant no-brand European style trainers and end up on Yoox
    Raf Simons velcro sneakers, the classic season to season ones that started in 2005, and not all the newer 'rafstro' styles - the Velcros were a mix of Vans Sk8 Hi with a revised closure, that's about it.

Clean-slate, all-original designs, that you see pop up around here from time to time:
    most KVA stuff - some are good, and some aren't as good, but I think he is one of the best for original footwear design.
    Lanvin - they are about 50/50 on this, because you could argue that as a captoe sneaker that came in high/low versions, there are elements of the Chuck Taylor, but not really. There are people who took them to be that, and Lanvins were more of a success then than they were when they got away from that... but the Lanvins that don't adhere to the classic mono or two-tone captoe sneaker look tend to be design flops and sometimes true eyesores.

As you can see by the responses in this thread recently, people's expectations of clothing tend to be more open and welcoming of interpretation, whereas shoe design is something very sacred and pre-determined, people tend to want something that exists already or at least something that has root in the familiar. Men and shoe fetishism are probably a true 180 from women and shoe fetishism, I believe - I think men tend to view their 'dream' shoe closet as being like that pic vox posted of the closet with 300 pairs of brown shoes or a bunch of shoes that look the same, in different colors, whereas a women's dream shoe collection would varied and just full of different styles, boots, shoes, sandals, every color, every material, etc.

I said this on sufu a couple years ago actually, haha. Were you reading the thread back then? I am not sure about those now, I think I am possibly over sneakers, see above...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  2. wzjradam

wzjradam Senior member

might your vtg jacket be in the sample sale?

3. impolyt_one

no, I damaged it beyond repair and the sizing was a bit unique anyway. There's one more in my closet though, untanned.

there's gonna be a nice mix of things in the sample sale though, since we haven't had one in a long time....

4. Nereis

Nereis Senior member

Please tell me there is a red baseball jacket in a size 48 in there somewhere. :slayer:

5. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

I think I can fit into your sizing... :devil:

6. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

Huh, for some reason I thought CP Achilles lows were based on Stan Smiths, not Converse.

Safe to assume that the sample sale won't have much for the tall & lanky?

7. impolyt_one

Stan Smiths are probably some part of the recipe, but they're mostly these, minus the star and the diagonal stitches that hold the star inlay panel in:

[​IMG]

8. impolyt_one

mid version (there are a fuckload of One Stars that aren't authentic and are just brand exercises from recent years, I've just discovered from google search)

[​IMG]

9. unfuccwittable

unfuccwittable Member

not to sound like a creeper, but could you post pics? I wanna get my girl one for vday, and I'm pretty sure actually seeing one would help sell me on the idea.

10. impolyt_one

Vday would be a rush order unless you order now... just saying :eek: We're still running at full capacity and have a week of Chinese New Year's to contend with.

11. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

TOJ machine keeps on rollin'

Got my eye on a black A-2 bomber....

12. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

13. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

There's pics of a previous gf DR in the gallery

http://toj-gallery.com/main.php?g2_itemId=2650

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  14. unfuccwittable

unfuccwittable Member

no worries. I think for a perfect fitting, impeccably styled leather jacket she'll allow me the extra time. 'sides, it's the thought that counts, no?

15. impolyt_one

correct... if she allows you time for custom made clothing like that though, she is one hell of a woman. :eek: