TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

bump for more Porsche

2. cowsareforeating

cowsareforeating Senior member

drew you gonna start a us publication soon? sounds like you got the market on lock.

eta of sample sale? :p

3. DLester

DLester Senior member

Interesting, I would like to check this out. There is a place near my office with impossible to find foreign mags; I will see if they carry it. I assume it is 98% or more Japanese so it would just be for the pics.....

4. LPatterson

LPatterson Senior member

Just received a cracked pepper Chesterfield that I managed to instakop from B&S...it's such an underrated (underappreciated?) TOJ offering. For once, I'm actually glad I'm obligated to travel to colder climates, as I'll get to wear this coat more than I would otherwise.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012

5. impolyt_one

I doubt it. I don't profess to know what's gonna happen tomorrow, I just know how to figure out some idea of what's happening today :eek:

:slayer: I don't know if I'll bring it back, but I liked them when they were around. The lookbook shots from last year (can see them on the facebook page) represent the cracked pepper Chesterfield well....

6. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

Oooooh, would love to pick up a varsity or bomber or something. What are prices usually like for sample pieces? Size 46 right?

7. BB1

BB1 Senior member

I think you're right about SENSE being the closest overall match to this forum's SW&D aesthetic. Heck I've noticed they even sometimes cover brands I like such as junhashimoto.

But honestly, with the Internet I see little reason to buy print magazines anymore. It's as pointless as having the local news paper delivered to your door everyday. The only use I have for magazines is when trapped on a plane.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012

8. impolyt_one

man, SENSE has a lot of the things you like, I think, BB1. I mean you are a fan of specific brands and buy up a lot of their catalogs, so a magazine can't cover that much of a specific brand unless they get well paid to (and it's easy to figure out which brands do this), but they have the ones you like in there, issue after issue.

Magazines are good to read once in awhile though man, they all have different purposes. I mean for some, looking at a bunch of fits categorized like OCEANS would be helpful. Mens EX is encylopedic in clothesmaking info at times and gives trivia for those MCers to show off with; HUGE is confused now but was good for the kinds of clothes that are hotly discussed here, but rarely seen (ie high end and experimental stuff)... Something for everybody.
    For me, I live really close to all these stores that get play in the mags, but I don't necessarily hit up all the stores like a weekly circuit or anything (it'd cost a bunch of money just to subway, cab it or park your car to go window shopping like that all the time, and rather dull if you're not doing shopping sprees all the time either), and neither does anybody else, so it's nice to know what's out there at least. A lot of the stores are often dead.... so if I pick up a magazine and see a featured item I like, there's a chance I can call them up and check, then go across town and get one for myself a month later. Tons of features but the real world moves a bit slower nowadays.
    They're like catalogs. Maybe I just like reading catalogs, I always have. When I was 5 or 6 I used to sit around and read all the junk mail catalogs front to back and absorb all the pictures and info. :eek: Not of the internet generation....

The internet though, you're right, it has a lot of the same stuff. I will say though, that most of the info you glean on the English-language internet regarding Japanese market stuff is usually late and spotty in coverage. For example, Hypebeast has been doing frontpage articles more frequently on Japanese market stuff, but they're usually 1-2-3 months late and sometimes sold out by the time people find out about them. The Japanese print magazines usually get them out on time to coincide with releases and stuff.

Like I said, I think the magazines are generally a good thing, and are one big component of the machine that makes all of these people who are interested in clothes become decent dressers - there's this visual and informational assault via print mags. The English language internet , mostly by amateurs, has more content than GQ or Esquire ever dreamed of 10 years ago, but still doesn't quite come close to the polished turnout that the magazines can do. You can come on styleforum and learn more than you ever wanted to about clothes, and find your way into a buying a huge wardrobe full of them - but putting them together, knowing what is trendy now and later, that doesn't come through as easily on the forums. It sounds like the basis for a meme, but forums like these are '1 million posts, 10 fits' or something like that. It rises from this different American clothing culture, one that is very much developing and new to a lot of things.

9. baconzilla

baconzilla Senior member

10. .Kurtz.

.Kurtz. Senior member

Very nice jacket (and hairstyle) :fonz:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012

11. Alcyone

Alcyone Member

Ditto. Synthese rocks everything well.

12. BlackToothedGrin

BlackToothedGrin Senior member

can someone comment on the feel of the toj-1. Is it soft and pliable or more structured? Does it feel like you could lounge around in it all day?

13. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

was this a :lurk: -enticing post?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012

14. Crump's Brother

Crump's Brother Senior member

that's what i thought of when he initially mentioned TOJ shoes

i think earlier in the thread he said that would be his ideal shoe

15. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

I actually think that's the best photo of the baseball jacket I've ever taken :embar:

Willy, will there be a VTG section in the gallery soon? I am hoping people will post aging pictures and it'd be cool to save them somewhere.