TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

That 'look' is pretty standard across the board now, as I was saying, so you will find it in various permutations in most magazines now... but considering your tastes I think both Men's Non-no and Men's Joker might be ok, though occasionally peppered with 'cheap' clothes amongst the mid-market stuff; SENSE has a lot of the things you would like, but resembles a catalog with very few fits (so it's like styleforum, in other words) plus some high end stuff you'd probably not be interested in....

HUGE is awesome like once a year, and the rest of the issues are duds.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  2. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

Synth, put up a pic!

3. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Senior member

Yeah I figured it was based on what you were saying so that's what provoked me to ask for some tips. I'll pop in after work tomorrow and try and get 2 of those 3. See what looks promising. Thanks man!

4. Islander

Islander Senior member

They are definitely not more styled than I think they are.

EDIT: For what it's worth, I don't know enough to really describe what I like. Phrases like "guidi styled" and "carpe styled" mean little to me, I just collect inspirational pictures of things I would wear on my feet.

But your use of the phrase "dark artisanal aesthetic" was super-impressive.

5. Harbin

Harbin Senior member

Pics for sure please! Thinking of snatching one up for my girl

6. A Fellow Linguist

A Fellow Linguist Senior member

Drew, would Men's Joker / Non-no have The Soloist, Kolor, 08 Sircus, stuff along those lines?

7. chaos

chaos Senior member

+1

would like to see gdl203's UMDR as well, it sounds great - I'm guessing it's sans-pocket on the chest like the VTG model

8. hhenryhhh

hhenryhhh Senior member

^I might've missed a page or something, but what does the "U" stand for again?

9. impolyt_one

those lines are a little more expensive and experimental at times, Joker/Non-no are very mainstream, nearly fast fashion and ultra-trendy. Those brands would be more along the lines of HUGE, if they'd actually produce more than one or two issues a year with clothing features. :fu:

10. cowsareforeating

cowsareforeating Senior member

mmm sure the leather would look different that was just the shape for reference? what if the welt was dyed black or was black with black sticthing... i dont remember the goodyear welt on my grensons being super obtrusive although the shape was nothing like that shoe but as far as i know that wouldnt influence it?

11. wj4

wj4 Senior member

The real questions are will the shoes come with dust bags and ToJ shoe trees!

12. PDinh

PDinh Senior member

ultra minimalist dr i think.

UMDR

13. impolyt_one

If people are interested in a oneMagazine (tm) again, I think SENSE is the blueprint for Styleforum's SW+D at this point really. It has men's mode, mid-market, some near fast fashion, but doesn't address 'cheap' stuff. Japanese magazines actually express their target market on the cover above the title usually, like 'for girls between 18 to 22 who like cute style!' - SENSE is the merging of two old magazines, one was the old SENSE and then something else that I can't recall, but the two together now make a large format that supposedly 'caters to the 20's and the 40's alike!' and has a bit of everything. You will see a bit of Louis Vuitton RTW next to some Bedwin, some Visvim next to some Mastermind Japan, or Loewe and Junya, rather than being an eclectic mix it's just a straight up trawl of the market that relates to casual mid to high priced clothing.

I think TOJ fits in with SENSE really well, except that my stuff still costs about half as much as the cheapest stuff in there, and is on par or sometimes better quality, too. an 110,000 leather jacket over here doesn't really give back a whole lot usually. Sometimes the 170,000Y leathers break through and are nice, sometimes not. The yen is strong and the brands keep getting more expensive...

Sometimes guys will come to me in the TOJ email saying 'listen Drew, I'm much older than the average SW+D kid and don't plan to wear that stuff like them, but I like some of the styles and i want a TOJ jacket' - these guys need to pick up OCEANS magazine - nice street snap magazine with hundreds of outfits, tightly categorized by dominant features like a certain style of coat or boots, etc. The new issue I have has two pages of street snaps of guys wearing grey New Balances, for example, and then goes to the next page about duffle coats. It's interesting. It's just that some of the fits are slightly more conservative than the stylings that tween would like, and is supposed to be geared towards guys about 40 and onwards.

There are some magazines devoted young business wear, like a cheap version of Men's EX, as well. No quality, just trimly cut cheap suits and styling for guys who aren't even into their 3rd year on the job and have X income to style themselves with, like the magazine Gainer.

Part of the age demographic thing with these magazines is simple socioeconomics - they're gearing expensive clothes towards guys who are 40 or more, and mid priced brands to guys about mid 20's onward; cheap clothes are the domain of Mens non-no, it's for teenagers up til very young adults only, really.

That is/was the problem with American fashion/style magazines like GQ, Esquire, et al - the reader demographic rarely coincided with the pricetags or general styles of the clothes they feature, and so American style has no focus and people dress badly as a result. It is generally accepted that formal clothes=stylish in those magazines, so it's all suits and really vanilla casual outfits styled up with famous white guys baring their chests... and so people use those as a gateway, buy that stuff, google search for a 'forum for style'.... end up here.... ask the inevitable.... you know how this story goes.... :fu: You know what? This was me, like 10 years ago, before the internet really took off with content, I read GQ and Esquire when I lived in America, bought a very different brand profile... :fu: The information set that the internet affords now is amazing.
    The entire MC forum is populated by a few old 1%er guys who've been buying a certain type of 'nice clothes' for ages, and then the rest of the MCers are the aforementioned ex-GQ/Esquire crossover types... I am always surprised to find out that some of SF's elite posters are like, 24, and that despite the fact that they post mostly in other forums after losing their taste for the huge pricetag game up in MC, they all actually came here originally for the clothes....

14. impolyt_one

I think I hear from my associates in Korea that there will probably need to be a sample sale sometime soon. I don't know what's in the mix but it's some older stuff dug out of the archives when I moved, etc. Same drill, different clothes.

15. TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES Senior member

Hopefully there's a baseball jacket in there.