TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

depends on how you want to get them really, you can probably call a Kinokuniya in America, or you could maybe get them through fujisan.com.... or yes, proxy (F+E is a very heavy magazine, so shipping is a kilo per)... sometimes Amazon even offers subscriptions to Japanese magazines.
    SOmetimes you can track down scans in zip files on the internet, but they're not always very good magazines and not the ones I really mentioned most of the time. The scans are done in China and hosted on Chinese sites I think, so some of the choices tend to be more street-y than people here would probably like... there's a thread on sufu with updated links to magazine scans you can down.

If you are paying twice the cover price outside of Japan, that's a pretty good rate. Shipping is expensive to get those issues somewhere on time. The inverse is living in Asia and trying to buy an American or European magazine at an import bookstore - they are like $20-30 and so much thinner and smaller than a Japanese magazine, which is like a catalog.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012

2. impolyt_one

3. impolyt_one

yes. The reassessment of values is a good thing, it allows for change. There are brands that can change, there are brands that do not want to or don't have to change - but the value of money changes, as we have seen in recent years.
    People aren't going to quit spending money on clothes, nor should they, if they can afford it - but questioning and reassessing the value content is a good thing - markets and manufacturing evolve on production as well, things can become cheaper year on year, and accessibility increases (and therefore 'cool' decreases)

Anyway, the noughts were frought with lots of clothes just increasingly being expensive to be expensive, it started when Dior Homme sparked this menswear thing and came with reasonably high price tags, and then culminated at the end of the decade with Rick Dunks, Balmain Homme, and $1000 Givenchy screen printed sweatshirts. I mean, Dior Homme wasn't cheap, but it seems like a downright value compared to that other stuff....

4. impolyt_one

I think to add to that bit about the magazines and their self-determined positions, I'd say, for example:

DLester would be really into SENSE. It has a bit more Japanese midmarket and Americana but it's the magazine for guys who buy all baller stuff but don't necessarily need to style it like a magazine editorial. I actually think that TOJ fits in best with SENSE, the aesthetic at least, the TOJ price point is a bit low for that range.

Man of Kent among many others would like OCEANS - it puts a real life spin on a lot of the workwear and American inspired stuff he has and wears in outfits.

Fuuma would really like Huge, if he could read through all the Japanese essays and shit.

A lot of younger guys who post to this thread would like Men's Joker probably.

our dear old friend robbie, who is now cool on superfuture, would like Free and Easy (though he'd complain that all of it is too expensive I guess)

Most of the clothes aren't gonna surprise you, you've seen them all on the internet before, know what they cost, etc - but to see them styled up or seeing editorials on them would be fun I think.

Apart from fashion mags I buy Casa Brutus (home and lifestyle, design) and RD -Real Design- monthly of good design products. I love magazines.

5. realmisr

realmisr Well-Known Member

I'd love for TOJ to make some black calf or cordovan CCP like boots. They are well designed, minimal, functional (side zip) and materials and construction is great. Sounds like TOJ to me!

Please tell me you will offer sizes for us small feet dus =/

6. drmmr

drmmr Senior member

VTG derbies and side/back zips.

7. impolyt_one

none of you dus would actually wear raw/natural veggie tan shoes. They would look like flesh, and they would get dirtier faster than you could age them.

8. dibango

dibango Senior member

on the subject of jp mags, drew you should check out mens ex dec 2011. lots of footwear production discussion.

9. impolyt_one

I probably have it... let me check..

:fu: I have November and January... worth amazon'ing?

10. drmmr

drmmr Senior member

I'll wear veggie tan derbies hard. I'm more concerned about the breaking in process.

11. pronxs

pronxs Senior member

12. Nereis

Nereis Senior member

We at styleforum have officially jumped the shark, veg-tanned derbies. Wow.:nodding:

13. jwjp

jwjp Senior member

14. buran

buran Senior member

I still don't like the look of them. Not for me.

15. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

Which is a good argument for not going for veg-tanned shoes. I didn't think that worked well, considering the effort put in.