TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

I agree. It would be easier. You can't compare your experiences of buying other brand footwear to what these would be. We would be making these ourselves and know what the inner last sizes out to, all one needs to do is reliably measure their foot on a Brannock. If you have troubles buying footwear online with other brands of shoes (and I do too) - it's because the people who are selling them to you don't really know anything about sizing or the product. You can call Tres Bien Shop and say 'hey I'm a 41 in Common Projects... what size Margielas should I get?' and they will know because they probably own both niche pairs of shoes, but if you're talking about hassles with bigger stores and more unique or disparate products, it's because the people just don't really know and are guessing, mostly. Apples to oranges. If I make the shoes, I know what they measure out to. I will buy a Brannock device and gauge each of the lasts, it's as simple as that.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012

2. impolyt_one

If you're the kind of person so inclined to alter a boot like that - the boot with a zip would be easier to slim the shaft on than a boot without a zip, just saying. Ask your lady friends how this works, they do this to all their boots.

3. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Side zips without ridiculous treatments or strangely viking-ship-prow-like upturned toes.

4. stick

stick Senior member

Seconding (thirding maybe) the jodhpurs. None of that elastic side nonsense. Something with a nice strap, all the ones I've seen look too dainty. And with a last that isn't too sleek.

5. impolyt_one

The 2010 DR and the Quilted DR, and then the obvious military jackets - those are my out and out ripoffs of classics (but try the originals, and see where they stand next to mine) - and then the rest are classical form factors done from scratch by me. That is what fashion design is, though. I don't go too crazy with the aesthetic by choice*, and TOJ doesn't have runway shows with outlandish styling, but take away those parts and you will see that Rick Owens makes MA-1s, basketball shorts, Nike AF1's, bomber and moto style leather jackets, etc. Raf Simons makes MA-1's, shirts and knits, trousers, derbies. There are motifs, there are foundations, the general game is the same though.

* I want people to be able to wear my clothes longer than a season or two, and to me, the best way to do that is by making something that is not going to look dated in 3 years. I mentioned RO because the very nature of that design aesthetic is irrelevant. I live in a city where people dress the way you guys will in two or three years, and I can say that the crystal ball holds no Rick Owens in your future.

I think possibly the idea of fashion design is misunderstood here... it's not sitting in a white atelier behind an easel, drawing fashion plates all day, lol

6. A Fellow Linguist

A Fellow Linguist Senior member

I had no idea that something like this was possible. This is a huge revelation for me!!!

7. GBear

GBear Senior member

I hope Charly is ready for a crapload of emails with pictures of people's feet. :foo:

8. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

would be interested to hear more about this, just curiosity

9. impolyt_one

You guys want to know what you're gonna look like in two years, you mean?

10. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

I miss Japan.

Excited to see the boots drew.

11. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

More interested in the transitioning than flat out knowing. I feel some members may get mad, and feel like knowing will take away from their enthuisasiam in this hobbyIt's just a topic of interest personally, and now that you have kind of said it out loud, it makes sense more when you leave comments/critques like in random fashion/recent purchase threads

on topic regarding footwear: i'm saving money for your shoes drew, i hope all the collective ideas here and of your own become reality

12. impolyt_one

Well, things don't change that quickly, so don't be worried - what you see here on styleforum, many of the threads - they will probably still be active in two years time - Alden, the trousers, the long coats and boots, knits, vests, nice shirts, the workwear and the mountaineering stuff, along with the faux technical stuff - these things still have mileage in them. Drop crotch basketball shorts, uncircumsized leather jackets, basically all gothninja - it was a good run, but we will finally be able to donate those things to goodwill.

13. impolyt_one

I did too, enough to come back. :devil:

14. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

Just out of curiosity, what are you considering "goth-ninja" enough to be outdated? A lot of the shit seems, as we've said, pretty much like a slightly different take on boots, pants, and a leather jacket.

15. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

goodwill?? ouch

also heard you mentioning chopping off your hair and wearing more suits, interesting

thanks for feeding my curiosity :)