1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. onijo84

onijo84 Senior member

What is the jacket worn by the dude in the 2nd last picture?

2. malaujai

malaujai Senior member

^ lol every leather in that post was a moto...

3. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

It's the moto but it's been washed by Aeglus

4. If that's true...my god. I might have to change my order

1 person likes this.
  5. ILikeBacon

ILikeBacon Senior member

For the past couple months I've really wanted a tan baseball, but now hearing that TOJ may be coming to an end soon... I'm thinking maybe I should get a suede A-1 or a brown lamb A-2 instead :/

Ideally I would want a baseball and either the A-1 or A-2 but realistically I wouldn't be able to fund buying both within a couple months (or less) :(.
    What do you guys think? I feel like everyone has the A-2 -- it's no question a dope, classic jacket -- but I feel as if the A-1 doesn't get as much love as it should. I've always wanted a nice leather but there's something about the suede A-1 that just intrigues me...

I wear a lot of oxfords and plain v-neck/crew sweaters and tees. Pretty basic shit. And shoes wise I wear like Vans/Clark's DBs/RW IRs/Suede Bucks. HELP GUYS?

1 person likes this.
  6. aaaeeeiiiooouuu

aaaeeeiiiooouuu Senior member

TOJ isn't ending- just TOJ in its current incarnation, including the MTM service

that said, i agree that the A1 doesn't get enough love and imo it's superior to the A2. perhaps the A2 would be a better "everyday" jacket, however.

and i don't know what drew's plans are, but i have a feeling that now may be your only chance to get a BB jacket, so i'd get one of those, foremost of all

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  7. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

And you are getting rid of MTM Drew? :(

8. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

Glad I got my fix (for now) on the TOJ leathers before MTM is going the way of the dodo--otherwise, would be bummed.

Would be interesting to see how it all plays out, as MTM with no inventory is a completely different beast (business-model-wise) than a RTW/OTR business.

9. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Just read the last few pages of this thread...

Short answer, yes.

10. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

I'm curious how returns will play in. Different consumer expectations for different business model. Will be interesting to see.

11. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

^ you know from all the juicy tidbits that Drew occasionally gives out about his business model, I think I've effectively mapped the cost of his raw materials and labor and determined his margin and gross profit for each jacket. It's a nice business with low risk but no scalability--his bottleneck has always been his skilled labor. They simply can't output any faster, which sort of leads to the long lead times.

I'm surprised that MTM is going away because I always saw that as one of TOJ's competitive advantages, but I'm also not surprised because it causes a great deal of headache. Personally, I find all this fascinating and will be dialed in once TOJ comes back.

12. smashwindow

smashwindow Senior member

I'm not gnna cry as the stock 52 is pretty damn close to the custom measurements on my a-1 (except shoulders)

13. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

As a serial user (abuser) of the tweaking possibilities (I think only 1 of my 7 ToJ was a menu item), I feel a little bad for making Drew's life difficult. I will miss the unique bespoke feel (I won't lie) but I still think what ToJ puts out as standard designs is great.

If the business model moves to OTR sizing, full run production, no more made-to-order, is it fair to assume that customers will be able to return/exchange items that don't fit ?

14. transient

transient Senior member

Oh darn, and I was looking forward to getting a jacket upon securing employment. But thinking about it I'm thankful of my super average proportions so hopefully OTR options will have a killer fit as well.

Curious how this will affect prices....?

15. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Go on, I'm listening. Although maybe that shouldn't be said in public :paranoia:

16. artishard116

artishard116 Senior member

if he didn't want to do it, he'd say no.

17. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

yep, we do say no to people if it's not going to work out... quite often actually

18. impolyt_one

As always, I'd offer legitimate exchanges for defective items, but the items will still be shipped from Asia, so the cost of shipping precludes returns/exchanges in some sort of Mr Porter'esque sense. I also don't like the idea of tried-on clothes getting restocked and so I'd have to trash them upon receipt and charge a 'restocking fee'. I wouldn't want to buy some shirt that some other guy has tried on, and we've never sold anybody a first-quality full priced item that was made for anybody but the person who ordered it (in fact, we have always had the ability to have people's names embroidered into the linings for ID, but I skipped on that because it would kill the second hand market, which I like like/don't like) Anyway, I would want a crispy cellophane packed product myself, so I try to reconcile my business needs with the attitude of someone who surfs the clothes boards and buys clothing as a customer as well, I do that too, like anybody else.

If economies of scale were implemented (and that's not gonna happen for awhile, that also requires massive volume) then perhaps room for big-seller stuff like returns/exchanges could happen, but I see that as a losing battle mainly. Would not do under any normal circumstances, unfortunately. Interesting point to make is that the patterns for MIJ stuff will probably be done on computer and therefore will be shifted towards fitting the same per tag size, and also be able to output an exterior and interior size chart automatically, so size charts will continue to be there with exquisite detail, and of course with line production it means the charts can focus on accuracy.

1 person likes this.
  19. impolyt_one

Keep in mind that Charly will still be around to answer size questions as well. He just won't need to do the work of sizing people for MTM, rather he'll just be getting info and assigning OTR sizes.

20. woody^^

woody^^ Well-Known Member

How long have you been thinking of moving to OTR instead? Thinking back, all the talk of glasses, shoes, jeans, chinos, pants etc kind of makes more sense now.