TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. IDH

IDH Senior member

Thanks for the two replies, I agree about the contrast between black and gun metal - thats what originally tempted me to get gun metal.

I'll give it some more thought today - but at the moment I think it will be gun metal.

IDH

2. chion

chion Member

Ordered a fishtail and got hit with the warmest winter in years. [​IMG]

Last year I couldn't even get to the next town because of all the snow, right now it looks like spring outside. [​IMG]

3. Toganpro

Toganpro Member

Got my tracking num for my fishtail, wooo!!

4. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Probably that time of year again when I explain the basics, and maybe an email policy update here:

-You guys gotta be reasonably courteous with your email inquiries, because there are many other people like you trying to make purchases as well. There are people who've taken the email threads past 100 emails, which is ridiculous. You don't even want to know the sagas that happen within.
    TOJ's can be copped within as little as 1 email and a payment, sometimes 2 or 3 - the average might be about 10 or 15 back and forths from both sides if it's fully MTM'ed, there are a lot of questions, etc. There is something misunderstood on the customer side if it's taking 100 emails or more, sorry, even 50 or 60 per piece.

I think from now on, heading into this new year, we are going to enact a case by case email policy that would be similar to waiting on someone in a store - if you're asking reasonable questions and doing business with us in a reasonable manner, you will receive our utmost service as always, so that's like 99% of our customer base.
    If things get unreasonable and you're asking questions about the price of eggs, you probably won't hear back from us. Gotta cut our losses at some point.

TOJ doesn't make customs and we don't make 'salad bar' mix n match pieces - everything has a different pattern, is made by different people, is developed piece by piece, manufactured one by one, and not intended to be done a different way. Dan controls the production responsibilities, but he is not the creative force or the patternmaker, and thus he can't be expected to make all kinds of wacky custom changes for the sake of changing something. It's pointless.
    We have made custom requests in the past, but these are only offered to certain people (usually people well acquainted with the TOJ product and process) who fully understand that making a one-off piece of clothing takes time and sometimes more money to create than the stock, already developed offerings. Real life isn't just lasso'ing and pasting something from some other jacket onto another.

I feel most of the custom requests come from people who don't fully understand what we offer in the first place, they aren't even aware it exists maybe. They hear the word 'custom' and it's kneejerk thing where people want to have some special - dudes, trust me, we don't make so many of each piece that any of them would be considered less than special or unique.
    We don't make highnecks or fencings, we don't make what we made 2 years ago, we don't make Restoration Hardware leather jackets - there are good reasons for all of that. You guys gotta go buy those if that is what you want. TOJ will be here for the people who understand what is on offer. I prefer it this way.

People on the the forums, even the admin of this forum, have criticized the fact that I only operate out of two forum threads and that it's small - sure, I am not getting that Ed Hardy money, but there is something even better this way - almost everyone who sits and reads these threads for awhile understands the product for the most part, and when they get it, they're happy - the success rate always exceeds all reasonable expectations. That is the opposite of hype, there's genuine goodness in all of this. I'd rather have a bunch of informed customers rather a bunch of people who buy and then don't realize or are uninformed on what they're actually purchasing.
    There are the occasional trolls in this thread - but even they understand what it is I make, and what they could expect to receive.

Anyway, this doesn't apply to 95-99% of our customers - no worries, you guys are great and there's a great chemistry between artisan and product happening still, and you will not find something like anywhere else - I'm just trying to hold up the end here from sagging.

5. noirwest

noirwest Senior member

Good news: My duffle shipped out today!

Bad news: I'm back home for the holidays and it'll be a little more than a week before I can get my hands on it... [​IMG]

I think it took TOJ less than 4 weeks to make it, that's impressive work guys. Maybe if I keep my fingers crossed my TOJ1 will show up before I get back too.

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I apologize for my people. I saw that, laughed, and gave them a reasonable list of brands. No idea why the fuck they didn't change those. There are some other issues with the survey, but that is a huge one. Once Huddler reopens after holiday, I'm calling them and giving them a fucking piece of my mind.

7. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

8. Nereis

Nereis Senior member

The reasoning behind this is that for the average joe out there who is probably not a very skinny kid with little to no drop, the moto will either blouse out (if he is brolic and has a massive drop) or look like a sausage casing (if he has a bit of a gut going). For the longest time the motos were getting the worst fit pics out of all the leathers. Guys who knew they couldn't rock the DRs were getting the motos, wanting that style but not realising that the bombers were better for them IMO. The bombers are just a more versatile cut.

That's not to say that the harder it is to make work, the better, because Drew himself stands by the CWU-45 in black. Hell, that's going to be my next leather in fact.

9. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

fit battle, good camera out of commission, super contrived smoking photos

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

also this

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]​

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  10. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

really like the floral shirt under that dr.
    good job on the collar too. i need to make myself one for the og helmut lang but i cant decide on what type of fur to go with :/

11. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

Coyote is pretty cheap and super warm. The fur actually feels like wearing a scarf. You could do fox as well, and rabbit is good but you'd need multiple pelts.

12. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

coyote seems like a good choice. i had a canada goose :hide: with coyote fur on the hood and it held up well in the winter

13. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Bringing all the fit contest entries to the top so that ones that have been missed, you can go to and click on the arrow next to their name if you want to put in a vote for them. Some of the early guys didn't get many votes when people didn't realize the fit battle was happening.

I tried to quote every pic that seemed like a fit battle entry (i.e. whatever was not a 'hey i just got my jacket, the end' or 'this is not for the fit battle') - If I left you out and you want in, you can pm me and I'll add you, or you can requote yourself if you want. Conversely, if I quoted you and it wasn't supposed to be an entry, I can take it down…

You guys have 1 day left in the second annual TOJ walk-off! :slayer:

14. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

missed some of those so i went back to vote :)
    too cold outside to wear my only toj so here is old snow (wow, this is last spring!!)
    [​IMG]

15. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

WTF snow in raw denim? jk. I really liked your tactical squad steeze last winter too :embar: