TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. chaos

chaos Senior member

^ here's who you saw i think

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011

2. about11oclock

about11oclock Senior member

so many missed connections. When I see someone on the street in ny wearing a toj, I fully intend to say hi.

3. GBear

GBear Senior member

I wore my calf MDR walking home around 5-6 miles in HEAVY rain. I haven't noticed any cracking or damage. :slayer:

4. vaalbara

vaalbara Senior member

iirc drew said (and what i've noticed personally) is that calf really doesn't give a fuck about rain - dunno about lamb, though.

also, any ToJers in berlin for NYE?

5. buran

buran Senior member

My toj1 was "handed over to air carrier" for 5 days. Then last night it had suddenly cleared customs in destination country and it's now in my hands. Fit is perfect, love it. I can raise my arms to do the helicopter easily, the only thing is that the back of the neck rises a little and sort of gives me an air intake in the neck. This makes being an airplane more natural than being a helicopter. See picture (top half). Now I just have to charge my camera and I can enter fit battle.

[​IMG]

6. DamnBeavers

DamnBeavers Member

Have any european gotten their toj stuck in customs? If I'll order one, VAT and customs might kill me...

7. buran

buran Senior member

I've had a toj1 shipped to both the EU (UK) and Norway. None of them got caught in customs. Both packages had a marked value of 20 USD.

8. dibango

dibango Senior member

Rain (or any water) dries out the lamb leather, and washes away the lanolin.
    So if you get your jacket wet on the regular, it will get drier and in result crispier and less soft.
    When this happens, you can apply lanolin (get it at target or something) to rejuvenate the leather.

9. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

Or you can do what I did and not give a fuck and keep wearing it and have it naturally return to buttery soft within like a day. And I washed my jacket along with wearing it in the rain a bunch.

10. dibango

dibango Senior member

Are you talking lamb or calf? My experience is with brown lamb, and after the sleeves got wet a few times they did not naturally return to their original softness at all. Even after wearing it extensively.

11. mike1445

mike1445 Senior member

She just did a Costanza and checked the material; hasn't been this excited in decades. Asked "Where to kop?" Wj4 just takes another lick, "Internet."

12. grizzlybear

grizzlybear Senior member

Is it only me or do all the camel varsities look gross? that color way is not flattering on that type of jacket

13. l1mab3an

l1mab3an Senior member

It fills me with pride to have started such a crucial step in insuring your fit is perfect... Can you helicopter? :foo:

14. MikkoN

MikkoN Senior member

I promised to shut the hell up about my adventures in VTG treatment...but I can not.
    The thirst of the material is uncanny. Now that the previous treatments have sunk in pretty well, I have a problem.
    It's raing here like 24/7, so I got pretty wet today.
    Water is not a friend of this stuff in its unsaturated form, so more stuff going in.
    Next run is going to be Belvoir leather balsam. Excellent beeswax based stuff that penetrates leather very well.
    After this application this jacket can no longer be described as white or cream. My test pieces show that wax on oil darkens the leather a good bit.
    At this point, I welcome this as I'm already pretty fed up with walking around in white leather.:embar:
    Also, weather being what it is, I need to waterproof this thing for sure in order not to :fu: this jacket up.

15. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Be sure not to over-condition or oil it; if it gets wet, the excess will just run out. Mild rain and environmental moisture will not hurt it much.

I soaked the sample jacket about 5 or 6 times in the shower, and dried it naturally - it just kept washing the neatsfoot out. Leather got a little harder in places naturally, but it does spread the oil around even more. That is good. On the not so bright side, it's hard to modulate effects like that, so go easy on it. I don't think I intended for them to go too dark too quickly.
    Are you brushing it regularly? I never did that, but I can see that might be like giving the pores a massage.