• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

bakatora

Reaction score
Drew how much longer do i have to order another TOJ1? Got my light grey and it fits way better than the bball i picked up.

bakatora

Reaction score
yes, friends is one of my favorite shows of all time. also, it must have been a really cold set. perky nips all over the place in every episode. :D

buran

Reaction score
^fit pics?

Also, my jacket has been "handed over to air carrier" for 4 days. I'm impatient.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
"air carrier" must've been enjoying Christmas a bit too much :eek:

pronxs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

dibango

Reaction score

Given the above, this would be a no-layer piece - basically just a tshirt or button down. Gotta be lightweight enough to be able to wear out at night when its in the 70's and there's high humidity. I'm perfectly willing to consider lamb if you think that'll be a better option. I want that design and color though.

Dude, asking for a custom remake? Not cool.
Just get this in brown lamb.

Last edited:

MikkoN

Reaction score
My last poast on the VTG treatments.
After few days of wear some of the squeak is returning. Just applied two coats of mink oil.
Did not eliminate the squeakiness like lotion did. Did soften the material a bit though.

Now, the colour is light beige. I'd say that from now on, this jackets needs wear, wear, wear and some more wear. UV light would be great too, but it's middle of the ******* Winter in N.Europe!
So, wear it will be until Spring is here.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Dude, asking for a custom remake? Not cool.
Just get this in brown lamb.

What's the problem with that? I'd rather give my business to Drew and get exactly what I need. That jacket is nice but I prefer the other style myself.

Last edited:

dibango

Reaction score

What's the problem with that? I'd rather give my business to Drew and get exactly what I need. That jacket is nice but I prefer the other style myself.

You can get the chest pockets like this, and lose the bottom zips.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

i thought you werent trying to go bigger......... :fu:

I think that what I want isn't necessarily to go bigger, but inevitably there might be an increase in our reach and breadth as I have planned. In order for TOJ to survive, there needs to be an adjustment to the economies of scale that we use; I don't plan to change anything about the content or way things are made on the basic level, and so in the hand, the product will be no different or lesser, but I am thinking of offering some pre-made stock sizes (sizing slightly readjusted perhaps, after some intense calculations) with no lead time, and then still offering a custom option. It would allow us to continue a certain price point without sacrificing quality. As an operation we run slim already, but there is room for me to take some flab in here and there, not affecting the product quality, and run faster and more efficiently.

We get lots of new customers who come out of the woodwork, many of them don't even have accounts on here or sufu, they just lurk or hear about us from a friend - and we set them up just like everybody else... and they come back for more and go into the regular fold, like really quickly. The uptake on the second piece is almost instant after getting the first piece, usually. A lot of you guys have multiple TOJ's. I think there are actually very few people who only have just one, or have just one and don't intend to get another at some point.

.... so what I have, in essence, is a virtual brick wall to speak to, nothing really tangible but a bunch of good responses here, and if you want to believe, a jacket gets thrown over, and you'll believe. Everybody who handles the stuff does believe. That is fun- exceeding expectations in this day and age is a good thing... but at the same time, I gotta stop that. It's not a particularly normal model for selling a product, and I end up with people who will down the product without even knowing the first thing - like kvnkrnd, whose experience with leather jackets is his All Saints jacket, and doesn't understand the difference between Black Scissors, a TOJ leather jacket, and then that Rick Owens denim jacket with paper-y leather sleeves. I mean it's nice to keep the riff raff out, but if the guy was maybe a few more steps advanced in the clothing game he'd understand anyway on his own and not ask dumb questions aimed at me. We're all here to talk about clothes in general, so I welcome that kind of discussion... but this is a forum with a bunch of people at mostly high levels of understanding and it's like getting that new poster who asks why a Honda Civic with 400hp isn't the same as a Porsche turbo. I guess other people can answer those kinds of questions if they want to, but I get busy at times.

Also, most of the clothes might go towards being stock sized and we'll determine if you need a custom piece or not, as custom clothes (we're talking even a 1/2" in sleeve adjustment) takes a lot of resources. I know why I want to offer MTM, and most people who need it will recognize the beauty in it, but at the same time, a lot of people can wear the stock sizing and not have to wait. When it gets popular, as it did this fall, it was like making people's orders from a salad bar rather than a menu of styles - and so that takes too long, people don't understand, they post in the thread about waits, asking each other about order dates, tracking numbers - all unrelated factors behind the scenes, unfortunately. The best solution is obviously to get rid of the wait for the people who don't understand what it takes to create a one-off sized piece of clothing... and so that will probably have to happen.

I think lastly, I'm here in Japan, and have more resources at my fingertips with clothes, and so I am gonna look at splitting some production between Korea with Dan and then doing some things in Japan as well based on material and quality strengths. The made in Korea leathers and coats are a pretty strong point and will not go away. Would like to add some pants and other things that I haven't been able to yet, and I like some of the materials in Japan, so I am working on possibly having some Made in Japan stuff too. TOJ HQ has unofficially been in Tokyo for awhile now, but it will go official here soon.

Last edited:

wogbog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

After few days of wear some of the squeak is returning. Just applied two coats of mink oil.
Did not eliminate the squeakiness like lotion did. Did soften the material a bit though.
Now, the colour is light beige. I'd say that from now on, this jackets needs wear, wear, wear and some more wear. UV light would be great too, but it's middle of the ******* Winter in N.Europe!

Post progress pics. Lots of progress pics!

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It's so hard for me to not start randomly experimenting on mine - throwing it in the wash, "just to see what happens," oiling, waxing, beating it with a stick, "just to see what happens"

I think I'm going to go rub some nivea on the cuff now.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads