Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. poly800rock

poly800rock Senior member

wouldn't Obenauf on a leather jacket just make it really sticky? I use it on shoes, because I know it will rub off, but a leather jacket seems a bit overkill and just messy.

2. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

You guys are winning at Styleforum on the hard setting. :slapfight:

Congratulations to today's gold, silver, and bronze winnars

[​IMG]

3. Shryke

Shryke Senior member

Me when I got my tracking number this morning:

4. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Can't wait to get mine first new one to see if the sizing's right... then time to order again! And of course, pass on the gateway to someone else.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011

5. impolyt_one

fit battle has 8 more days to go, so far, so good. I'll multi-quote and bring up the previous official (as in, you prefaced with 'this is for the fit battle') pics posted previously in case people want to vote on them still. As always good conversation in the thread, so pics get lost in the shuffle unfairly sometimes. It's like a big dinner table here. So yeah with the pics.... there is an advantage to posting sooner than later. :devil:

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011

6. bakatora

bakatora Senior member

can anyone comment on the thickness of the optional polyfill on the wool coats? I have an old peacoat in Large that fits snug; should i size up on the duffle if i get the polyfill?

7. impolyt_one

yes, you should - It adds thickness inside, but does not affect the outside dimensions as on the chart - so account for that in terms of interior room. a size up should do it.

8. buran

buran Senior member

Got home after some stressful work, shipping number. :slayer:

9. impolyt_one

no mercy

[​IMG]

10. dibango

dibango Senior member

If my bomber is sent before NYE, I'll do a full-fledged video feature on it. Professional lighting and everything.

11. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Senior member

I got a pm from TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES regarding my thoughts on the VTG, my body vs. my jacket measurements, asking me to rate the VTG's level of discomfort, and my thoughts on Drew's comment about it being like breaking in raw denim. I just decided I'd post my response here since it seemed like a good review in general. It is long, so if you don't care about the VTG stuff, just skip this.

I think Drew's comment about it being like raw denim is probably right, except it's like a really noisy, squeaky pair of raw denim. That has me curious about the guy who said that hitting it with body lotion would quiet it down, but I'm finding this whole "just use regular body lotion" thing a little offputting. How do I determine that a lotion is "low fat/low oil" like I'm being recommended? That means basically nothing to me. I'd love a brand/product recommendation or a recommendation of what ingredients to look for or avoid. I think I'm gonna wait it out and see what people treat it with and what that looks like before I treat mine with anything.

I'd say that the VTG is not terribly uncomfortable, but it is like armor. All its internal bits are vegetable-tanned leather too, so it is stiff outside and in, and you can feel the construction of it pretty clearly if you run your hands across the cupro lining. If I were walking around all day, I wouldn't really notice it being a trouble, and I'd rate it something like a 3/10 discomfort in that setting. But it is heavy and stiff, and it does push you around, though I haven't found any bruises on me. The jacket gets in the way when you try to sit with it zipped up--the collar rises around your neck--or any time you try to get to your belt. I wore it for about five hours at work yesterday before I got tired of trying to fight it as I reached for things or tried to do small mouse motions while sitting. Of course, then I got home and wore it for another few hours--it's a trouble you want to come back to. If you size it right like I did, I'd say it's at its worst a 5/10 discomfort "right out of the totebag." If you size it wrong, who knows what this thing'd be like, probably something like a straight jacket. As it stands, it's not like my movement is constricted in the jacket; it's just that I have to push a little harder or withstand a little more discomfort than I did when I broke in my now-year-old brown calf bomber, a jacket which in comparison, by the way, feels like a breeze to wear now. Also, this zipper has a learning curve to it.

An aside: yesterday, the collar poked my sister (the photographer) in the face pretty good when we went in for a hug.

As for fit and any changes; I first must say that Drew, who sized me in that period when he was sizing everyone, before Charly came back, was thankfully patient with me as we discussed inch or half inch adjustments back and forth. I was asked about my measurements vs. the jacket measurements, but here's the thing: while I would maybe take a little mid measurement out of this jacket, and add half an inch or an inch to sleeve lengths, I cannot determine what the jacket actually measures because the fucker will not lie flat for measurement. It is full of bends and curves that make determining the actual measurements on the jacket impossible. So I can't really tell you what it measures to compare it to my body, which is a little nonstandard anyway. Based on the fit we got from Bows1 recently, my favorite TOJ fit ever, ( http://toj-gallery.com/main.php?g2_itemId=9340 ) I'd say your best bet is to give Charly your body measurements as they come out when using the guide and let him size you. And it'll go faster than the back-and-forth that I put Drew through.

Here are some other bits and pieces I've noticed:
    1. the only part that's been beginning to tan so far is inside the collar, where my neck is rubbing against it all day.
    2. I'm a little concerned by how "thirsty" the jacket is--it sucks up rainwater, and I'm sure that's not the best thing for it. I guess I'll wear my bomber or my harrington on rainy days until I see how other people's VTG treatment methods are going.
    3. Based on some of the somewhat rough stitching on the jacket, I wonder how hard it is to construct this thing. I imagine the machine and the leather must fight the tailor--do we have a name for these folks?--all the way.
    4. In terms of styling, until this thing turns brown, it is way more rock & roll than the bomber, and as a bomber guy, it changes my style up a bit. The Drew Keith t-shirt & beaten denim uniform works here and is my go-to setup for it, but I've gotta spend some time trying to work out how else to style it. Sweaters like the Bows1 one above would do fine too, and untucked button ups in solid colors should work I guess. I guess you kind of have to think "simple, but baller" when picking out what to wear with it.

12. realmisr

realmisr Well-Known Member

Here is my entry for the contest. Seems like no one is showing love to the varsities, so I decided not to wear my leathers.

Sorry, didn't have a proper backdrop =/

[​IMG]

13. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

i know toj offered chenile(?) but did they do that one as well? thought it would be the basics like letters and their own logo

14. realmisr

realmisr Well-Known Member

^I have the only "custom" chenille varsity because I designed them myself. It was a 1-off thing, like uncontrol's jacket.

15. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

very cool. how did that go down? you sent in a sketch or something?