TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

speaking of functionality and bag design, i really find big duffle bags to be impractical. they're annoying to walk with when they're full.

2. SPK

SPK Senior member

Old pic. Won't have time before the new year to be more creative :(

[​IMG]

3. FOP

FOP Active Member

Wheeled luggage is for girls.

Technical-gear is for effeminate men.

If you don't want to break a clavicle then pack less stuff.

(I'm kidding, of course, but some of us need weekend-sized stuff for our extended families/out-of-wedlock kids, etc, and these bags can be carry-on sized. Super-big duffle bags do indeed suck)

4. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

I once had a Prada messenger bag (sipping orange frappaccino as I type this limprwristed) that was actually nothing like you'd imagine from that description - it was a khaki waxed canvas messenger with waxed brown leather trim, it looked like a very cool, cleaned up Filson. Had a nice brown nylon seatbelt material strap with leather end pieces, the two straps that went over the flap were the brown leather and had silver buckles, the best description would be 'high class Filson' - I'm trying to dig up pics of it but I had a laptop that got stolen years ago and it might've been on that HD. :(

5. impolyt_one

aahahaha, found it. I must've backed up my old computers better than I thought, on my 4th computer since.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  6. impolyt_one

It's kinda dated looking now, but it was a fun bag. Keep in mind that I bought that thing in 2002 and it wasn't even new season, I bought it from a select shop so it was old season by that point too. It's probably from the '90's?

7. A Fellow Linguist

A Fellow Linguist Senior member

I currently use a blue nylon Adidas bag as a weekender, and a beat up 8 yr old L.L Bean backpack for everyday use. You gotta help me, ToJ.

8. impolyt_one

i can. bringing food and steez to the victims (original TOJ motto)

9. FOP

FOP Active Member

nah that bag's awesome but i'm a total filson fag. Basically all bags should either look like that or a next-level version of that. (I currently carry a filson field bag everyday and get tons of compliments from fops, dandys, hipsters, hot hipster chicks, and manly-men who enjoy killing animals for sport and only wear shitty upstate ny style woodland-camo gear in the street FWIW) Fuck organization, I keeps it simple.

10. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Senior member

I realize Drew can't (and most likely doesn't want to be) everything to everyone, but I can't help but push back against the people saying all leather would be bad. Half of the ToJ lineup is wool outerwear -I'm sure lots of people that may not wear a leather jacket would want a full leather bag.

I hope there's room for both a mixed material type bag as well as all leather, at least with the duffel if it ever happens. Remember, it's luggage after all and you won't be wearing it on a daily basis with a leather jacket. I guess I'm just trying to put this out there to avoid discouragement from Drew ever making one :eek:

And the Filson bag look-a-like thing. I know it's a "classic" "heritage" piece that gets tons of compliments now, but they're pushed so hard because of this and I can't help but feel that style will look very tired in a few years when this trend is over. Even though it truly is a piece that has never been in style before - bought solely for merit alone - it's very much in style now and that won't end well..

11. impolyt_one

I actually have a bunch of bags, all kinda serve a different purpose I guess. I know what goes into them.... like I said, it's not really reinventing the wheel... and yet I want to make something reasonably original and nice. :fu:

Got a really old Julius bowling bag- it's pretty big, with long handles, can wear over shoulder like a purse. Black calfskin, a single dark ruthinium Riri zipper, really simple. Almost indestructible, it has seen some action. Given to me by winq.

Givenchy nightingale weekender - I call it the Nightinmale. Black pebbled calf, YKK zips, huge capacity. I can live out of this thing for weeks on end, I did all summer actually.

Got an Ann D bag in bone lambskin that is almost just as big.

camo Supreme duffle (lol)

TOJ backpack #1 in black suede, gold zips
    TOJ backpack in purple, production model, silver zips

old (2006? 07?) Yohji black split suede messenger bag, it's small, about A4 paper sized, from beef-san, must've gotten it from Atelier. Have since given to Mrs TOJ to carry to work. Carried the same bag in a bigger version before, winq had one when we were roommates.

12. FOP

FOP Active Member

This just proves Drew's point that bags are much more susceptible to current trends, regardless of their utilitarian purpose, than something like a jacket -- Which is timeless in STYLE but perhaps not FIT. I'm just thinking out loud here guys and I appreciate drew's(and others') opinions.

13. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Senior member

Oh yeah I was just thinking out loud as well. I mean trends come and go, there is nothing we can do about it. For example just because messenger bags were huge in the early 2000's doesn't mean you can't have one now, it just might look a little dated on most people. Its original purpose still holds true though and I'm still they will be back on trend sooner rather than later.

Mostly I'm just talking out of my ass and doing everything I can to subtly convince Drew to make an all leather weekender/duffel :embar:

14. GBear

GBear Senior member

I'll just leave these here...had a change of shoes in between pictures because I felt that too much whisky is too matchy. (Edited, too out the picture with the white sneakers...guess it violates Drews rules? Only one outfit haha)

Oh well, here's my attempt for the TOJ competition. :embar: Me, just about to leave for the airport...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. FOP

FOP Active Member

I can offer a timbuk2 bag and a Chrome bag in trade for a TOJ daypack(10) but really (0)

also I want an all leather weekender/duffle that was my entire point :p