TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

i don't think you'd want to do the acquisition if they're in a shit ton of debt unless you have some kind of angel investor who sees future hope in dayton

2. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

>=D

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011

3. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

what prompted this dayton kick drew?

it would be awesome to see you fix that company.

4. mike1445

mike1445 Senior member

TOJ x mystery brand collab in its infancy?

5. impolyt_one

>=D

Short Fast and Furious used car analogy (where I do I come up with this shit? I don't even know, but I like it) - it's like me in this fast little car, let's say it's a one of a kind RB26 powered S13 - I've been winning a bunch of street races in it, I'm untouchable. It's cool, it's DIY, I have way more power than traction sometimes, but it pleases. I don't really need to upgrade beyond the obvious, right? But I'm driving around town, and this basketcase on the used car lot catches my eye, say it's a really beat, dusty Supra - nobody is picking up on this thing, and I also happen to be the guy who can work on the car make it run like a top, it really needs to be mine. The problem right now is, it's one of those shitty used car lots where there's nobody around, it's an old gas station, and when someone does come out after several visits, it's an old cranky guy who tells you it's not for sale or something, when it very much is.

6. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

^ Where the fuck is aeglus with his supra?

Also, that sounds exactly like an attempt of mine to test drive/ purchase an absolutely mint white '06 WRX wagon with an STI engine dropped into it (you may not want, but I love me a subaru)

Me: "What can you tell me about this beautiful car?"

Mean Old Dude: "Well, you can't drive it, if that's what you mean. Some guy is coming up from Arizona to take a look at it and probably buy it, so I don't want you messing it up. I don't know how many miles it has on it, and I'm not going to unlock it for you."

Me: "Why the fuck is it on the lot?"

How do you go about taking over a small family(?) business like that? I assume there's a shitload of politicking about creative control and all that.

7. impolyt_one

>=D

8. CanuckBassist

CanuckBassist Senior member

Please take over Dayton and send me the boots I ordered 8 months ago. :slayer:

9. impolyt_one

>=D

Anyway, back to TOJ: more fit pics people! It's ben one helluva day. You just saw somebody wearing 7 pieces of TOJ their person at once.

Dan did a shipping run this week already, and will do more on Friday. We're moving along now. Was a bit of everything but it seems to be clearing up at this point and we'll be up to date by the end of this month/in a week or so. I have Dan and Charly trying to lock down this precise 27 day in/out calendar thing where the items get a slight grace period in the event of changes, and then the items go to production and get shipped after a few days, to make for a month or so. The goal, once we have the huge TOJ1 and leather crush over, is to be locked into that - so our aim in 2012 is produce the same work, same people and stuff, but just manage our calendar with more precision. Might have to pre-run varsity jackets or popular models in stock sizes before ordering starts, so that they don't affect lead times anymore.

Let's talk about bags again, shall we? There are a couple different material paths to choose from here, we can do waxed canvas, or we could do wool - both would be with leather, so the leather/wool one would be an offshoot of the TOJ formula - interesting concept. It'd also work quite well, I think. The backpack vessel would be fabric, the backpanel that touches your back would be padded again and made of leather, the bottom tub of leather, the straps fabric on the outside and leather on the inside where they touch your body and also get sewn to the vessel - aesthetically it would be classic, but it'd match what I have on deck for SS12 too, so this is kinda fueling my fire right now.....

10. FOP

FOP Active Member

Sorry to steer this conversation away from motor vehicles and service boots but I think that a daypack or weekend duffle in a light-colored suede would be pretty swell and would look absolutely amazing as it ages. Better than tan canvas or even brown leather IMO. Just putting that out there since both tan canvas and brown leather seem to be the current trend among hipsters/menswear blogs, etc.

11. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Senior member

^sounds hot. packs are popular and pretty trendy right now but I know a lot of us are jonesing for a duffle/weekender type deal. thinking of going there at all right now?

12. Dellath

Dellath Senior member

I would love to see a predominately waxed canvas (maybe wool) day pack or throw around bag, rather then a full leather bag.
    The reason being that how even much a full leather bag would look amazing, there would be a bit of a leather overload if i'm blasting around the city in leather boots, leather ToJ jacket and leather ToJ bag. I feel a waxed canvas or wool bag would be a nice counter balance to the leather jackets.

13. FOP

FOP Active Member

Didn't see this before i posted, sounds pretty rad but am I nuts to think that any 'contact points' (where the back touches your back, straps, etc) should not be leather? I'm just imagining either a swampy back or leather-on-leather 'stickiness' if you're also wearing a leather jacket (no leatherdaddy)

14. Blackmaged

Blackmaged Senior member

hate to distract from the bags but Drew do you have any swatches of the dark grey? pics in the toj gallery make medium grey pretty close to charcoal as it is

15. impolyt_one

I would, AndrewRyanWallace, and I've tried, actually. There are a couple TOJ bag prototypes in the prototype graveyard. That's not to say I won't try again, I will. An extra prototype isn't gonna put me off from perfecting the vision.

Meant to rant on this earlier but got carried away by other things;

Clothing design, shoe design, bag design. All different. The first two and the last two can be grouped by similarities, but there are these considerations. I will describe them in terms of commodity, firmness, and delight (this is kinda fluffy but bear with me, otherwise it'd be really really wordy)

1) clothing design - in our world, strong on delight; I try to build in commodity, and then firmness is nice but not really expected beyond a reasonable extent. We have a reasonable idea of what clothes are gonna look like anyway, before we design them - there are cultural standards as well as the unchanging human form. Therefore it will be cloth or something that uses gravity to shroud the body, probably wrap the arms and legs, blah blah.
    2) shoe design - all three, to an extent. They need to function by being comfortable enough for a human to wear, they need to not fall apart after a wearing (or you're in the stone age) and in modern terms you do want them to look good if you're gonna pay money for them. Likewise, we kinda know what shoes will look like - they're gonna go on feet ("know what is a great stocking stuffer? a severed leg")
    3) bag design - commodity and firmness. Delight is often a function of the two by coincidence, function as form. Similar to shoes, but even less strict about the form, really. A bag is worthless if it doesn't carry right, or doesn't allow you to carry - and so bag design is very abstract. We don't necessarily know what a bag will look like unless we know it's volume or function and carrying method. We know it'll be an enclosed vessel of some sort, but that's about it. The function dictates much of the form there.

Anyway, I liken bag design to chair design. It seems pretty abstract, and whereas with a chair you want to make sure the legs don't break - on a bag you want to make sure the straps or carrying method stays intact (which I failed at with the green Daypack run, defective suede that we have had to fix for people several times now) - considerations of firmness are priority before the others and therefore the basic wheel can't always be so easily reinvented. It's a balancing act, I feel. I guess that's why bags are hardly reinvented, they're very much the same thing across the board. Women's purse design is interesting but a lot of it is colors and tacked on decorations masking what are also the same foundations of bag design. They have to work physically before they work aesthetically.