1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Harbin

Harbin Senior member

Haha yeah but it's more understandable to people compared to like $300 denim

2. wj4

wj4 Senior member

I find it funny that I browse this forum at work while my manager is on Purse Forum so I'm just a small timer compared to her.

I remember when I had to send a jacket back to Drew, and I got insurance at the post office. The lady almost had a heart attack when I told her I wanted to insure it for $710.

We're crazy for spending this much money for stuff, man. This goes for everything, not just ToJ. The security guard at my work is a sneakerhead and asked me about my sneakers once (Lanvins). He asked if they were Pumas and how much were they. He was like "you know I can get 4 pairs of J's for one of those??"

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  3. teenagelightning

teenagelightning Senior member

who are you people that actually answer questions about your clothes

how does your skeleton not jump out of your body in shame

just lie

"oh this? haha, dunno man. can't remember"

then you give them a look so don't ask anything else

it's not hard

1 person likes this.
  4. mike1445

mike1445 Senior member

i hate the question, "how much did you pay for that?" whether it was a salvation army pick-up or a full-price, saved up for a year, waited in line jawn. i usually make up fake prices no matter what it cost.

edit: unless they get it and want to kop, then they get the hard facts.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  5. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

i like talking about clothes.

6. NotClever

NotClever Senior member

I'd say TOJ is on the most reasonable end of that spectrum, though.

As someone else mentioned, leather jackets are something people at least expect to be expensive. It seems like most people that don't own a real leather jacket expect them to be more like $300 or $400, but unless you're buying at Wilson's or Macy's it's pretty hard to actually find a leather jacket in that range, and plenty of OTR jackets are close in price. Whenever anyone expresses surprise I just say look at Schott's $600 leathers that are OTR, and it makes perfect sense to spend an extra hundred for MTM (and all of the other benefits that come with TOJ over Schott).

I'm pretty sure if I were wearing designer sneakers I'd just lie, though. I've seen people become actively hostile towards the idea of paying that kind of money for sneakers and I've seen people assume you must be an airhead that doesn't know how to manage money if you buy them.

7. teenagelightning

teenagelightning Senior member

me too, but only with people who also like clothes! i'm talking about when someone just randomly asks you especially in a group setting where no one is likely to care or want to talk about it

i'm not saying "DON'T TELL THE PLEBES", just that it keeps things less awkward to divert the conversation elsewhere

though i guess in your case you're not going to get away with just saying "oh this? can't remember where i found this specific python skin jacket"

2 people like this.
  8. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

hahaha

well, most of my friends like clothes as well, so it's not really an issue of contention for me i guess

9. bows1

bows1 Senior member

Yeah, if its someone I don't know, or know that isn't into clothes I'll just say something to end the conversation, but if its a friend I know is into clothes I'll let them know the brand, where to find it, etc.

1 person likes this.
  10. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

never ever say how much you paid for something.

be vague as hell, say it's a gift, or you simply don't remember.

11. mike1445

mike1445 Senior member

made this mistake with a friend about my Puma Dassler moto i got at 50% off, now I dread wearing it cause he mentions $300 somehow or another if i wear it. I still think it was a great price but some people don't get it [​IMG] , at least I know never to disclose prices again, esp if I get a TOJ, Mister Freedom etc.

12. NotClever

NotClever Senior member

-- Emily Post

1 person likes this.
  13. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

I only noticed this because my girlfriend noticed an outline of fabric against my back while walking around -- there's a large elastic band between the shoulders of my jacket!

It's cool -- does every jacket have this? (Although a bit sad it's visible, haha)

1 person likes this.
  14. user7

user7 Senior member

Who makes this and how much does it cost? Available anywhere?

My beloved green daypack probably won't last much longer....straps are currently ~25% connected :(

+1 to hiring synthese.

15. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

16. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Senior member

My VTG does--I just checked. My bomber's at home but yes, there is a band of some sort inside the back of it that has left an slight imprint over the course of the jacket's life.

I am supposing it keeps the gussets in shape?

17. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I honestly don't give a **** about what they think, If I like it and I'm comfortable with what I paid, it's good enough for me and what ever people think is their problem.

Most of the comments I get is about quality, so I don't really mind telling people about it, I had 30 minute conversation the other day about leather quality etc. with some random person at the dog park.

18. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

Quote:
    Spending 30 mins to educate someone on leather quality seems to imply otherwise...

...it's sorta like asking how much someone's weave is and getting all bug-eye'd because they were honest and said $2,000.

19. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Conversation ≠ educate