TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

This is terrible. The girl I dated in college worked at a patisserie...there were pastries everywhere, always.

2. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

FTFY. There is no bakery near my campus so all I can have is some shitty muffin at dining halls

3. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

It's a chocolatier/dessert shop - French cakes and stuff, macarons, $4/piece chocolates. They're pretty to look at, but yeah, there are cakes and chocolates all over my house now. I am worried we will end up 200lbs each with horrible acne within 3 months.

4. impolyt_one

need to get that new PSP and get some ripe BO and the look will be complete - "train riding commuters' worst nightmare"

5. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

The place next to us was incredible. One of the best patisseries I've ever been to, including Paris. Weird to find it in Walla Walla. but yeah, we had 10+ pound bags of croissants, cannelles, tartes, paumiers, quiches...every day. Having that for breakfast and trying to be an athlete....hard.

6. impolyt_one

patisserie, as i'm finding out, is just a lot of elbow grease. Must've been a very misplaced French guy to have a shop like that - the bread in America straight sucks. You guys should buy one of the 'Artisan bread everyday' books, it will blow your mind - all you need is flour, water, and some salt, don't even need to really knead that stuff, just stir it up and leave for a day to kind of gurgle and expand, and just roll it out of the bowl into a snake shape and bake it at high temp, with steam. Make a nice crusty aerated baguette and all you will want to eat is peasant soups and breads all day. More money to spend on jawnz if you're on the 19th century peasant diet too :devil:

7. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

this thread is the swiss army knife of SF

8. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Senior member

I've heard the key to a nice golden crust on bread is misting it with a water bottle occasionally as it bakes.

9. Gatsbee

Gatsbee Senior member

I don't think I've ever heard a better analogy for anything in my life.

10. eternaldrake

eternaldrake Senior member

You can also place a cookie sheet with water at the bottom of the oven

Elaborating on drews tip, i would suggest peter reinharts Artisan Breads Everyday, I've made quite a few things from it and they all turned out fantastic, not hard either

11. impolyt_one

yes. you can sit a pan in the oven on a lower rack and then pour a kettle of boiling water in there a few minutes before too, let the temp rise on it again so that the water starts to steam, and then put the bread in to bake. Needs to be really steamy.

12. impolyt_one

that's the book I have too, and we're of like minds about the cookie sheet of water thing. I find it's quicker to boil the water on the stove and then pour it at 212 into an oven going about 450 or 500 - that way you don't really need to spend too much time waiting for a pan of water to heat through to come to steam.

13. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011

14. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Senior member

pans with water to add steam is the best way to bake bagels too :teach:

15. vocalbrah

vocalbrah New Member

hey guys, I have been a lurker on SF for years now, I ordered a whisky dr in oct as a 22nd birthday gift to myself, it was shipped last friday, and to my surprise it arrived today! I just had to sign up and leave some comments about my new dr.
    So the first thing I have to say is the packaging was very nicely done, I love the TOJ tote, once I took out the jacket which was quite heavy compared to my other non TOJ leathers, I was BLOWN away. The DR is just an amazing amazing piece of clothing, the minute I put it on, I literally jizzed in my pants, it was euphoric. The wait was well worth it, I cannot believe something of this quality and works man ship could be had at the price that we pay. The fit was PERFECT, I was doubting a bit if it would fit me how I wanted it, but the guys over at TOJ did a tremendous job, I just gave basic measurements.
    Man, I just want to thank Drew for creating TOJ, as corny as it sounds, I don't think I would have ever owned something like this if TOJ wasnt around. The DR i think is the most single impressive article of clothing I now own, Im going to wear it everyday, im going to grow old with it and then give it to my son.(maybe)
    Now that i know these measurements work for me, I cannot wait to order more pieces.
    I know this post is worthless without pictures but I'm at work, I will post fit pics as soon as I can.
    Once again thanks drew, my body is ready for more TOJ.