Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Nah it's a horrible photo - hood is not button-off. The front comes up to about your chin or so. We use a free messenger app called Kakaotalk to do internal TOJ texting internationally, but I guess pics get degraded like that. We're getting some better photos later (he will do up that second toggle and the buttons before he takes legit pics too)

2. wzjradam

wzjradam Senior member

How did you attach the collar and where did you buy the fur? I'm super interested in doing the same to my DR. Keep me updated :D

3. malaujai

malaujai Senior member

I've got so many damn Ikea measuring tapes lol... FYI they are made of paper so if you pull them tight for measurements they'll start ripping...

$0.75 hot dogs :slayer:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011

4. dibango

dibango Senior member

Try WhatsApp.

5. impolyt_one

Kakaotalk is like, the first thing that people download on their phones over here, it's a Korean app. Everybody who has it ends up on your contact list, I even have aeglus on there somewhere, lol.

6. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

Drew, the fur you sent me -- do you think it would be possible to remove the fur but keep the liner and leather attachment pieces?

7. impolyt_one

you could... but that's like taking apart a car to get the brake pads? The snaps and the other parts are fairly easily obtainable, hell, we can send you some. No need to take apart the fur collar.

Also, you need to wear it and give it a chance. :p Clothes of natural fibers change over time, especially anything that defies gravity...

8. poly800rock

poly800rock Senior member

yeah, very awesome for international texting

9. Jared7

Jared7 Senior member

Would also be interested in a quick guide. Want to do the same to mine. How much does fur like that cost?

10. impolyt_one

On one hand, I think the customizations are cool, and I encourage people to wear their clothes how they want of course.... but on the other hand I know firsthand what it takes to make even a decent looking version of what you guys are aiming for with the fur collars - it's not easy for sure. Requires more diligence and patience than even talent, I think....

11. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

A coyote pelt, big enough for one collar on the 46 + spare for scraps/mess ups + fluffy tail for shamanic vision rituals was about $40
    Grey fox pelts go for about $60+ depending on quality and colour
    Silver fox pelts go for about $100+, much higher if you want really nice colouring
    There is also rabbit, badger, etc. I tried looking for goat, which is similar to what Uncontrol wants but couldn't find any

ebay is probably your best bet but I know a dude who tans pelts and shit for crafts/cabin decor

I will post pics but I didn't take pictures as I was making the collar. It is very intensive and took me a few hours, not really something you should try if you haven't had quite a bit of experience working with fabrics and sewing machines, working with fur is very annoying

12. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

LOL Drew I thought you opened a Kimchi store in Japan :embar:

13. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

San Diego is perfect leather weather. Really only gets cold at night and cold means "below 50F", which is not cold at all. I miss it.

14. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

Yeah, the shitty phone pic doesn't do it justice. It looks really good and I'll post a real photo up. I've been working with my mom for years in her store, so I know my way around the machines, but it still took me quite a few hours even with her assistance. Once you get the pattern up, sewing the fur takes for fucking ever because you have to fold each little step along the way...

15. impolyt_one

I can do a step by step for you guys, it won't be super precise and you'll still need a bit of construction talent, but since I don't really have any fur to work with for a decent price there's no harm in letting you guys try to DIY one if you can do it on your own.

Basically, you need, at the very least:

-fur (needs to be much bigger than the collar itself, there will be waste. You don't want to just use the natural edges as the hair grain, possibly color grain, and lots of other things will not line up very well)
    -some fabric, cupro is good for this
    -maybe a couple pieces of black lambskin, no bigger than a couple paper footballs basically
    -two male snaps that mate to the TOJ snaps
    -some black elastic, thin width
    -about 5 small buttons (about 14mm? or so)

Make a collar pattern to cover the entire top of the collar and also go in a bit, so it goes around the neckline inside the jacket.

cut a piece of cupro the exact same shape, so that you can 'line' the bottom. You need to stitch this in reverse and then flip it back out so the seam is inside.
    When you're attaching the cupro, put two leather triangles with clean stitched edges on the two farthest points; these hold the two snaps to hold it to the collar.
    When sewing up the bottom edge (closest to neck) attach 5 loops of elastic, equidistant to each other.

Inside the jacket, place 5 buttons around the inside of the neckline for the fur piece to hook onto. The collar corners will snap to the bottom of the collar snaps.