1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

2. icyice

icyice Member

should i avoid getting the lambskin wet? like light rain and shit

3. clark kent

clark kent Senior member

i advise you not to shit on your lambskin.

4. realmisr

realmisr Well-Known Member

^why not? it's a nice lubricant...

5. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

Dude you shouldn't get your lambskin wet. Nor should you expose it in sunlight for more than 3 hours a day.

6. Jacob_G

Jacob_G Senior member

Oh god now I need grey waxed diors and mmm 5 zip jacket : /

7. Nereis

Nereis Senior member

The 5-zip's quality has gotten progressively worse with each new collection. I believe Drew has had that one for close to over a decade now.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  8. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

9. mfluder

mfluder Active Member

...or feed it after midnight.

2 people like this.
  10. Nil

Nil Senior member

So that's where those people exist. I always wondered who the hell liked Galliano.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  11. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

@brad I think it's been said before at some point, and I don't really care because I think it looks good either way, but you tend to buy individual pieces you really like, which is cool, but then you have like four statement pieces in a single outfit. I think looking more like the top picture and less like the bottom would entail culling that a bit, down to one or two, and having a little more minimalism. If that makes sense, could be I'm way off.

12. binsed

binsed Member

i wouldn't mind seeing the toj winter varsity style back with the buttons, raglan sleeve and striped ribbing. minus the insulation.

13. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

This has been a really interesting read. I'm still trying to find a direction for my personal style, so it's great to better understand what's available. Will definitely need to check out the mag scans as it's too easy to just get caught up in the "SF-approved" brands and never really branch out.

14. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

post #17211 if anyone wants to start at the beginning...i am too burned out today so will bookmark and read later.

good stuff Drew

15. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

There is one bookstand somewhere in Haneda after security, i think in front of the JAL Sakura Lounge. They have a few magazines. If you can leave the bonded area there's a 7-11 near the front entrance by the elevators with more magazines. Same with Narita, except there's a couple bigger bookstores up on the 2nd floor shopping promenade with a bunch of magazines. So yeah, can pretty much buy these anywhere, convenience stores are all around. Google a map of a central Tokyo neighborhood and all the little icons that show up are just fast food joints, or by and large, convenience stores. Japan is crazy about that stuff.

16. impolyt_one

You're neo-heritage and then I think (but have never seen more than like two fits of yours) that get occasional Italian stuff, like maker's brands online, right? Basically you have a bit of everything, and then age-wise and socioeconomic status wise, you're in the stronger, more defined groups (the ones that I had to explain less to be understood - Mode, Italian, American) - and you're here on a niche website about clothes, so you'd get most play out on the right side where (nice/expensive/luxury? etc you get what I mean here) Clothes as a hobby exists. You're essentially styleforum but a boomerang shape starting in mode and Men's Non-kei, giving a bit to Italian and American-keis. That's a lot of people on styleforum, though most MC'ers don't do Mens Non-kei or 'young casual' in general very well. You see this in their casual thread. lol.

17. impolyt_one

That's why I put this up for everybody. That and the past couple years on styleforum, coinciding with the rise of sq4you and all the 'baller' threads that actually weren't tongue in cheek, it's been strange. I'd come on here, and there was some weekly Styleforum special on a certain item, like, why are these guys talking about f'ing MMM gats in 2011? MMM sidezips? MMM 5-zips? SNS Herning beasting? Julius? Rick Owens Intarsias? Stephan Schneider? These things were all at least several years old when they were popular, and not necessarily new, the first time around. Worst case scenario, they were completely dead aesthetics, like Julius and Rick. It got pretty bad last year, you guys have to admit, it'd be talked to death and then everybody would show up with one and get the late pass. I think for those who just don't know where to begin, fashion magazines like the ones in Japan are a good starting point. THey're edited down so that you're looking at the new stuff, it might be trendy and there's groupthink in that too, but there but it's regarding contemporary looks rather than sending everybody out scrounging on yahoo auctions. See what I mean?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  18. impolyt_one

Anybody in OC/maybe LA need a measuring? I will be able to do that in the afternoon next weekend.

19. chiggah

chiggah Senior member

maybe you should come to new zealand sometime soon drew :D

20. nineohtoo

nineohtoo Senior member

^I know i might be a bit drunk right now, but isn't that generally how it is? I mean i remember when the term hypebeast was coined. That shit was in a niketalk WAYWT circa like 04/05 with hood dudes making make ms paint images/parodies of dudes, and the dudes getting shit on was some Vietnamese dude(Phanizzle fyi amongst others), buying into japanese trends from several years back at the time, which was probably dated to the eastern world but pretty new/different to the western world because of it's perception of fashion and trends. Most of the screen printed brands and stuff that blew up recently to become hypebeast staples were guys who were just trying to proxy shit unavailable on ebay/bbs at the time right? Were always gonna be behind over here.

I guess I'm just saying stuff that picks up in the land of the rising sun eventually will move west and seem new to us when it's really late. Yeah they definitely are related to groupthink along with other things, but those guys definitely charted that territory before us westerners. I don't know why I'm arguing this shit, but I feel like through out my life, shit that I was introduced through the eastern world found it's way and was commercialized here with little to knowledge of its beginnings. But yeah, I'm not arguing with Drew. I think I agree with the most part. I'm just at the point where I don't go to Japan Town to buy toys or race cars anymore. Just bring those ethnic ambiguous girls to grab some food and desert while looking at magazines and manga. I'm sure I'm rambling so I'm gonna go sleep lol. /end drunk rant.