1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Well-Known Member

nah, the graph is deeper and I have doubts many know all of the magazines listed and therefore it'd be hard to really map it out better than I have it down now. You can make your own from scratch if you want it to be simpler, but the one I put above is both inclusive and really quite simple if you take it an entity at a time, and it's very textbook and well thought-out, actually. There's a nice logical relationship in the placement of everything. That's why I stole this from the fashion school. :eek:

2. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

I don't think it's fair to classify me as onii-kei or gal-o, at least not anymore. I identify more with the taupe and grey sections. Maybe my hair is the only thing left haha. But really cool and interesting diagrams.

3. dibango

dibango Well-Known Member

Guys, less drama and jp infographics. More fit pics and new shit.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
    2 people like this.
  4. impolyt_one

I knew you would say this, and anybody else is going to have a kneejerk reaction as part of the Western individualist mentality - and that's why I plotted your purple shape on the matrix delving slightly into Mens Non-kei and a touch of Mode, but you are still very squarely within what is the Onii-kei category as a foundation. You have the hair, you wear makeup, and the general silhouettes, textures, some of the brands (and brands are important here, but not THAT important - things can be substituted to achieve the final look, which is the takeaway here) - your effect is almost 100% Onii-kei/Gal-o. I don't know what to tell you, your look is rooted upon principles that are very much from the Onii-kei box there. You could go without the hair or makeup, but you'd still be in that box. Also, as I have graphed, pretty much everyone else starts with a foundation with something outside of that.

1 person likes this.
  5. impolyt_one

You don't realize how locked down that graph is. It basically sums up everyone who has ever posted to a men's fashion messageboard and actually tried to be stylish. It's your world, in 640 x 480.

6. notwithit

notwithit Well-Known Member

I just wanna end up somewhere in the sex-worker part of the graph.

1 person likes this.
  7. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

Was on my phone and didn't realize the lines in totality -- I would say that the purple line for me is probably correct, as long as we leave men's egg out of it :eek:

8. impolyt_one

also, the taupe Mode area is focused on the highest end fashions, you are not really Mode. You are kind of within the grey Mens Non-kei in terms of the pricepoints and brands you associate with, I know you like Kiryuyrik, et al - those are Mens Non-kei basically, fashion produced in collections, but not walked, at least outside of Tokyo. Mode is Raf Simons, Rick Owens, Dior Homme, YSL - the highest end menswear, which gets walked in Europe.

To give you another idea - RegisDB9, NAMOR, other styleforum posters - these guys are actually buying brands within the grey Mode area, but they are not mode either. They have no real awareness of the runway show concept, of a brand's purpose or aesthetic, and they end up buying basics and carryover generics. If they had more 'pieces' and put together their outfits based on philosophies other than 'what color do I match with my shoes?' then they might be more mode.

tween_spirit is on a line that starts somewhere at Cool Trans and ends up in Mens Non-kei

Ivwri is basically a dot that doesn't travel far from Vogue Hommes Japan, or WMD

zissou is the polar opposite and a dot somewherevery close to Free and Easy

Phat Guido (and as is referenced by his name) - purely Ita-oya-kei

most of the people posting in this thread - they float between Mens Non-kei, dabble in mode, usually don't do much in Street-kei unless they're only around for the varsity jacket

and so on, and so on

2 people like this.
  9. impolyt_one

you are the polar opposite of this.

10. dibango

dibango Well-Known Member

Your world can be categorized in terms of jp magazines?

11. ceoceo

ceoceo Well-Known Member

Where would BerlinReport fit into, although he hasn't posted fit in SF for almost a year now?

12. impolyt_one

yes, and your style too. Everybody on styleforum, superfuture, stylezeitgeist - they can be plotted within this map, pretty much to a tee, there's a place for everybody. Sadly, no 'Abacro-kei' (Abercrombie and Fitch)

13. impolyt_one

Berlin Report is at the bottom area of 'Ita-oya-kei' - Uomo, LEON, Oceans, Men's Club. Might give him the benefit of the doubt and give him a tiny wedge of Mode, but from what I remember of him, that really wasn't his game. He was very much a block within the bottom of the grey box.

14. notwithit

notwithit Well-Known Member

:confused:

I should've figured as much.

Something to shoot for, I guess.

15. nineohtoo

nineohtoo Well-Known Member

I was gonna say that should be in RFT, but I see it's there too with no response yet It seems pretty spot on, and I'm interested to see other people's thoughts. I think I see where my broke ass who doesn't really have a clue about fashion fits on that graph lol.

16. modalsaliency

modalsaliency Well-Known Member

The best part of that graph is the place where you want to put CCP, and the place where you want to want to put CCP.

17. impolyt_one

lol, dude. you say it first, because I don't want to.

18. impolyt_one

you, and I'd say the vast majority on styleforum SWD (like 95-99% of those enrolled, I'd say), whether they prescribe to aspirations of mode or whether they're in the Stanley Van Buren/Epaulet/WvsG thing - they're mostly in a little boomerang shape that touches the grey box slightly, maybe giving a sliver of a point to Mode, and then the elbow of the boomerang sitting slightly in the mauve Itaoya-kei box (trad) and then extending towards the Ameoya-kei box, but avoiding fully Gainer and Onii-kei.

19. impolyt_one

Another example for you - whether you understand what the magazines are about, or even understand anything about the graphs, the takeaway is that everybody has an area of the graph for their own, and that movement happens, movement is significant, etc. So take for example, Stanley Van Buren - I've always joked around about how I want to swag him out - that's half joking, half serious - right now I think we can mostly agree that SVB dresses like a dork. That's represented here by the pink shape. What I'd like to do, is to swag him out, give him some sort of knowledge and maybe a styling sense/brand awareness that puts him closer to the yellow shape.
    If he were to make the transition to the yellow shape, his style would be much more palatable.

[​IMG]

20. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Well-Known Member

Can you translate the Japanese in the graph to English? I read your post and all, but referencing back and forth is making my head hurt.