• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Rolfi

Reaction score
that is ridiculous, what if you need to drive a MT in an emergency situation and you don't know how? (why would you not know how to drive a manual in the first place, it's so much fun)

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
there aren't that many MT cars over here man, really none at all anymore. I'm sure there were a lot back in the old days, but from the little 660cc kei-cars up to the supercars nowadays, they're all automatics. Manuals are niche or hobby status at this point, and it's only a very few cars that you can even buy with a manual over here - just the cars that only ever came with manuals, like old sports specials basically. Tons of 911's in Tokyo, they're all automatics unless they're GT2/3's - regular Turbos would be Tiptronic here. Ferraris are all F1, Lambos are all automatic, BMW M cars are all DCT, the GT-R is an all-automatic affair now, can't even think of anything that would be new and surely a manual.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I love a good manual car, but it'd be pretty impossible to drive one here. Just too cramped, no real place to drive anyway - Tokyo traffic can be horrific, needless to say, and parking is comedy. You'd think cars can just hover around laterally, the way you see cars parked. In a city like this, cars are A to B and more about style and less about 0-60 and their quarter mile, haha. In that sense, a basic 911 C2 with a tiptronic or a BMW M3 with an SMG is actually a great Tokyo car - they are nice and compact for parking, fit two comfortably and can carry small cargo (they have delivery on anything one buys here) and you can squirt around town in them on rare occasions.

laughter95

Reaction score
My friend's Acura TL is 11 years old and has 120K miles on it. It's starting to croak. The mechanic explained that the repair costs for it warrants the purchase of a new car.

He wants a car that can go from point A to point B reliably, looks decently presentable, and is as cheap as possible. He's considering to purchase a four-door 2006 Honda Civic with 9,100 miles, which is listed at $13K.

Any insight/suggestions are appreciated.

lesamourai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mine's band collar rather than minimalist, but I almost always wear boots, either pull-on chelseas, side-zips, or back-zips. Sometimes burgundy CP training boots. Looks fine with both black and brown shoes, since there are some green and brown undertones in the medium grey.
Also, a friend of mine swears IKEA's chocolate cake is among the best she's ever had.

Thanks man, pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

My friend's Acura TL is 11 years old and has 120K miles on it. It's starting to croak. The mechanic explained that the repair costs for it warrants the purchase of a new car.
He wants a car that can go from point A to point B reliably, looks decently presentable, and is as cheap as possible. He's considering to purchase a four-door 2006 Honda Civic with 9,100 miles, which is listed at $13K.
Any insight/suggestions are appreciated.

used car prices are :fu: these days. Seems like he is barking up the right tree, but I think Corollas are like the Miller Light to the Civic's Bud LIght and cost a little less, right? At least they used to be. A 2006 Civic with 9,100 miles though- that's old church lady status; my grandma has a 2005 or 2006 Civic with like, 10,000 miles on it too, she only ever drives to church. :lol:

Jacob_G

Reaction score
beeing 6.1' and about 155-160 lbs can I wear standard sizes in the mdr & varsity?

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Not standard sizes bone stock, but you can wear standard sizes customized with added length for sure. Being skinny is not a problem.

NotClever

Reaction score
that is ridiculous, what if you need to drive a MT in an emergency situation and you don't know how? (why would you not know how to drive a manual in the first place, it's so much fun)

To be fair, I think a lot of Americans don't know how to drive manual either. My cousin taught me how on her car when I turned 16, but I haven't driven one since and nobody I know owns a manual at the moment. I suppose technically my dad has a manual MG, but it hasn't run in a good 15 years.

On the duster front, definitely need to make one of these:

hhenryhhh

Reaction score
Aloha Rag's got a BoO suede trucker jacket, original price was over $1500

Was the TOJ trucker jacket a one-off? Seems pretty rare.

Last edited:

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yeah, somebody ordered one, but not in the original form. I probably wouldn't do that now, but that was a long time ago, and I really just wanted to make the T-1 jacket. It was a great one, nobody ordered though. I'm sure if I put it out again, it'd go off, but that's just another piece that can go in the reissue bin I guess.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Design-wise, that RX-7 was always such a beautiful basic car design - it'd be great even today.... but there's just little things about it that make it scream '1990's Japan' - the cheesy pillar handle for the doors, the blacked out taillights, the pop-up headlights... the car was kinda meant to have a wing but both versions of the wing that came standard are cheese, and wings in general are ugh.

It'd have been great if they would've made another RX-7, rather than the 8. Epic fail.

artishard116

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Design-wise, that RX-7 was always such a beautiful basic car design - it'd be great even today.... but there's just little things about it that make it scream '1990's Japan' - the cheesy pillar handle for the doors, the blacked out taillights, the pop-up headlights... the car was kinda meant to have a wing but both versions of the wing that came standard are cheese, and wings in general are ugh.
It'd have been great if they would've made another RX-7, rather than the 8. Epic fail.

not seeing the problem :D

love me some pop-ups.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads