TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

trust drew's advice on measurements, it's in his best interest that your jacket looks good on you.

2. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

3. chaos

chaos Senior member

4. buran

buran Senior member

measuring tape is free from IKEA. If you are close by to one.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011

5. systematic

systematic Senior member

You're right. I did and I'm sure you did as well.

But, getting to that point and being 100% confident in the measurements wasn't that easy. I went back and forth a bit second guessing and I think you did too -at least that's what I got from reading all of your sizing posts in this thread.

I think this would be somewhat helpful, and the benefits worth the expenditure of getting someone with a great fit to submit their numbers and have them posted publicly.

And I'm not sure if it would complicate things, either. It's standard practice for a lot of places. They give you model measurements and the measurements of the piece you're trying to buy, followed by photos. And yeah, I know those aren't mtm items, but that practice is still helpful nonetheless.

You're right, it's simple enough to where the fit error rate shouldn't be as high as it is. It is most likely due to user laziness, but not all is. Some is probably due to people not knowing what good numbers look like. It's worth trying to address that, especially when it doesn't take much effort.

It's not really about making measuring easier. What I suggested would still require people to go through both measurement methods and get the advice of Charly/you. It would just give them an idea of what a great fitting jacket looks like and what the measurements are for that person and that jacket and give them some sort of comparison for their order.

You're right, that's why you guys look over the numbers. I'm not suggesting people deviate from the pattern, to the contrary, they'd be comparing their numbers to a great fitting one.

A standard example, given people actually look at it, may help weed out some of the messed up numbers you get submitted, and hopefully decrease the fit error rate. No, it won't completely eliminate them, but I think it would help a bit.

Ftr, I really am just trying to be helpful and I hope this isn't getting on your nerves. Having said that, I rest my case. :)

6. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Dude it was super cold and windy around SoCal. Cities have called for state of emergency. Schools are closed, a lot of cars are damaged from fallen trees. I was still cold when I took the pictures haha.

I get cold easily as well. I think my internal temp is jacked up from going down to 140 lbs from 220 lbs a few years back.

I always wanted to try a medium weight sweater under the DR since it actually has room for layering. First choice was the peacoat though.

7. BlackToothedGrin

BlackToothedGrin Senior member

Put a light grey sweater under it ala visvim. One of the best looks i've seen. Uniqlo has something similar actually
    [​IMG]

8. GBear

GBear Senior member

:D I swear man, California spoils you. I ditched last year's winter in Canada (supposedly a pretty bad one on the East Coast) and worked here on co-op. Right before I moved back to SoCal and Canada was on the brink of winter, I realized how much of a pansy I became, wearing two layers and a scarf under my MDR for any temperature under 15C.

Congratulations on the weight loss though. I honestly hold anyone with that kind of determination to lose weight in high regard.

I'm all for wardrobe experimentation but I think a light weight sweater would work much better. I think I'm going to try a white T, light blue v neck sweater, and my brown MDR sometime soon...if it gets any colder. :foo:

9. ctbomber

ctbomber Well-Known Member

I don't post much but have been reading this site for the past year or so and just ordered the A2 Bomber the other day. Looking forward to it.

I can sympathize with the sizing thing but it was more because I'm a perfectionist in my head and kept going back and forth on the length in front. I took every measurement possible that they recommended and sent fit pics of a jacket. Ended up going a half inch less than what Charly recommended on the length after trying on another leather jacket I had and measuring that one last second. Hopefully it works out well but it probably wont make that much of a difference either way . Otherwise all of their other measurements looked good and the ones that I wondered about they explained as far as tapering of the arms etc...

It's really not that complicated and takes maybe an hour at most with the help of someone to do every measurement possible and get fit pics over to them. If you are dropping $700 + on a MTM jacket that doesn't seem like too much to ask of yourself. If this one works well out I will probably order another for the summer a few months down the road and at that point I'm sure I'll be very confident with the measurements.

It's funny that Charly is basically instantly answering e-mails all day. The first one I sent to him I thought the message didn't go through because of how fast it was returned.

10. grizzlybear

grizzlybear Senior member

what is that leather

11. TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES Senior member

damn nigga this is game changing

12. Timmbo

Timmbo Senior member

tbh i think it's the trousers and shoes that are letting that whole look down. trousers are too straight and long. would look awesome with more tapered + hemmed trews and some creepers.

13. lesamourai

lesamourai Senior member

I think it was like 34 degrees this morning. Thermal + button down shirt + ToJ1 = toasty. 50 degrees tonight and t shirt and ToJ1 was warm as well. :slayer:

After seeing that burgundy ToJ1 I want one, but I must resist..

Finally, what do people usually wear footwear wise with their grey MDRs?

14. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Trousers are slim enough, I don't need them to be painted on. I can't even put my iPhone in a pocket without having it bulging up. The length is just of proper length with break so it gives off the appeal (it barely overlaps my ankle bone when not wearing shoes). I have other pants with no break that would probably appeal to SW&D more. But today was really cold and the trousers are of heavy weight wool which kept me warm. The shoes, well what can I say, I fell in love with Alden last summer and went on a spree for the last year, haha.

Creepers are cool. I just can't justify dropping that much money on something so limited in term of versatility. I find Tricker's to be a nice compromise.

I think the DR can be worked with a dress shirt very nicely. I plan on wearing my horsehide with a knit tie sooner or later.

Lighter knits are definitely on my "To Buy" spreadsheet. However, they're not that high of a priority. Specifically I want a light grey turtleneck and cardigan. I saw a very nice one from Lanvin, but didn't want to spend $800 on it. I will wait until Barney's has their first round of clearance, I think I can pick it up then.

To the guy suggesting Uniqlo...I don't frequent places like H&M, Zara, Uniqlo, etc. because of the poor quality.

PS Drew, the outfit got compliments from the dudes at Barney's and the measuring gentleman at Brooks Bros. The Brooks Bros personnel asked where I got the jacket from since it seems to be different yet well fitting..I just told him I got it from a friend who is studying fashion in Tokyo and ROK to keep it short. :satisfied: I didn't expect a guy in his 50s to comprehend the concept that is ToJ, haha.

15. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

TBH this is my ultimate goal. Newspaper boy hat+ Black DR/Moto + BD shirt + trouser/loose jeans and a pair of beat up Indy.

Not sure if the " trouser/loose jeans and a pair of beat up Indy" part would fit the upper half