Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

yes they are. And gdl, you are nowhere near the oldest person with a TOJ. If I recall you are closer to my age than Charly is, actually.

2. impolyt_one

Actually, good question, I was waiting for someone to ask me this - and the answer is, virtually no change or difference at this point, which I'm thankful for (on Thanksgiving no less) - but it had been set up for awhile that Dan deals with the suppliers and manufacturers and gets all the production squared away, Charly does emails, I did emails for a little bit, but overall - we just communicate via text message and have always done so. It is 3 different jobs for 3 different people, and needs to be done independently anyway.
    In fact, we all live in different countries and stuff now, but the work duties are still the same as they were a year ago when we were all living pretty close to each other in Seoul. We didn't meet up everyday and mostly worked independently from our respective homes, communicated via text message, and then the only real reason to ever meet up was to do physical labor like carrying all the jackets and packing them for shipping, and doing sampling. Same as ever really, my hearing situation is not gonna cripple TOJ overnight or anything. If I didn't tell anyone on here I was deaf then nobody would have even known unless they meet me in person. Clothesmaking is mostly a lonely self-guided activity, with lots of independent work.
    In the real scheme of things, no other clothes brand has this much dialogue either - most clothing brands put out clothes with nary a peep from the human side of the operation. It's just like 'here are clothes, at these stores, buy them. They are a woodsy theme this year.' :lol:

In real life, it sucks obviously - being deaf is boring, that is my current take on it. I was obviously used to hearing and having a normal life before, and now the only thing I hear is the voice in my head, all day. Very quiet if I ever have times where I just stop talking to myself and flatline, which I have to do several times a day - my own sense of humor entertains me, but I would not call myself an all-day experience.
    I completely forget they're playing muzak at a restaurant or something and people can't hear my voice unless I speak up - to me it's like there's no muzak or elevator music anywhere. At home it's just like living in a quiet neighborhood with the TV on mute and nobody else home, it's hard to gauge the difference. I don't really know if my neighborhood is quiet or not, actually.
    I am really in touch with my inner dialogue now that I don't need to listen to anyone else, not that I could anyway. If you take away all the exterior noise and crap you normally have to filter out, it makes problem solving a lot easier I guess, so that might be a plus.

Now that I've moved to Japan and my Japanese sucks, I am just taking it easy and not jumping into much stuff. I am getting older too, so I'm not missing out on much. I've had the past 10 years of doing stupid tourist stuff in Japan, so I am enjoying the real life side of things here now - those are completely different things. Mrs. TOJ is gonna start a proxy service here really soon, and so I will probably spend my free time on that, getting out and doing some shopping, checking out clothes other than TOJ and re-arranging my perspective on things. It will be good. I want to proxy clothes, food-related items like kitchenwares and stuff, and rare car parts - I am obsessed with all three of those things and know what's good in Japan.

3. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

Did you learn sign language? Or rather, do people sign to you?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011

4. eternaldrake

eternaldrake Senior member

id seriously get some kitchenware proxied, let us know when this gets going

5. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

You're my Beethoven of leather jackets.

6. impolyt_one

and p.s. to that - I forgot to say that a few years back when this started happening and shit was hectic, I realized that a) from my perspective, I could feel sorry for myself, b) from other people's perspectives, one would think that people would feel sorry for you.. but actually c) in real life, everybody has their own problems and therefore don't actually care about you

So in the real scheme of things, it's just one of those things where you have to say 'whateva' and get on with it. Being at a disadvantage is one thing, but being shitty at something is something different and is your own fault. lol

7. Kross

Kross Senior member

I'm sure with a little bit more effort we could really turn this shit into a religion.

8. impolyt_one

I just lost my hearing in June man, and obviously didn't really expect to.... so I haven't learned much of anything yet, been kind of busy. I am probably going to hedge on technologies rather than to bother learning sign language. Getting normal people to make voice memos on my iPhone 4S in order to speak to me is going to be a lot better and easier for now, rather than trying to figure out yet another language (I have been studying languages for so long now, I am shitty at 3 or 4 languages, and get along... but I'm tired of studying languages now) that I can only use with a few other people. I figure that someday the technology will be even better and so it's not all that bleak.

9. impolyt_one

We're ready now, but I haven't gotten Huddler to email me back about starting the proxy thread. I am excited to be able to proxy some unique stuff from Japan to fill in where the brick and mortar stores don't sell - for example Korin has a bunch of expensive Japanese knives and stuff, but if you're gonna spend $500 on some Japanese knife, why buy a stock model? You can get the same brand, same blade with a customized edge and stuff, get it engraved the way you want, and then choose all kinds of custom handles (bone, horn, antler, rope-wrapped, etc) for the same price or not much more if you get it from Japan. Korin has alright prices on the stock knives, but their custom stuff goes way up in price, and then all of their non-knife kitchenwares are way overpriced, I am thinking by triple or so.

If I was on the opposite side of the table here and was a customer buying stuff in America from my proxy, I'd want to get a really nice suribachi (Japanese mortar and pestle) since you can get those in America but they're always crappy and it's one of those things here where there are tons of artisanal ones that look awesome. I'd want some custom handled knives, some really nice chopsticks, etc. There is a Japanese kitchen tool or utensil for everything. I am not kidding about that, there is something for everything.

Tons of stuff. I am not sure if I will make a 'webstore' for the proxy but I will have Mrs TOJ on the lookout for recommended items I guess, and keep them updated in real time. There's a bunch of interesting things floating around here, not just clothes.

10. Grug

Grug Senior member

Have you considered getting a cochlear? I can't get it for my left ear due to still having proper hearing in my right ear, but with both gone there shouldn't be much of a limitation - and because you've had hearing in the past and haven't suffered any language impediments in your learning, it should be much easier for you to adapt to than the kids who have to get them very young.

11. impolyt_one

Yeah I have, but I'm not really into the idea right now, a few reasons I guess.

The plus side would be that I can get them for free now, in Japan. They would've cost me $40-120K in America.

The downside would be that a) not sure if I want to live with the potential migraines everyday, b) it's lots of downtime in the hospital and a shaved head, and I don't really have the time for that right now, not to mention all the regular doctor's appointments that would follow for maintaining it all c) it would probably improve my being but not my actual health, and so it's not urgent, d) I don't want to wear equipment - I'd be much more willing to do it if were self-contained and not electronics I have to tack to my head, but I think that those were experimental in Australia - here they're not likely to have that. and then I guess e) is that I think the sound you end up with is a bunch of robotic voices, right? I think I'd be displeased with that and it'd bother me forever, since I am really picky about everything - if stuff is out place for me in life it bothers me to the point where I can't sleep. Right now it just seems like I'd rather not have any real sounds, rather than a bunch of robot voices that might annoy me.

If the technologies evolve and can change some of those things, I think I'll probably do it later. Just seems a bit lacking to me right now.

12. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

That sounded very wrong and disturbing. You mean cochlear transplant right? The machine, not the implanting of body part? lol

As soon as Yen stops fucking around, massive koppage restarts from ToJ proxy service :slayer:

13. pronxs

pronxs Senior member

14. impolyt_one

If that ever happens, everybody is fucked. Doesn't really matter where you are, we will all bake in nuclear heat.

15. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member