Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES Senior member

you can get leather jackets in Pakistan for 30-40 USD MTM.

2. omgcookielol

omgcookielol Senior member

The first jacket is roughly $1200 at today's exchange rate.

From what I remember, what it costs Drew to buy materials depends on what's available locally (and it still has to meet his quality standards).
    Notice that the shearling jacket that you posted has an outer layer of fqhh, with insides that are only partially lined with shearling, and the rest of it is lined with cotton/corduroy. I assume that fqhh, cotton, and their magical corduroy is cheaper than the shearling drew would put on his jackets, not to mention he'd probably want the jacket to be only composed of shearling, so it's not even a good comparison.

Not going to bother checking the second link though.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011

3. GSafternoon

GSafternoon Well-Known Member

isn't that aero jacket only shearling on the collar? Pretty sure drew and everyone else here is talking about a full-blown shearling jacket.

4. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Woodyear, you fail, either at reading, or understanding the world at large (remember last week's debacle and you not understanding how a flat vinyl-packed package would get flattened in transit as it travels across the world?)

That Aero you linked to is not a shearling, you must have been excited about clicking on pics, and not read the description.
    It's a horsehide jacket with a shearling shawl collar, and then black corduroy lining. Beyond the collar, there is no other shearling, look at that thing. That means it's a regular leather jacket, with a decorative shearling collar area, which by description is not far from what I do with an A-2 Bomber.

The cost model for producing such a jacket is completely different from what I have been talking about, because 1) the shearling they use does not need to be presentable on the hide side. We're talking about different kinds of leather here, and I don't expect you to understand that. 2) It's not a lamb shearling jacket, it's a horse jacket with a strip of lamb shearling about 10-12" x 2.5' - for the stuff that is unfinished or rough-finished on one side, (it's the Uggs-type stuff) that is worth about $10 or less.

For reference, the stuff I am talking about using on a TOJ costs $15 a square foot.

Aero is in the business of making tons of horsehide jackets in the limited color palette that horsehide is made in, they have stock of that material that they get at a reduced price due to economies of scale. I won't be following Aero's model.

I don't have horsehide but I can easily make a jacket with material content that equals that Aero in quality for 750 GBP (and I guess you don't check the forex, because 750 GBP is no longer 'roughly $1000'

Apples and your misunderstood oranges, my troll friend.

This IS a real shearling, hair-in, hide-out, and as you will see - no hand pockets, as I touched on before. Also, contrast leather trim covering all the reversed exterior seams. The basis is there, but as it's missing the parts that TOJ puts into a jacket (that also increase the price) - a) individual one by one tailoring directed by myself, Charly, and Dan, to get a specific fit, b) the highest quality materials we can get our hands on that I think make a practical but luxurious choice for a leather jacket, and c) TOJ's are not made by unfortunate third world children, they're made by older people who rent their own workshops and have legitimate businesses for making clothing, not just TOJ clothing (by founding principle, though what they do now is only make TOJ clothing due to order loads) - this doesn't even compare.

That Pakistani shearling fails at all three areas - fit, leather quality, and it's made for $350 by unfortunate and underpaid people who also probably had to kill and tan the sheep (eat it as well?). That is not style, this is the kind of garbage that fills the homes of most undiscerning people.

There are tons of ugly ass black 'genuine leather' A2 bomber jackets out there and they end up getting slashed down to like $150, but can you compare them to a TOJ or wonder why TOJ can't also make $150 jackets?

[​IMG]

5. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Senior member

Vaalbara has found Shambhala [​IMG]

6. aaaeeeiiiooouuu

aaaeeeiiiooouuu Senior member

98% of the leather jackets i see on a daily basis = this shit right here

7. Gaillimh Abu

Gaillimh Abu Senior member

The Quad NUIG?

8. malaujai

malaujai Senior member

Misaligned pockets are hot.

Material looks like a garbage bag LOL

9. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

please stop quoting that pic (if you can, go back and delete it :laugh:)
    its making me sick (3)

10. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Senior member

I really like the way the collar lies.

11. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

also when i zip it up, extend my arms and rotate around like a helicopter it looks weird, what's the deal??

12. PipersSon

PipersSon Senior member

I wish more people would troll Drew and/ or piss him off, because his subsequent responses are, as my Jamaican friends would put it, 'heducational'.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011

13. l1mab3an

l1mab3an Senior member

Thats my go to at the club... It is going to be a serious issue!

14. vaalbara

vaalbara Senior member

did woodyear ever get his toj?

15. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

everybody gets their TOJ once it's ready. Woodyear is just trolling me on the forums because well, Woodyear likes to troll.