TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I've heard great things about the 4S camera but unless it provided significantly longer battery life than the 4, I'd really rather wait for the 5. How useful has Siri been for you?

2. buran

buran Senior member

How old are the toj1 orders that are shipping this friday?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  3. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

the camera on the 4S is really good, I was taken aback the first time I turned it on and it finally focused (it takes a moment) - going from the 3GS it was like needing glasses and finally getting them. A real point n shoot does better in the dark, like an unlit restaurant or something, but in 75-85% of the conditions where you'd take a pic, I think the 4S is great. The camera and the voice recognition and processing are truly another level, considering you only need to stuff this elegant block of glass in your pocket and it can do all of that and more.

4. Islander

Islander Senior member

They don't ship FIFO. Probably all different 'ages'.

5. buran

buran Senior member

Thanks, must be difficult to wait for full leathers.

6. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

i was on a wait list here too when we ordered them two weeks ago; they told me a month and then called after a week and said the phones were in, and sure enough, 3 weeks early.

I think the 4S does have better battery life, but I use my phone a lot less now, and it's also a brand new battery that I've deep-cycled a couple times, so it's working okay it seems. Hard to tell after using that 3GS that I really worked hard on, it was only a year old, but it needed a recharge if I did work on it for a few hours.

Siri/new voice recognition software is amazing. The Siri assistant portion doesn't do much for me right now because I'm in Japan and they haven't R+D'ed anything here or at least haven't released a Japanese voice pack or anything having to do with Japanese GPS, but I'm deaf dudes, so Siri is a watershed moment for me. It has truly broken through some sort of technological barrier and allows me to put a dictation device on me in a portable format, and I'd be carrying it anyway. I wish Apple would exploit this even more, but for now, its as good as it could get, realistically.
    The voice dictation is fast and pretty accurate. There were apps before, but they didn't work accurately enough, or process quickly enough. The new built-in system is really good, I am happy with it. You need to speak proper English in a voice that is not too nasal, but it dictates quickly. It will probably save my life one day, I feel.
    In practical terms for anybody though, it works well. I dictated a whole email to my 4S last week and it put it down pretty flawlessly. I only had to go back and correct a few punctuation marks. Using it makes you feel like we've reached a new frontier.

7. vaalbara

vaalbara Senior member

you have no idea

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

will try to snap fit pics later! the leather really isn't as orange in hue as my camera is making it out to be

8. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

You make Siri sound good, I might have to test it out.

As for the battery, just from the numbers they released, just not much difference there. I haven't even upgraded to ios5 (although I'm tempted because I want the icloud so bad) because I heard it drains the battery faster than the old os. I'm still hoping the 5 doubles it's battery life because I can't go a whole day w/o charging my phone.

9. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

God I hope that is a dorm room.

10. skyline

skyline Senior member

battery life is the only issue I have so far with my 4s. still a great phone, especially since I jumped up from 3G, tho I think I'd wait for next year's upgrade if I already had a 4.

11. vaalbara

vaalbara Senior member

yep! sorry about the messy desk, i had a final on friday, a presentation on monday and i was otherwise occupied over the weekend

12. obiter dictum

obiter dictum Senior member

Dude who cares about your desk, you've got spoons on the floor!

Battery life is about the same in use AFAIK. It was bugged to shit at release though, would run out of charge from just sitting on standby for a day, but the 5.0.1 update seems to have fixed that for me at least.

13. PipersSon

PipersSon Senior member

Whisky all gone eh? Pity.

14. emalkin23

emalkin23 Well-Known Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

This is so, so good. Can't wait to see some fit pics.

15. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

I think I looked pretty awesome today :eek: (okay maybe not the beanie part)
    Thanks again Drew for finding that perfect measurement for tshirt+sweater layering
    [​IMG]
    One reason I never ask my friend to take my picture.

by the way good to see you again RFX

EDIT: alright alright here is a less shittier pics. I kinda want an iphone now

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]