1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Drew,

Who do you think is the oldest dude rocking ToJ stuff? I can't help but feel that I'm one of those in the grandpa side of the spectrum.

Bball jacket has been sold. Now seriously trying to resist a varsity. :embar::foo:

2. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

3. lowk

lowk Senior member

on my tracking it says delivery was unsuccessful due to an insufficient address and its being sent back to the sender, is it possible that it might have to do with me living at a school dorm?

4. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

You aren't even close to my age afaik, you aren't even in the middle of the age spectrum. I am gonna make my dad a jacket at some point so the age spectrum will go even higher up. There's a number of guys in their 40's who wear plenty of TOJ, and do so well. Remember that guy a few pages back who was wearing a Bomber and a beanie and was like, 47?

lol, what the hell? gdl is always on about being older than everybody but I think if I recall, he is only like 4 or 5 years older than me.

5. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

man your parents are young.
    and yeah that is why i mentioned 'gdl' off the top of my head

6. impolyt_one

what? my dad is 60, man. Not that young. gdl self-ages himself in his posts, but guy isn't that old.

I think winner for most 'aged' young poster on styleforum is Mr. Moo and his extensive collection of two-tone handgrade spectator shoes - but he doesn't have any TOJs yet, so he is disqualified. :eek:

7. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

oops, read 40's in the wrong context.

8. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Haha, that's reassuring. After my birthday a couple of months ago...I feel old as dirt, man. I'm only about 4 years younger than you are. I gotta double up on my Flintstones Vitamin for grown ups now.

Your dad will surely be the outlier.

I always assumed that most of your customers are the undergrad age bracket, 18-23 yrs old.

I wish I have more time to lounge around here like the old days. I'm out of the loop on stuff now.

9. nineohtoo

nineohtoo Senior member

Seconded. I don't know how much demand there is for this at the moment, I think uncontrol may have been the only other person who brought it up. I think APC and 3Sixteen are the only brands who make a black jean in a cut I like that fits me. It would be nice to have some other serious options down the line, especially as I'm starting to prefer overdyed black denim over raw at the moment. But if you make a raw black denim that ages like Samurai's or The Flat Head's I'm in :nodding: Regardless, I'm looking forward to what other things TOJ has around the corner. I'm still interested in a bag and what we might see with the new canvas.

I put in my order for my fishtail too. I'm hoping I can get in a month, it just got hella cold over here.

10. Kross

Kross Senior member

Do you have any plans for any new leather pieces this year or is this one going to be focused on waxed cotton/denim/trousers

I just saw this geller jacket on Tumblr and thought about how next level it would be if TOJ made a new leather.

11. style_man

style_man Well-Known Member

what will pricing be like for ToJ trousers/jeans?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  12. Biggen

Biggen Senior member

I'm 6'5 so hoping the TOJ jeans at least will have a 36 inseam, 35 would work but is slightly shorter then I like it.

13. modalsaliency

modalsaliency Senior member

Seconding black jeans, if volume of demand is a thing.

14. meego

meego Well-Known Member

interested in both toj trousers and the jeans (especially if they are available in a black overdye)

here are some long overdue pictures of my toj1 which i received a couple of weeks ago

its summer here in australia hence the shorts, it was 39 degrees celsius yesterday

ive handled the anniversary model and this new varsity just kills it with the new ribbing, it just feels and looks meaner

at first i was also very reluctant with drew's choice of the raglan sleeve but its grown on me, and it was foolish of me to doubt drew's work

the fit is fantastic, but they werent kidding when they said the sleeves were slim

i work out as well so i guess i probably shouldve mentioned that in my email, so its a little tight in the shoulders and the chest when zipped up (not a biggie though)

it was a stock 46, i probably couldve gotten away with a 48 in 46 lengths

thanks again team!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. mike1445

mike1445 Senior member

Reading this thread has got my head all weird. Dreaming about duck canvas bare-zipper quilted lined moto Frankenstein jawnz...idea seems heinous now but it was an instakop in my head

16. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I'm not that old, turning 40 next year. I think that in the context of this thread (or SW&D), I'm in the tail of the curve though... Anyhow, who cares? The older person I know who wears ToJ is my dad - he is 66 and stole my suede blouson.... :slayer:

1 person likes this.
  17. impolyt_one

dude, you think that is weird? Some of my dreams combine TOJ with a lot of things... if this thread's discussion is the reality, then my dreams are... :eek: Some of the pieces have been conceptualized either almost fully or in some part in my dreams, I am not sure which anymore. I get really clear dreams sometimes, I have times where I'm working on things, they kinda meld together and solve their own problems in my head. :slayer:

If 36" for the inseam is gonna work for people, better to add the extra inch and then lop off whatever is needed in individual hem jobs, rather than have a bunch of people say they wish it was just one inch longer (pause) - the extra inch of fabric isn't gonna cost me the house, so whatever. I think 36" inseam is a little extravagant, you really do need to be about 6'5" with really freakishly long legs before you start questioning an inseam like that.

We can make black denim, but first I want to run some indigo raws, Made in Japan, the whole bit. Not repro denim, for sure. I want a pair of jeans I've been wishing for these past 6 years, something that combines a cool fit with nice but not extreme denim. I like APC's, they wear in nicely, the silver hardware is unbeatable if you want a pair of jeans that go with a bunch of casual stuff and can even step up to biz caz office jeans or something, and I've even come to embrace the crazy stretching and it makes part of the fit for me - but the end result after a year of hard-earned wear is kind of insipid, the fabric just doesn't make for the kind of contrast and depth that you'd want after that much wear. I also kind of begin to dislike the yellow, gravel-y color of the warp that comes through - tends to look like you just rolled around in a sandbox.

FWIW, I'm sitting here wearing a pair of Eternal 811's, I barely wear them out of the house because the fit is just so stupid looking on me. I have the Asian butt, so all I get a bunch of hip flare, really baggy but not stylishly baggy legs, the rise is too high for me to think about sagging them and making them look a bit cooler, they are a mess. The denim is cool I guess, but a bit hairy and slubby for my taste, prefer a slightly smoother fabric like the basic LVC 501 stuff. Those fade to a nice indigo shade. Still, for me, the fit on those is shitty as well. I gotta wear the European jeans for that fit.

18. impolyt_one

ah good point, forgot you gave your dad that jacket. I thought my old man was gonna be the oldest with a TOJ, guess not.

I guess to answer wj4's question though, the age range is a lot wider than he probably thinks, it's hard to tell a poster's age if they don't talk about it in some context. We get a lot of guys who email us and tell us how old they are as a preface for 'dude, this better not be too tight...'
    I make some stuff a little wilder than others so that it can cover a wider range - my dad wants a CWU-45, for example. I would wear that when I'm 60 as well. He isn't gonna look that great in a Quilted DR and I probably won't when I'm 60 either, but you know, some here, some there. I could probably die steezy of old age in an A-1, or the baseball jacket, the CWU45, the A-2, etc, etc. Since most are MTM and you can dial in however you want them to fit, the possibilities there are pretty wide ranging - it allows for pretty much any male past puberty all the way until death of natural causes to wear one or more of the TOJ's well.

Age isn't the biggest game changer and doesn't need to affect the design of your clothes so much IMO- it's probably more about staying fit and wearing nice clothes. I was sitting in the car yesterday watching this old guy with a white beard come down the overhead walkway in a tophat, cash DB coat over a suit, leather gloves and a big wool stole; guy looked like a really well-groomed version of Gen Fu - guy had more steez in his facial expressions alone than I've seen in months. He was wearing some pretty white-collar sartolialist-type stuff, but he would have looked just as cool in a beanie, the TOJ CWU-45 in black lamb, a knit turtleneck, and some trousers and chunky derbies or even monochrome black running shoes, or grey NBs 992's even.

19. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

i always loved the dior 19cm cut minus the inseam.. great for skinny asian body type

20. impolyt_one

The 19cm is a great cut for skinny Asians (many of which are in this thread...) but to note, a lot of the other popular denims come in around 19cm hems for a certain size, APC NS in my size (26 or 27) are about 19cm as well. The difference is that I think the Diors have a slight bit more rise in the front and a good amount (maybe an inch?) more in the back - they are well suited for sagging a bit if you have a flat butt. If you have a rounder butt I guess these things will fit slim bit ride higher, no surprises there.

I can't wait to have a nice pair of indigos that I can wear slung on the hips without branding (because well, I don't want to wear the Dior 'scar' anymore, that is really 2006) or the inch of my asscrack showing, which is what the APCs give everybody. We are good at locking in points and fits here, so expect that I won't be done with prototyping and fits til the day is truly done.