1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. eternaldrake

eternaldrake Senior member

materials is only a part of it, id imagine any shoemaker that puts out real quality product has quite the labor fee. theres a reason nice boots are as expensive as they are

2. James_M

James_M Senior member

Isn't everything that TOJ manufactures currently, and in the past, a version of something else that already exists? It's not like he's cranking out original designs. Not a criticism just an observation.

3. aether

aether Senior member

just make some flip flops and call it a day

4. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

+1

5. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

hahahahahaha jesus christ

6. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cue evil laughter. Seriously though, see how good that suede looks when it's beat up and a little dirty?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
    8 people like this.
  7. Vaio

Vaio Senior member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. cowsareforeating

cowsareforeating Senior member

drew sell me something that i can wear and beat up and not worry about and drip of dirty greasy sex on the back of a restaurant kitchen floor. and goes with black... so it can be white.

9. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

you're right about that general design, that is a good classic boot and the recipe for a good basic.... but sidezips or backzips are probably here to stay if you want to keep wearing boots. They allow for us in cultures where we have to take our shoes on and off to go inside to wear boots more comfortably. If they're done properly (i.e. on the instep and with bit of leather to semi hide the zipper) then they're hardly noticeable anyway. I'd be pretty certain that if I made boots, they'd be sidezipped.

2 people like this.
  10. A Fellow Linguist

A Fellow Linguist Senior member

^ My main problem with zip boots is that the shafts are always too large for my tiny ankles, so I can never get a good fit. For a while I had these really nice Dries jodphur style boots that I had to sell because of the shaft. Still regret that. :(

11. impolyt_one

I agree. It would be easier. You can't compare your experiences of buying other brand footwear to what these would be. We would be making these ourselves and know what the inner last sizes out to, all one needs to do is reliably measure their foot on a Brannock. If you have troubles buying footwear online with other brands of shoes (and I do too) - it's because the people who are selling them to you don't really know anything about sizing or the product. You can call Tres Bien Shop and say 'hey I'm a 41 in Common Projects... what size Margielas should I get?' and they will know because they probably own both niche pairs of shoes, but if you're talking about hassles with bigger stores and more unique or disparate products, it's because the people just don't really know and are guessing, mostly. Apples to oranges. If I make the shoes, I know what they measure out to. I will buy a Brannock device and gauge each of the lasts, it's as simple as that.

12. impolyt_one

If you're the kind of person so inclined to alter a boot like that - the boot with a zip would be easier to slim the shaft on than a boot without a zip, just saying. Ask your lady friends how this works, they do this to all their boots.

13. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Side zips without ridiculous treatments or strangely viking-ship-prow-like upturned toes.

1 person likes this.
  14. stick

stick Senior member

Seconding (thirding maybe) the jodhpurs. None of that elastic side nonsense. Something with a nice strap, all the ones I've seen look too dainty. And with a last that isn't too sleek.

15. impolyt_one

The 2010 DR and the Quilted DR, and then the obvious military jackets - those are my out and out ripoffs of classics (but try the originals, and see where they stand next to mine) - and then the rest are classical form factors done from scratch by me. That is what fashion design is, though. I don't go too crazy with the aesthetic by choice*, and TOJ doesn't have runway shows with outlandish styling, but take away those parts and you will see that Rick Owens makes MA-1s, basketball shorts, Nike AF1's, bomber and moto style leather jackets, etc. Raf Simons makes MA-1's, shirts and knits, trousers, derbies. There are motifs, there are foundations, the general game is the same though.

* I want people to be able to wear my clothes longer than a season or two, and to me, the best way to do that is by making something that is not going to look dated in 3 years. I mentioned RO because the very nature of that design aesthetic is irrelevant. I live in a city where people dress the way you guys will in two or three years, and I can say that the crystal ball holds no Rick Owens in your future.

I think possibly the idea of fashion design is misunderstood here... it's not sitting in a white atelier behind an easel, drawing fashion plates all day, lol

4 people like this.
  16. A Fellow Linguist

A Fellow Linguist Senior member

I had no idea that something like this was possible. This is a huge revelation for me!!!

17. GBear

GBear Senior member

I hope Charly is ready for a crapload of emails with pictures of people's feet. :foo:

2 people like this.
  18. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

would be interested to hear more about this, just curiosity

1 person likes this.
  19. impolyt_one

You guys want to know what you're gonna look like in two years, you mean?

4 people like this.
  20. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

I miss Japan.

Excited to see the boots drew.