Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. PipersSon

PipersSon Senior member

The understatement of the decade? You 'lucky'* punk.

* not really, talented boy.

2. PDinh

PDinh Senior member

This sounds so much like my campus. In addition to Guy Harvey and uh.. Sperry. :facepalm:

3. uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx Senior member

From a private buyer's prospective, a 3x multple on EBITDA is considered cheap. Strategics are expected to pay 6x-11x, while 2x-4x is considered a bargain, especially if you're planning on holding for 5 years or longer since it essentially pays for itself before maturity using excess cash flow sweep. Considering Drew is the industry leader in his segment, I think it would go for a higher premium than just 3. Realistically around 5 to 7. The only issue I see with the existing business model is scalability.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011

4. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

I wish I had youth on my side. :eek: I am turning 30 in a couple months, getting ready for the long haul I guess. I got your pm btw, I will talk with you after I get through some of my email stack and excels. I woke up at 5 this morning ready to do some work, and it's 8 now and I've barely started. :eek:

5. PipersSon

PipersSon Senior member

Ok,. let me know what works for you.

You may find this hard to believe but: 30 is nothing, just a feather floating on the ethereal..

6. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

7. impolyt_one

not a single soul

8. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

This is why i don't do business...

But seriously, wouldn't that depend on how you define "what it's worth"? I mean i didn't say "sell for 3 times what the yearly profits are".

"what it's worth" could mean 10x annual profits + patents + staff + etc etc.

9. PipersSon

PipersSon Senior member

Did you memorize all of that or if I were to interview you for a job you'd be a bit more nuanced?

10. impolyt_one

(car analogy) Scalability is possible with TOJ; we are revving at a very casual 2k here. That's not to say that the car isn't heavy; it is, but there's plenty left in the proverbial engine. It's like a BMW 520i, lol. We bring in extra sewing help when the loads are high and there are more facilities we can use, materials would benefit from economies of scale. There's more to do, I just don't mind having the little 2-person shop we have now so we've worked this way.
    It's hard to amortize certain costs when it comes to making a product so I just don't spend on them in the first place - for example, making samples for viewing in more than one color. That is how I bring the price down. It'd be nice, yes, but I don't see the sales reflecting the amount spent on samples. I don't like financial waste, clothes come and go, I think that is related to management more than anything else.
    In any case, TOJ is floating pretty high, and has been. I just wish I could exercise a bit more of my useless knowledge in other fields; after all, the clothing was accidental, and there were many other plans from the beginning. :eek:

11. PipersSon

PipersSon Senior member

Let's talk Drew. That's all I can say, in all humility.

12. uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx Senior member

It's stuff I picked up since I started working under my pres this June. Got wayy more to learn, only been on 6 deals or so.

Makes sense, you run ToJ really lean without any stupid expenses. I hope your bar/club idea takes off, seems like a cash cow. Just recently some people from my college invested in a nightclub, and they're doing pretty well. Just have Aeglus bring in swarms of the right people :slayer:.

13. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Nah, as much as I love the campus...I needed a change, but tuition is also a lot more. Woodbury.

Islander: She does not correlate to the MBA program, this is why I would probably never have met her if I was not introduced by my professor. She's the head of the Fashion program. Since I'm based in L.A., she has a lot of local connections. Some brands are wack, but hey you gotta get your feet in the door somehow.

Drew, I feel the same way. I'm turning 26 next month and I feel like I'm old as dirt, bro. I know I shouldn't, given that most of my classmates are at least 10 years older than I am, also they make a crap load more than I do as well.

How does business operates around ROK/Japan? I also have business plans drafted up if I should ever move back home. But I will need to rely heavily on connections of my family and high ranking friends. It's not a free market like here in the U.S. They keep the money to themselves, and just because you're most qualified doesn't necessary mean you will get in/be successful.

Talk about off topic, all from the Starbucks comment, haha.

14. wj4

wj4 Senior member

If a less than mediocre brand (to put it nicely) like Juicy Couture can become successful, I don't see why ToJ can't be on the same level. The reason I used the brand is because it's a very local brand originated from the 'hood, headquarters is still in the 'hood, with branches globally.

15. aaaeeeiiiooouuu

aaaeeeiiiooouuu Senior member

is it everyone's ultimate aspiration here to see TOJ morph into some sort of global brand?