TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. kasakka

kasakka Senior member

Bumping this, hoping Drew answers.

2. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

There aren't any job openings on the work side of TOJ, never were, otherwise Charly would still be here. I have plenty of money making opportunities for the right investors though, clothes and otherwise.
    Lately I've worked up an insane proposition for a bar/club in Seoul, if anyone is really serious (people with $1,000 or $5,000 to invest, I appreciate it, but that's not enough) - there is a huge opportunity to open what would become the next echelon of quality in a lounge. Korean small businesses monetize within a month if they're a good idea, and this is a next level idea - it's the next generation of where Seoul small businesses are going to, but haven't gone to yet, it hinges on human resources that we have and a few other variables that I can control. The idea above would not be a standalone thing, it'd be one part of many things that could be run simultaneously and really take over. (0) I have both a text business plan and a live tour for serious people with access to resources, if interested.

3. wj4

wj4 Senior member

I know, dude. But coming from my family background, I will probably be forever considered as a screw up since I decided not to become a doctor and follow in my dad's foot step. The MBA just helps soften the blow a bit, haha If there's one thing, well two things the program has done for me, they are: 1 ) really opened my eyes from a global perspective. Prior to the program, I was ready to stay in SoCal my whole life. Now, I'm ready to leave after graduation to wherever would benefit me the most, and 2) professors really are pushing me to follow my dream, as corny as that sounds.

You actually come up quite often during my talk to the fashion director of the school, in my continuous attempt to expand my network.

I need a private email address to communicate with you further, man. :D

4. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Since we have similar mind sets, have you ever considered how much money you need to make to live the lifestyle you want?

From the cars to the clothes, I think you would need to take home at least a million a year after Uncle Sam gets his share, haha.

5. drmmr

drmmr Senior member

Interesting.

I'll be ready to order a TOJ1 once I see proper pics of the Jason Bourne colorway. Sorry Drew, it's not that I can't afford to buy more, but I just can't wear anything else here. Way too fookin hot.

6. GBear

GBear Senior member

Lol, the Asian parent mentality. We've all experienced that. And man, SoCal is home. I moved and now regret it. Luckily, I'm coming back. :slayer:

7. Islander

Islander Senior member

You have mentioned this a couple of times now... does your business school actually have a fashion director?

8. uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx Senior member

If Drew's ideas take off, he'll be doing better than that. What side of business are you on/interested in?

9. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Yes. She's in charge of the fashion department. If my school didn't have one, why would I say so? I was introduced to her by my marketing professor when she found out I was into clothes/fashion.

I'm actually helping out at an event this weekend. It sucks that it has to be all black, as I don't have a lot of articles in black. I might use the DR 2010 for one of the days.

Unicorn - I have interest in lots of things, bro. Which is a double sided sword IMO.

10. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

CSUN?

11. Islander

Islander Senior member

I'm just curious, this concept is new to me. Is she on the faculty or is she like a staff member who advises MBA grads on how to dress better? Her title is kind of ambiguous.

12. Hodge

Hodge New Member

I'd like to see both of these as well. Especially the burgundy, because I'm apprehensive to drop the cash until I've at least seen it.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  13. emilo

emilo Senior member

^I just dinged 6th week on my burgundy TOJ1. Guess it'll ship soon, I'll treat this thread with pictures when it's in my hands.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  14. impolyt_one

well, it's certainly not that as of the moment, so it's pretty clear that we're gonna need to diversify soon. :devil: Also I gotta take care of Dan, we are a little Asian company and so we're both in this (not the clothes per se, but working) for life, he is my responsibility. :eek: If there were a place for Charly, I'd like him to come back as well.

There are a ton of small business opportunities in Korea and Japan, lots of money for the taking in Korea especially. Koreans come up with some creative solutions to making money sometimes, I will admit, but the problem is that there's only one originator, and everyone else is a copy, and all of these monkeys want to jump on the same branch - it always breaks, always. The other problem is that there is no quality in anything, everything is hollow. It's very possible to put quality into things, and that's what I'd like to do, add value to all these experiences people are wasting their money on over there, and forge forth into some new world for Koreans - it'd basically be like what Japanese people experienced 25 years ago. lol. Somebody's gotta do it. I am trying to find my way into some of that money I guess. It's very easy, just requires work.

Long story, I should post more on this, but it's something I'd like to make money off of in the future, so I'll curb that story here for now.

Some guys off styleforum, I guess they are, contacted me earlier this year because they want to open a clothing store in Seoul. I haven't heard back from them nor of the store so I don't know if it's still gonna go on, but it was gonna be tons of expensive imported mid-market clothes for men, the usual styleforum suspects. I honestly didn't have much hope for the store concept, because Koreans don't buy stuff. They will come into your store like ants and fondle all your racks of clothes with their caramel frappacino and shit-infested hands, and then leave, but they are not going to buy that $1200 blazer or the $800 shoes. They will just soil all the samples, take pics for their obscure naver blog, and then tell you it's too expensive and leave. I realize this is probably the reality of retail everywhere, but in Korea it's magnified by like a million, literally no one will buy anything.

^ this, but so much more. There are tons of braindead assholes making many millions a year in Asia, if anyone put any thought into anything it'd be amazing to see what could come of it.

15. impolyt_one

she runs the campus fashion police and has the duty to declare campus-wide states of fashion emergencies. :eek: Usually cases of minors under the influence of the North Face and Uggs, and frat boys disrupting the steez. :eek:

Now I really want to go back to college, just to style on some hoes. :fu: