TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

A du next to me touched my moto and complemented on it saying 'now this is real leather' and was surprised that the jacket 'fit me so well' despite my 'Asian body type'.
    Thanks Drew :slayer::slayer:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011

2. uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx Senior member

The only blue I've seen is artishard's bcdr

Sent from my HTC Sensation

3. Dellath

Dellath Senior member

I neeeeed to know when i can put my order in for a MDR VTG, that thing is as good as bought. I loves Raws and make harness leather belts, and this is a jacket i have been dreaming about.

4. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

very soon. Just meditating on a bit before an official release. Also catching up on old emails because I'm laid out with a stomach virus for like 3 days now :confused:

5. Dellath

Dellath Senior member

Don't mind me Drew, I just gotta cool my jets on this thing, it will be released when it's good and ready, I got a pair of IH 666 overdyes and was wondering what the VTG would look like with black or indigo stains around the cuffs and hems.
    Hopefully the colour over time will be orange/red around the collar and top half then ending with the hems and cuffs in a deep shiny blue/black/red patina. This jacket will look like it's bleeding colour from the inside out, as the pockets would be darker from when i would shove my booze soaked hands in them.:cheers:

6. impolyt_one

Indeed, that is the idea. Not many veg tan jackets out there on the market, and none tailored the way a TOJ is, so something special here. It's for people who know what they're gonna do with it and know what to expect it to look like though, for sure. One thing I've found is that are very small imperfections, scars etc in the leather here and there - just part of making something this big in veg tan. Certainly a size difference between this and a wallet or a belt for sure. Stuff like that, it's part of the jacket and the material.

Anyway, the price for the VTG jackets is $825. No zips in the pockets or cuffs, just a main zipper, kinda vintage-esque.
    There are three styles, no options or customizations to the design. 100% MTM as always though.

-Minimal DR in VTG style (shown a week ago) - 2 pocket front, no zips in the pockets or cuffs, no snaps in the lapels. convertible open cuffs
    -Collared Moto, VTG - no zips in pockets or cuffs, convertible open cuffs
    -2011 Moto, 2 pocket front, no zips in pockets or cuffs, convertible open cuffs. single snap on collar tab.

All three jackets were existing styles, CM tweaked a bit, but definitely look different in the new material.

Before anybody asks - yes, the collar on the CM changed, but yes, you still need to soak it and mold it to your liking. It has more height than a DR collar so you need to mold it so it stays like I showed a couple pages back - that's post-soak and dry. The DR would look cool with a soak too, some figuring in the collar and lapels would be nice.

These jackets are HARD. I mean that in the physical tactile sense, they are stiff as a board, they're tough, and they're hard to move around in at first. It might seriously take a couple weeks of wearing at home with a soft hoody on underneath or something just to get it bent up and creased in the right places, and a few conditioning sessions. The leather does soften considerably when you feed it some hydration, but when the surface dries it becomes stuff again, so it requires going at it a few times to break it in just to wear it comfortably. I would use neatsfoot or mink oil on these jackets. You choose whatever you want though.
    It's a lot like serious dry denim, the way you get it, need to soak it, get some creases going so your body can move in it, and it'll still be weird and stiff looking at first, and very clean and bizarre compared to 'normal' leather jackets, but after a little time the sweetness will start setting in and it'll pick up momentum once the surface is naturally glazed and starts picking up UV light regularly.

7. realmisr

realmisr Well-Known Member

Willy, what are the 2 colors furthest to the right?

8. impolyt_one

^ Steve says "I wish all you PC dudes had decent color calibration"

[​IMG]

9. realmisr

I'm just curious as to the accurate TOJ name for it used when placing the orders...I do photo retouching professionally so I definitely have better color calibration than 99% of the people here.

It's the yellow lighting that throws it off - looks like a dark grey/purple and a sand color?

10. echau

echau Senior member

Drew said my grey/black TOJ1 should be shipping next, so hopefully I'll have some pics for you guys soon!

11. impolyt_one

I've never fiddled with my color calibration on my Macs, and the pics I post and view on all my other devices stay pretty true to what I see in real life, so if you ever need to view a TOJ color swatch, just look at it on your iPhone, it should be what I am seeing.
    Colors left to right are dark royal blue, red, dark green, dark graphite, and then a caramel tan. All of these calf skins are Italian and pretty limited in quantity, just a few. Some people may order and have their money refunded in the case that the color is sold out by the time anyone cops, it may be too late. It was a week ago that I saw these colors.

12. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Drew, should we size the VTG as usual or do we need to make adjustments?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011

13. impolyt_one

you should give it a few more tenths in the chest and waist across, sleeve widths at pit and elbow, maybe a couple tenths at the wrist. Shoulders and lengths would be the same as other leathers. Just needs to be a bit boxier since it's so stiff. You do not want this thing to be tight or it will be a straightjacket.

14. realmisr

Gotcha, thanks for clearing that up!

The dark graphite and caramel tan looks very attractive...

15. impolyt_one

I've just cleared my inbox again, if you haven't heard from me in the past 24 hrs but expected to, bump yourself up.