TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

You didn't see the giant fur collar on yet. Which is actually much larger than I was expecting, haha ...

2. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

I genuinely feel everyone's happiness for me. it's hard to imagine this reaction when you compare to how I was on the forum several years ago, but the whole climate here has changed since then. Thank you!

I've certainly been moving in that direction and I can't see myself buying another leather any time soon. As much as I love leather, I think my red leather and this are enough. Gonna wear this thing every day until it starts snow storming outside. The leather is amazing quality but it needs to be broken in, too flat right now. Are there any pics of some lovingly worn TOJ lamb jackets?

3. polarcreamsoda

polarcreamsoda Senior member

peacoat not available anymore?

4. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

yeah the fur is huge. I like it though, the only other choice was piddly looking small-pile stuff that wouldn't have matched the snake at all. The low-pile nap stuff is good for Bombers. The collar on the Uncontrol was made from scratch from one whole hide, cost $150 for that alone, definitely a bit more costly than the lamb shearling.
    The jacket itself is a little more toned down than people were expecting, I couldn't find any suitable beads and the tassles on the zips were made short - but I figured we'd send the jacket since it was 99% done and if Uncontrol wants longer tassles or the beads he can just give me the word and we can send longer tassles out, beads if I find them. The small changes here and there were just a matter of making a fantasy photoshop into a practical working piece. I try to stay away from that concept, because people latching on to Photoshop mockups will only be disappointed by reality and the limitations of material acquisition. As far as leather jacket making in general goes, I've learned over the couple years that finding suitable materials for a certain purpose means whittling down what was three hundred choices to just one suitable option, most of the time. That's obviously frustrating.

The black lamb and the anaconda are a nice material mix, they show similar gloss, so from a distance it looks more like a pattern shift to the lapel rather than a full-on material change upon first glance. I washed the lamb beforehand to make it a little more durable, since he can't soak that jacket afterwards. I think once the arm accordians are broken in and the jacket gets a little wear and hand oils on it, it'll come alive.

I probably don't plan on using any more snakeskin like that again. Might find some other use for it, but a) it's fucking expensive, easily one of the most expensive materials we'll ever use, and b) the scales don't roll with the hide, they stick out a little if you bend it, like a fish or something. That would be the difference between real snake and fake snake, I guess. Knowing what materials cost now, 90% of the time you go to a store, it's depressing how little material cost some brands put into their expensive clothes. 10% of the time I'm kinda surprised they can swing certain things, but materials do have slightly different costs everywhere I guess. America has awesome leather and stuff but the workmanship would suck if I tried to make jackets there. :eek:

Also you guys skipped over Islander's CWU-45 fit in the Uncontrol Rider madness. :eek: Still my favorite jacket. Islander is like 6'4 or 6'5, had a hard time sizing him at first because I hadn't drawn up the sizing guide at that point. We worked on that for awhile and then decided to make it into a CWU-45, turned out nicely.

5. impolyt_one

They're gonna be back this week or so. Looks the same as the original with a couple minor tweaks.

6. impolyt_one

This is pre-washed lamb (like yours) after like 6 months of hard wear, all weather. The leather fades to navy blue in the really high wear areas, it's amazing.
    [​IMG]

7. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

Re: the beads, let me know if you find something suitable, otherwise it's fine as it is or I could just have someone here do it, I'm sure I know some weirdo hippy jeweller.

Thanks once again!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011

8. artishard116

artishard116 Senior member

mines gotten some pretty good wear.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    ceiling lights make it look a little more shiny than irl.

9. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

Thanks!

I guess I need to wear it for about a decade to get the kind of creases I want :eek:

10. jslade

jslade Senior member

:bounce2: :bounce2: :bounce2:

11. netsua

netsua Senior member

Hope you're referring to the chesterfield as well, It's the only one I still need :happy:

12. aaaeeeiiiooouuu

aaaeeeiiiooouuu Senior member

i hope this means this week

13. AHShadow

AHShadow Senior member

Are they're going to be any new models also?? :D

14. PipersSon

PipersSon Senior member

Given that I saw the last of my 20s some 12 years ago, and would not dream of wearing most TOJ jackets in the style and fit favored by you young'uns....

Given all of that, most jackets that Drew makes range from the good to the very very good, a function of the jacket and the fit.

This one makes it to great. It is a combination, IMHO, of (a) the way you carry it and (b) the snakeskin that can be seen on the collar. The snakeskin that I can see complements the rest of the jacket, enhances the look in a way that is both stunning and subtle. Although it shouldn't be both, and especially the latter.

My only quibble is that pocket on your lower right, but what do I know. Wear it in good health.

I'll bugger off now.

15. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

:inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

Didn't you say you had something new for the winter wear too?

+ before I get my iron on the jacket, someone please tell me how to get the deep wrinkles out of the leather jacket It somehow went in between the desks while I was moving moving out and the wrinkles look hideous