TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Yeah I kinda see sawed on that for a bit and decided that would be the best finish overall. I just recommend you wear it a lot and either touch your jacket a lot, or get girls to do it for you. :eek: That way the calandering of the high spots will work out nicely - there's still lanolin left in the hides so as you touch it, it'll kind of rejuvenate itself and bring that lanolin to the top and show softer and shinier in the contact areas.

same goes for Emilo and anyone else who has hot soaked and dried their jacket.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011

2. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

Well I think my fav part of wearing leather is all the creasing at the elbows and stuff, haha. I'll have sex in it.

3. GBear

GBear Senior member

It seems like all of this washing is done to lambskin. I'm assuming it would work with calfskin as well? And is giving it a spin in the washing machine unnecessary? I want to try this with my ToJ as I would like to rid the jacket a bit of the glossiness. Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011

4. skyline

skyline Senior member

a soak on the calf will make the leather lose some of it's gloss, leather won't tighten up like lamb tho

5. uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx Senior member

Yea, when I first started looking for a leather jacket, Drew had just released the first iteration of the DR. It wasn't what I was looking for, so I passed and got a Schott 141. Fast forward a few years, I get out of college and start working, and start jonesin' for another leather jacket. Was gonna cop a custom Langlitz Columbia, but found the 2010 DR by coincidence. I was blown away by how much Drew had learned/changed over the years. The only reason why I signed up on SF was to follow this thread, lol.

Went to San Francisco this weekend. and forgot my DR at home. Felt like part of me was missing the entire time :fu:

6. LPatterson

LPatterson Senior member

Out of curiosity, have any BB jacket owners managed to stretch out their rib trims sufficiently to eliminate the triangular shape? If so, how long did it take? I've been slowly (it's still hot as shit here) breaking it in and the triangle's gradually becoming less pronounced.

7. impolyt_one

^ skyline is correct, the calf is denser and not filled with lanolin like lambskin is; therefore washing is not as effective. You probably wouldn't notice much of a difference. It'll just get drier and more prone to cracking, especially the brown version. The black is tanned differently so you can't compare the two. All of the leathers are different because the recipes for coloring them a certain color is different.

8. drmmr

drmmr Senior member

I would buy your furniture if you ever venture down that path. (0)

Also, I'm on the fence about getting a TOJ1 cos I'm in the fooking tropics.

9. impolyt_one

Furniture... is long a road. Only worth doing if I can squeeze out all the abstraction from my soul and channel it into something to make. I have a pretty decent engineering mind for the simple practical things, and can make what looks abstract have a function, but furniture making is a lot more like bag making, rather than clothes making, and the two are very different IMO. I don't know, they might be closer than I think they are, I might be mentally blocking myself on that.

Clothes are like food recipes, riffing on the classics, sometimes discovering something new and riffing on that, but mainly it's remixing and re-presenting what has existed. I guess bags and furniture are like that too, by way of gravity, but people really get most attached to the really familiar when it comes to clothes.

10. malakas

malakas Senior member

cmoooon, when the time comes, you wont, ok

11. drmmr

drmmr Senior member

Are you trying to hurt my feelings, otter?

12. malakas

malakas Senior member

i honestly think you think that you would buy toj furniture, but when the time comes, well.....it will end up like the backpacks

13. impolyt_one

ftfy

14. GBear

GBear Senior member

Thank you for the response Drew.Your memory is damn good to remember what I ordered. I guess I won't be washing it then!

15. impolyt_one

If you've posted a fit pic, I know what jacket you ordered... if you don't, then I usually don't (in rare cases I do, if it's a piece I go out of my way for, or it's unique)