TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Vaio

Vaio Senior member

I think it's this color.

[​IMG]

2. Goombi

Goombi Senior member

I'd go with vaio's too. But it really is hard to tell on screen because everyone's screen is calibrated differently.

3. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

damn, I've been eyeing that Brown A-2. I would def go w/ the brown over the black or whiskey. The shearling is basically a must have...not that you'll use it all the time, but just got to try it out at least once...

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011

4. GBear

GBear Senior member

Anyone get a tracking number for their orders sent out today yet? :eek:

5. chiggah

chiggah Senior member

I believe it's the same colour in first pic. Drew mentioned the browns are the same, that is just different lighting.

6. jslade

jslade Senior member

Yeah, I assumed as much, but just wanted to double-check to make sure. The dark brown bomber looks like an awesome leather, and I've been lusting after it for a while. Feels good to finally start getting things rolling.

Yeah, the shearling is fantastic. I had the F/W '10 bomber in black with a shearling collar, and the thing is warm as well. Feels good to be wearing a nice leather while everyone else is trooping around in ill-fitting North Face garb, man. While I'm sure that whiskey is a gorgeous color in person, I'm not sure that I'd like to be walking around in it during the dead of winter.

7. Grug

Grug Senior member

Here's one last pic of the bike and my Moto... just because :nodding:

[​IMG]

I'm torn now, Whiskey or Sand Tan MDR? I can't decide what my next ToJ should be...

Also, single Aeglus brought the topic back up, why does anyone want to change ToJ's name? Personally I think Temple of Jawnz sounds awesome.

8. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

I've never ever heard anyone saw jawn or jawnz in real life :/

9. Grug

Grug Senior member

That's doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It's a matter of faith, which is why you worship at the temple.

10. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Alright, the definitive size guide, part A: Using an existing jacket to find your size

Step 1: find yourself a jacket that fits you well/pretty well/well enough that you can deduce what's wrong with the measurements if it doesn't fit well.

Not just any jacket, but something is:
    a) lightweight, without insulation or being overly thick
    b) short length, not 3/4 length, no blazers, no anoraks, etc
    c) no raglan sleeve jackets - we can't find shoulder measurements using this. You may use a raglan sleeve jacket for finding all other measurements but the shoulders, if it fits you well.

Examples of lightweight jackets you can use: Rider's style jackets, etc, harrington jackets, bomber style jackets, track jackets, denim jackets, even zip up hoodies and full-zip cardigans (provided they aren't of a thick sweater variety and fit the shoulders normally, and not too high) etc, etc.

Examples of jackets not to use: blazers, 3/4 coats, car coats, long coats, winter coats, down jackets, etc

Step 2: Prepare yourself to use some common sense and deduction. It is likely that the jacket you are using above in step 1 does not fit exactly how you want it to - so you'll use your intuition and best logic to figure out how much you can deduct or add to a certain dimension in order for it to fit. Do not go too tight.

Step 3: Determine a couple things before you start measuring
    a) Does this jacket have a ribbed cuff and hem? Or is it straight cut, like a rider's jacket?
    b) if ribbed, it's likely the jacket has a slightly blousier fit, and it would be good for using as a baseline for ribbed-bottom/cuff jackets, such as the A-2 Bomber, A-1, CWU-45, Anniversary Harrington or MA-1, etc
    c) if straight cut, it may or may not fit on the slimmer side, and would be better for using as a baseline for rider's style jackets: Moto, DR's, etc.

If you have access to either kind of jacket, then start with the appropriate style jacket.

Step 4 If you are not 100% sure if the jacket is appropriate to use as a base, send me an email with a pic of the jacket you plan to use. I need to see a fit pic of it. From there I can tell you if it's an appropriate baseline.

Step 5: Measure your example jacket. Zip it up, and lay it flat. All measurements should be taken with two hands, and you should pull any extra fabric out as far as it can go. This is especially true for ribbed bottoms and cuffs Record measurements as you go. If you decide that a certain dimension should be different on your TOJ and do a little adding or subtracting via deduction, then put that idealized measurement in parentheses to the right of the actual measurement.

fig 1) Shoulders are taken across the front. If there is a collar in the way, try to push it down as far as possible so that it doesn't interfere with the measurement. Measure at the point of the 'T' seams.
    [​IMG]

fig 2) Pit to Pit. Taken across the chest, right at the pit seams where the body meets the sleeve. Pull the jacket out flat at both sides to get the proper measurement.
    [​IMG]

*** note *** Some jackets may have side seams that don't reach all the way to the sides, as below. Measure to the outside, over the side seam. If you just measure to the seams for the p2p, you will come up short if this is the case.
    [​IMG]

fig 3) Midsection. This measurement is about where your ribcage ends, so find that area on the jacket. This measurement is probably going to be the most varied, as some jackets fit closely here, and some do not obviously. It depends on the style of the example jacket you use. For TOJ jackets, the Rider's style jackets benefit from closer sides, whereas the Bomber style don't need to be as close.
    [​IMG]

fig 4) Waist: The measurement at the bottom hem of the jacket.
    On ribbed bottom styles, pull the sides out as far as they go and measure across the top where the ribbing starts, not on the actual ribbing.
    [​IMG]
    on straight-cut hems, lay the jacket flat and then guesstimate a little to make up for lost length on the rounded edges:
    [​IMG]

fig 5) Front length: (the back length is calculated automatically from the front length) - Start from the bottom of the collar band, or if the jacket doesn't feature this the same way, then where the small between your collarbones is, to the bottom of the jacket, straight down.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

fig 6) Sleeve length: from the top of the sleeve head, center, to the end of the sleeve, center.
    [​IMG]
    If straight cut, or angled sleeve; as such:
    [​IMG]

fig 7) Sleeve widths; hold measuring tape perpendicular to the sleeve and measure from the pit, the elbow and then the cuff (if ribbed cuff, above the ribbing)
    width at bicep
    [​IMG]
    width at elbow
    [​IMG]
    For ribbed cuffs, again, pull out the material as wide as it can go, measure across the top of the ribbing and not on the ribbing itself, and then guesstimate a little as well, to make up for lost length
    [​IMG]
    For straight cut cuffs, lay them flat, also guesstimate to make up for lost length in your measurement, or you will come up slightly too short
    [​IMG]

Sounds long, but it's just 9 measurements to take and it can be done in 5 minutes or less.

11. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored

Good guide and all, but now I just want a five-zip.

12. impolyt_one

I want a money tree, a blacked-out unicorn to ride, and a harem of Japanese gravure idols, but life is cruel man.

13. impolyt_one

Don't use a raglan sleeve jacket to try and guesstimate shoulder widths. Inevitably the measurement will come out wrong. You may use the raglan for calculating everything but shoulders and sleeve length, though.
    [​IMG]

14. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

what if you don't have a jacket that fits well :embar:?

15. impolyt_one

Refer to Guide B: measuring your body. (I will post that in a sec)