Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

2. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

3. A Fellow Linguist

A Fellow Linguist Senior member

Agreed.

re: ToJ fit, it reminds me of all the dudes who ask about getting J Crew tailored to fit like BoO. You have a dream jacket in your head, and here comes ToJ, who make wonderful custom jackets, and people want to reconcile the two. Even though ToJ products are an insane deal given the quality of materials and expertise involved, it's a lot of money to drop on one item and nobody wants to spend seven bills on a jacket that's not exactly right in their eyes. I think some combination of the price and ability to customize to an extent leads to an expectation that when you order a ToJ jacket you get it exactly how you want, and people forget that what they're buying is a product that's designed to be a certain way. It's a product of Drew et al.'s labor and love of good clothes, but when it's open to customization of course everyone wants to come play designer. I think the impulse is understandable, but it gets out of hand when the relationship between designer and customer base is so close.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011

4. cloonz

cloonz Senior member

You just misread my post. I'd spend $500 on a set in sleeve navy/cream varsity with solid trim, white buttons, white trim around pockets, and my measurements. Drew said he would do it at that price a couple months ago. Then I bought a sample piece and didn't follow up on the varsity yet. Besides ToJ, nobody did anything close to that at the price they were charging with all that customization - I still feel the varsity is the defining ToJ piece no matter how nice the leathers get. Also, I understand that he wants to move onto new designs and that the old varsities were chaos with everyone asking for different things.

I won't spend whatever he decides to charge on the new varsity because that just isn't what I want. But hey, if people end up selling their old varsities to fund this new one maybe I'll luck out and finally find one on the marketplace finally.

5. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

So basically you absolutely had the opportunity to buy your perfect jacket, knowingly squandered said opportunity, and are now bitching about it here? Wow.

6. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

True. It's sort of like the "give and inch, they take a mile" type of thing.

7. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

this thread is making me sad. lets get back to people posting pictures of their badass leathers.

8. cloonz

cloonz Senior member

Oh fucking please - where was I bitching? Once I bought the sample piece I read shortly after that Drew wanted to do another varsity so I figure I'd wait around for the details. I say I am no longer excited about this new varsity when Drew mentioned raglan sleeves and a Number (N)ine varsity collar so you take that as bitching? I just say I don't like raglan sleeves but nothing like "fuck this you dont base your designs around one random persons opinion what a joke??"

Really now?

9. A Fellow Linguist

A Fellow Linguist Senior member

cloonz is the cancer killing ToJ

10. senchao

senchao Well-Known Member

GTFO

11. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

ok if it stops raining enough to kill famous people in korea I might try one

12. willy cheesesteak

willy cheesesteak Senior member

Some of ya'll need to stop replying.

13. Razele

Razele Senior member

@Drew

Man I totally understand were you are coming from with all this. I'd do what makes you happy man - people jump up and down for customization, but it doesn't usually work out. There are things I would love to make, but I understand your not quite 'Drew Keith - Fine Custom Clothier' but not a stock standard retail / wholesale lot, so I'm not going to get what I want 100% of the time - usually 90-95 though. It'll be sad when we just go to stock sizes and colorways, but completely understandable - it'll stop most of this garbage and poor fit complaints from happening, an maybe let you concentrate on what you want rather then getting half lost trying to be the everyman in these situations. That only happens because you just want to see people happy with nice Jawnz, which is noble, but probably to your detriment.

I can see the day when there isn't even much community involvement, you just announce new stuff and put pictures and options up and that's it. Fair enough too - I wouldn't want to wade through this thread sometimes. However, one of the best things about this operation is the personal connection we get with you man, and the way a community has come together (sup willy & co.) to fill in what's been needed. This is one of the best threads on SF hands down - and your one of the best posters here, irrespective of this thread.

Do what makes you happy Drew, that's always going to be your best work.

14. Razele

Razele Senior member

Doublepoast.

15. Teger

Teger Senior member

dear drew,

stop asking people's opinions. close this thread and open a blog where you just announce new designs.

you'll be happier.