TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Anyway... that's not to say I haven't taken anything from the thread or enjoyed it as whole, that's completely wrong as I do enjoy making TOJ stuff and I think when it goes my way and people try not to ignore the obvious that it goes well, but yeah, it is indeed the varsity jacket that is like some pavlovian signal for the most worthless input...

2. about11oclock

about11oclock Senior member

Drew my man,
    You seem kind of bummed. Focus on the positives. You know all the good shit that has come as a result of your starting TOJ far outweighs the noise of a couple of hypebeasts.

3. realmisr

realmisr Well-Known Member

No doubt there will always be those people, Drew. I think you already know you have a good amount of true believers and whom trust in your work and appreciate your new direction in certain patterns. Those are honestly the people who matter most - fuck the negative and pointless comments.

4. Spy

Spy Well-Known Member

I think that ultimately you need to block out people bitching about the littlest things and design pieces YOU see right. Really, if they dont like raglan sleeves, they wont buy the jacket. simple as that.

5. cloonz

cloonz Senior member

Like I said earlier - there is no way you can possibly please everyone. Just do what you and make your paper boo boo.

6. impolyt_one

That's good and obviously the sensical thing, but what I am saying is, the discussion thread is also my means of selling things, and I have people who don't really know what they're talking about putting in weight on my thread, see what I mean? cloonz was the first to hear 'raglan sleeve' and was like, well, I'm not buying one, and dropped that in the thread, but he hasn't really told us why this makes his world fall apart so easily - I'd listen and really be willing to take it to heart if it were legitimate reasoning.

7. obiter dictum

obiter dictum Senior member

Sure and that's also why at least I can't make a "legitimate reasoning" for why I don't like raglan sleeves. I just don't think it looks good. If you don't want to hear that, that's alright I guess. It's not like I'm out to ruin your day or anything.

I really don't agree with what some people here seem to be saying though, that commenting on raglan sleeves is "bitching about the littlest things". It drastically changes how the shoulders look, and shoulders are a defining part of any jacket.

I know that wasn't directed at me exactly, but I've been one of the "no raglan plz" people so I thought I'd reply. This will be my last raglan related post.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011

8. cloonz

cloonz Senior member

I have an ideal varsity in my head and it looks exactly like the Anniversary edition. That is just my opinion. I just don't like raglan sleeves or pretty much any of the collars I've seen on designer varsities in recent years. I'm sure there are people who agree with me and some who completely disagree.

I think I said on SuFu that I would do $500 to have that varsity made and I am wanting to do it even more since you started talking about the new version. Pretty much everything can be a deal breaker for me. Even if everything was perfect except the buttons were navy on a navy/cream varsity instead of white I would hate it.

Whatever you decide upon will probably look great, I just won't be buying one because that isn't what I'm looking for.

9. about11oclock

about11oclock Senior member

time for a blacklist update.

10. mreggen

mreggen Senior member

Now Drew knows how Chappelle feels when doing stand-up and people yell "I'M RICK JAMES BITCH!"

11. impolyt_one

I just 'liked' your post, mreggen.

12. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

Going to do 46 with 44 arm width and probably 48 sleeve length. Just wondering if I should take the shoulders into between 44 and 46 or just leave them at 46.

13. Johnny Amiga

Johnny Amiga Senior member

I'm quite surprised that Drew hasn't completely lost it with like 85% of leather jacket fit critiques. Of course there've been obvious cases where something is clearly wrong and I've no idea what has caused them. Maybe the customer measured wrong or thought he'd be able to add 10kgs of muscle to his frame or whatever, but if one actually goes thru the toj gallery and looks at JUST the fits, those are rare. Most of the fits there are pretty damn good.

There are loads of pictures that look bad cause they've been taken in a shitty toilet somewhere with an iphone camera or pics where dudes are standing in these ridiculous mafoofan robot poses, but even in most of those pictures, the actual fit of the jacket is rarely off.

I guess it's a good thing people keep posting fit pics, but I think a whole lot of them make the product look alot weaker than it actually is in real life.

14. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

inb4 "This is why we can't have nice things."

Now what am I gonna do when I want a minimalist moto next fall. :(

edit: Not that I don't bear at least some of the responsibility, but fuck.

15. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

So, you're saying you're willing to spend $500 on a varsity (big # to get people's attention), but you want it perfect, and everything is a possible deal breaker, and really you won't be buying. GOTCHA.

As for Drew, I hope you don't stop making leather. I absolutely love mine and intend on getting more in the future. I'm sure many feel the same way, even if they don't post it.