TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Islander

Islander Senior member

CWU-45 looks good D. More pics pls.

2. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Didn't someone one here crash his motorcycle wearing a ToJ? I'm not sure what kind of leather it was, but if I recall correctly it was damaged beyond repair, and he was driving at a low speed. Just get some proper riding gear, better to be safe than sorry.

he did - but wouldn't you expect any leather jacket to be damaged beyond repair if you take a slide in it? [​IMG] There aren't many non-technical jackets that aren't gonna get shredded and look like bum if you slide on asphalt in them.

3. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Senior member

he did - but wouldn't you expect any leather jacket to be damaged beyond repair if you take a slide in it?
    Actually, no. A good set of leathers will take quite a bit of abuse/damage before you have to throw them out, and most are repairable. It really depends on the type of accident, but leathers are one of those things I wouldn't expect to replace every crash, unlike the helmet. If you had to replace a set of leathers after every crash, I shudder to think what the weekend track guys would have to do for money... And I've got buddies with jackets with tons of road rash, but are still ready for more.
    Not true at all. The point is, ToJ jackets look great, but if I wanted a jacket with "protection" first in mind, I'd have to go with a Schott, Vanson, Langlitz, Bates Leathers, etc. However, none of those guys produce jackets that look as good, IMO, as ToJ and since I'm already riding in sneakers and denim, well, it's a risk assessment kind of thing. I like ToJ jackets, but motorcycle gear they are most likely not (I haven't handled one in real life, so I can't make an objective assessment).

4. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

I imagine those jackets are built for the purpose, though, not for aesthetics. I don't know why TOJ, which is not directed at motorcyclists, would make that kind of durability a priority.

5. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

i think hot dog was trying to figure out if a toj would be suitable to protect from stones/pebbles while riding (not falling)... a thick horse/calf is more than enough i suspect.

6. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

i think hot dog was trying to figure out if a toj would be suitable to protect from stones/pebbles while riding (not falling)... a thick horse/calf is more than enough i suspect.
    Even the lamb is fine if that's all you need it to protect you from. It's pretty thick stuff.

7. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Senior member

I imagine those jackets are built for the purpose, though, not for aesthetics. I don't know why TOJ, which is not directed at motorcyclists, would make that kind of durability a priority.
    Exactly what I was saying. You don't buy ToJ if you want protection in a motorcycle crash. It may help, but I imagine it's a one shot deal. I'm not trying to slam ToJ, because that's not the market. It'd be nice if it were "motorcycle quality," but there's a reason why most motorcycle jackets are big and bulky looking vs. sleek and slim like ToJ, Julius, etc. Having said that, I'd still rock a ToJ on my bike. I want that quilted in Red and the minimal in dark gray. [​IMG] BTW, if you carry full coverage insurance, most have a 2000-3000 "equipment replacement" allowance, which should be more than enough to replace the jacket, helmet, etc...

8. scott.m

scott.m Senior member

damn, seriously? That was just yesterday. 1.25 days to your door. Scott M should look for his too I guess, they shipped together.

Jesus fucking christ. This thing is bad ass. Drew, you'll be seeing a deal of business from me soon I suspect. This is fucking insane.

9. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

^Which did you get? Fitpics brother.

BTW, if you carry full coverage insurance, most have a 2000-3000 "equipment replacement" allowance, which should be more than enough to replace the jacket, helmet, etc...
    Right, but the deductible and premium increase would obviously kill that if it's just a slide. Would have to be a pretty gnar crash to be worth making a claim.

10. vaalbara

vaalbara Senior member

Jesus fucking christ. This thing is bad ass. Drew, you'll be seeing a deal of business from me soon I suspect. This is fucking insane.

pix pls

11. impolyt_one

holy shit that is fast - that is 1.5 days, considering those packages left around 4pm Monday and it's 8:50am Wednesday in Korea right now.

12. impolyt_one

CharlieAngel - we're actually working on a more true motorcycle jacket with new-age pads inside it (classic TOJ Moto outside look) for my friend (I talked about this months ago but it's being made finally) but that is a matter of it having more crash protection than a non-padded jacket while maintaining a (somewhat bulkier) TOJ look. I expect it to suffer from rash if it goes down, that is what I am talking about. You can't expect to abrade leather like that and not scar the finish.

13. scott.m

scott.m Senior member

Yeah I am dumbfounded, it's too hot for a fit pic today but soon enough.

14. impolyt_one

USPS has trouble sending letters across the same town in 1.5 days - how do they get it from across the world to your door in that kind of time? amazing.

15. scott.m

scott.m Senior member

ems kicks the shit out of USPS. [​IMG] as requested. shitty rushed pic. my b.