TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

^ Yeah, that's exactly it. Probably shows it better than the stock photo I posted.

2. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

oh yeah. small change makes a big difference. good call

3. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

Yeah, I'm really glad Drew was flexible about that. I realize it's a minor difference, but I probably wouldn't have gone ahead with it otherwise.

4. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

Really? I think given the lack of quilting the change makes perfect sense but I wouldn't have thought it'd be a dealbreaker. Subtle change but good idea.

5. Hot Dog Day #49

Hot Dog Day #49 Senior member

I'm probably gonna get a motorcycle, would a ToJ be a good enough jacket to wear as gear? thinking about a whiskey calf DR

6. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

I don't ride, but from what I understand, no.

That buttery soft lambskin ain't going to save you from the pavement.

7. Hot Dog Day #49

Hot Dog Day #49 Senior member

i'm talking about the calf tho

8. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

There is no more whisky calf. Just black and brown. You guys can ride in whatever jackets, but understand that just like anything, jackets only give as much protection as they are thick - there's no magic force field or anything surrounding them, it's just common sense. A Schott Perfecto, a TOJ calf or horse - they're biker style jackets but know there's no insurance policy or guarantee attached to them for that sort of thing.

Really? I think given the lack of quilting the change makes perfect sense but I wouldn't have thought it'd be a dealbreaker. Subtle change but good idea.

The lapel shape was made longer for a reason - the shorter lapel doesn't stay open like the longer one (see gdl's) does. There is a reason for everything I plan.

9. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

Right, but that change isn't necessarily for the worse, just makes the thing closer to an MDR - it's effectively a different jacket. Personally, I wouldn't (won't) mess with the thing, the longer lapel and the quilting are integral, but if you do away with the quilting it totally changes the jacket and all bets are off. I like NWI's version.

10. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

FWIW, I didn't do away with the quilting or "mess with the thing", the BCDR was offered from day 1 in two configurations: with or without quilting. My jacket shows no modification to Drew's original design.

11. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

I am well aware of that but the first unveiling and my first look at it was with the quilting, and hence that defines what I think it should look like - plus, I honestly just like it better with quilt than without. Just my opinion, though. People obviously disagree with me given that I haven't seen any fit pics of a quilted one yet.

12. LionelFrankenstein

LionelFrankenstein Senior member

I've been looking forward to seeing the quilted version too. I thought the quilting makes the jacket too but notwitit's fit made non-quilt look good. I'd rather go with the MDR than non-quilted BCDR. I just need to get past spending this amount on a jacket even though I already have a fishtail.

13. artishard116

artishard116 Senior member

damn, sample piece shipped monday, here today

14. Rover!

Rover! Senior member

I'm probably gonna get a motorcycle, would a ToJ be a good enough jacket to wear as gear? thinking about a whiskey calf DR

Didn't someone one here crash his motorcycle wearing a ToJ? I'm not sure what kind of leather it was, but if I recall correctly it was damaged beyond repair, and he was driving at a low speed. Just get some proper riding gear, better to be safe than sorry.

15. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

damn, sample piece shipped monday, here today

damn, seriously? That was just yesterday. 1.25 days to your door. Scott M should look for his too I guess, they shipped together.