Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Stylish Dinosaur

I don't have $1500 lying around right now, seriously, and it's almost summer here anyway so it's good for me to put it off till the end of August (this August; so not next year) or so if Drew's OK with that (and he didn't say he wasn't). Drew didn't post the price, he PM'ed it to me, and I posted it here because I thought it was noteworthy.

[​IMG]
    I PM'ed you the cost breakdown not knowing you were gonna go and post it straight up on the forums. That wasn't supposed to be the case. I told you the Uncontrol Rider was a goodwill project that I was willing to do for you- you want the additional exotic skins/furs and those are driving the price to 5x what a normal TOJ jacket costs materials-wise; the point of that was for me to explain to you that I was doing this thing for you because, well, you have unique tastes. The margin I would make is not enough to cover the UR if it were to go missing in the mail. Honestly, it's not a very smart project to make, on my side...

I didn't respond yet about the August part, because I don't have time to sit around thinking about what orders are coming in during August; I focus on the orders I have currently and have been paid for. I understand that people don't have $1500 lying around; that is why I offered to make you a snake and fur-less Uncontrol DR at the regular price, $710 shipped. [​IMG]
    As I told you though, things will be a bit different going into the end of summer and I may not be able to accept a custom order. I have some personal things going on in my life that are going to be more important by August/September (and soon, actually) than worrying about small finicky customizations on the designs I have already made and set out... so I made you an offer, and there is no installment plan on something with enormous material cost, or any kind of unlimited time offer. It's do or die, for the Uncontrol Rider [​IMG]

2. imhotep

imhotep Senior Member

^ been casually watching this uncontrol rider business and saw that coming

3. onetwozoo

onetwozoo Well-Known Member

anniversary harrington for sure.

4. impolyt_one

^ been casually watching this uncontrol rider business and saw that coming

Somebody with some free time can do the requisite restaurant analogy today. [​IMG] Imagine TOJ being a quaint little bistro with solid business, serving up solid, satisfying duck confit, tartines, quiches, salads, house wines, etc, etc with plates for $4-19, and then the Uncontrol Rider being the request for foie gras torchon and black truffles and a glass of Petrus, and then telling everyone in the restaurant what his meal rings up for. [​IMG]

5. Razele

Razele Distinguished Member

Imagine TOJ being a quaint little bistro with solid business, serving up solid, satisfying duck confit, tartines, quiches, salads, house wines, etc, etc

Real talk, this is my life, I just work, wear ToJ / Raf / Margiela / Schneider (lil bit Dries) and cook / bake french food

Making financiers (plain with almond slices / strawberry with glaze / pistachio with dark chocolate ganache) tonight for my girlfriend and also my sister [​IMG]

Going to make apricot and nectarine baked tarts on Saturday [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Razele

Drew can we start a French Bakery and Brasserie combo, with Fine Leather Goods?

"Keith, Taite & Co. Fine Baked Goods And Miscellania"

7. xtreme588

xtreme588 Active Member

with all the restaurant analogies, i always thought a french food/restaurant-related word would be a good name for a TOJ rebranding

8. Razele

I have always loved Drew's idea of a restaurant that serves food and jawnz, if I lived in UK or NY / L.A I would totally do that, french bakery treats, good coffee, a few basic lunch dishes ie confit duck, beef bourgignon, ploughmans lunch, pork roast in milk, watercress salads etc and then my own house line with lame basics and designer knits / outerwear with nice well made shoes and basic sneaks.

Would give a 15% student discount on 'student nights' held regularly and sponsor alot of local art, jazz nights etc

This would fail amazingly in Australia, so likely no chance.

9. esswhykay

esswhykay Senior Member

Allumette
    Wistful Fistful

10. omgcookielol

omgcookielol Senior Member

As I told you though, things will be a bit different going into the end of summer and I may not be able to accept a custom order.
    `cause you'll be too busy accepting orders for the highly anticipated TOJ shearling jackets, right? [​IMG]

11. wj4

wj4 Distinguished Member

Recap: uncontrol DR = DeTox album. In several hours we should know what piece wins, right? [​IMG]

12. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

Hey Drew, Sorry, I wasn't trying to be rude or disrespectful. I was only posting it because I figured some people would be curious about it ... in retrospect it was a dumb thing to do but, well, hindsight is 20/20 [​IMG] I seem to be inadvertently getting on people's bad sides lately ... I wasn't trying to say, "OMG THIS IS SO HIGH," or to brag, it's obviously a ridiculously good price. I know you're doing it out of the goodness of your heart and really appreciate that. I don't want to make you think that I don't. So, I'm very sorry. If it's do or die, we'll do it, I'll send you the payment the end of next week. In the meantime I'll get my measurements done, so if you have any tips on that please send them along my way. Cool? Sorry again [​IMG]

13. mitchellmcm27

mitchellmcm27 Well-Known Member

14. impolyt_one

Hey Drew,

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be rude or disrespectful. I was only posting it because I figured some people would be curious about it ... in retrospect it was a dumb thing to do but, well, hindsight is 20/20 [​IMG] I seem to be inadvertently getting on people's bad sides lately ... I wasn't trying to say, "OMG THIS IS SO HIGH," or to brag, it's obviously a ridiculously good price.

I know you're doing it out of the goodness of your heart and really appreciate that. I don't want to make you think that I don't. So, I'm very sorry. If it's do or die, we'll do it, I'll send you the payment the end of next week. In the meantime I'll get my measurements done, so if you have any tips on that please send them along my way. Cool?

Sorry again [​IMG]

No hard feelings man. You will understand what I am talking about regarding August and beyond when it comes to be that time, I just can't say anything about it yet myself, because I don't know anything for certain. Regarding clothes and the ability to make them, my personal life, etc. Anyway, no soup nazi, we just gotta make it and not kick tires when it comes to big projects, and, well, I'm not offering anybody else the ability to make a custom project of this scale. [​IMG]

Regarding sizing (this goes out to everybody) - I am making a new sizing guide as we speak, it will have visual aids and some commentary by me, and then some formulaic math that can ensure good fits. I am going to expand on this and make it interactive, similar to the baller sneaker size matrix, but one step at a time. Some math geniuses may want to get at me and help me make it even better. As you know, there are perks for being a researcher at TOJ. [​IMG]

Production news: We've finished a wave of jackets, and are going back through and working on a 2nd wave, we're at about 4 weeks now on DR's, Moto's, Collared Motos, QDRs, BCDR's. Bombers are in progress as usual, and I expect them to be done soon. Shirts that have been ordered previously are finished. Wallets are finished. Some Baseball jackets are finished, but I won't say anymore than that on those today because tomorrow I need to go over with a measuring tape and verify they're good to go, and kinda pick over them to make sure they're good.

Anniversary model, I'll tally up scores tonight and then get to work on stuff. I will keep it a surprise... you like surprises, right? [​IMG]

Anyway, back to work for me.

I think this was the last jacket in the first wave, we put this towards the end because it was a little complex;
    [​IMG]

15. Hot Dog Day #49

Hot Dog Day #49 Senior Member

harrington harrington harrington [​IMG]