• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

BluePlateKing

Reaction score
Can anyone with a Leather MA-1 advise on how they size? I've seen people say size up for the wool suiting version, wanted to check and see if the same applied for the leather?

PDinh

Reaction score
Sorry if I sound rude but why would you size up for a fully MTM leather? (Unless you intentionally wanted a looser fit).

BluePlateKing

Reaction score
Sorry if I sound rude but why would you size up for a fully MTM leather? (Unless you intentionally wanted a looser fit).
Well I'm looking to get these pieces second hand, so they won't be MTM for me. And I was just seeing as I've seen before that the Suiting Wool MA-1 runs very small, for example if you usually take a 48 in ToJ most people recommend taking a 50 or even 52 in the Wool MA-1.

So I wasn't sure if the Leather MA-1 would be true to size or run small.

Last edited:

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The leather MA-1 isn't filled like the suiting wool one, so it should fit true to size. The reason why the suiting wool one fits small is because of the fill that makes it "puffy", so the external measurements should be larger than what you'd normally expect for a (non-down/poly/whatever filled) piece of outerwear.

barrettdudley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally had my first dream about getting my BCDR. It didn't fit very well, but it was still thrilling to open.

amathew

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The leather MA-1 isn't filled like the suiting wool one, so it should fit true to size. The reason why the suiting wool one fits small is because of the fill that makes it "puffy", so the external measurements should be larger than what you'd normally expect for a (non-down/poly/whatever filled) piece of outerwear.

Did most people size up one on the wool MA-1's? I had emailed charlie (?) when I ordered 10 months ago and he suggested going with whatever size one normally wears in jackets.

Last edited:

Tuma

Reaction score
Did mods just remove a post from this thread where someone was claiming "we will never get our jackets" and that's why "sizing up doesn't matter"?

BluePlateKing

Reaction score
(Not 100% but) 2 is calf, 14 is lamb.

Calf:

More rigid.
Glossier appearance.
More structure.
Longer break in period.
Will keep you warmer than the Lamb.

Lamb:

More drapey.
Soft 'buttery' to the touch.
No break in period.

Lamb is definitely more popular, its got an incredible feel and looks great, however calf will definitely last longer and it feels like it can take more of a beating.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

hey guys

just trying to figure out if i like the look of lamb or calf better. could you tell me if the following jackets are made from either lamb or calf?

i apologize for my cluelessness

IMO, questions like this are much better served if the OP just went to a store and handled some lambskin vs. calfskin jackets. Not all are going to be spec'd the same, but you'd have a better idea of the differences in these two leathers by actually touching and wearing something, than by looking at grainy, poorly shot Instagram photos on the internet.

People describing the differences are also only really meaningful after you've handled something. If you haven't, all this is going to be very abstract.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads