1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. FatCatPhil

FatCatPhil Senior member

I've tried contacting Paypal's client services over the phone (from France) and was told that not only had I exceeded the time limit to do anything (she was relatively awed by how much), but also their insurance actually don't cover MTM stuff for no reason. That made me laugh.
    My bank said there were no insurance for stuff purchased but advised on pressing charges. I'm starting to fantasize about a worldwide interpol detail, but that was quickly dismissed by the harsch reality of finding a cop in Paris that speaks English.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  2. Rommel

Rommel Senior member

Same response from Paypal and my bank here in Canada.

Paypal did say they there is protection for MTO/MTM items that was recently added to their policies, however it's only 180 days. They did say they're aware of the situation and have taken a "long, hard look at this individual" but couldn't disclose any more information than that.

Also, funded with my bank account and the bank couldn't do anything because it was outside the dispute time frame which is only 30 days (or might have been 45 days) for debit transactions.

3. Melbush

Melbush Senior member

So there are about 500 orders that will remain unfulfilled, let's say people sent in average 800$, it means his scam is worth 400,000$. And everyone is powerless. That's beyond belief.

4. SuperFamicom

SuperFamicom Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's fucked, and we got fucked and Drew doesn't give a fuck, as has been painfully obvious for about a year now. I've tried everything I reasonably can to recover my lost money and have been denied each time by PayPal and my card company alike. Having zero knowledge of law and legal affairs I feel like I have nothing I can concretely use to get back at this guy and I'm sure a lot of us feel that way.

I'm out money but this will be a stark lesson for me to be more discerning of how and where I spend my cash in the future. It goes without saying that next time I'm overcome with vanity and need to buy some MTM internet nerd bullshit I'll think twice about it.

Still here if something comes up and there's anything I can do to help. I'll be trying at least a few more times in regards to chargebacks and other avenues of pursuing my lost funds.

3 people like this.
  5. Gruff

Gruff Senior member

Not powerless. More like Drew is benefiting from a diffusion of responsibility. Some people are still waiting for their jackets, others are pursuing legal action, others are conducting an awareness campaign (read: Facebook spamming) and a minority just want to kick his ass.

Unfortunately, this makes it hard for 500 people to speak with a collective voice and move ahead with an agreed-upon plan.

6. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Acceptance is the first step.

7. poopoo88

poopoo88 New Member

Firstly, I really hope legal action is still underway -- at this point, it is our only option, IMO. Chargebacks and PayPal disputes have too damn low success rates, and a lot of us were screwed because we funded from our bank accounts. To whoever is/was taking on the legal route, I (and I'm certain many of us) greatly appreciate your efforts. If the rumors about Drew starting a new restaurant are true, then we need to act now. Drew absolutely should not be starting another restaurant, not until he has fulfilled all orders, even if he is trying to earn back the funds required to finish the remainder of the orders. Drew has proven time and time again to have extremely poor judgment and decision-making capabilities. We already made one mistake by trusting him with our money -- let's not make another mistake by waiting passively and hoping for our jackets to come. They won't (at least not at any reasonable rate, especially if he's funding a new restaurant). We need to get our money back ASAP.

We were extremely riled up several months back after Charly revealed the important information, but that energy is pretty much gone now. I really hope we can revive that energy and maybe, just maybe, our collective effort will accomplish something. We should, at least, not be passive, considering that Drew has essentially "stolen" our hard-earned money.

1 person likes this.
  8. althanis

althanis Senior member

Anyone in Korea able to go down there and ask him a few questions? I went through catail's Instagram and it doesn't look like there are pics of him.

9. marvin100

marvin100 Senior member

Maybe--what would I ask if I were to go to Sam's and see him?

1 person likes this.
  10. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Ask him where the money at. Start taking the silverware and tables.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
    5 people like this.
  11. marvin100

marvin100 Senior member

Haha nah. I'm not going to confront the dude (and I'm not personally a victim). I just live in Seoul and am following this stuff a bit out of curiosity.

12. Two Shoes

Two Shoes Senior member

I've said it before- there are options. You may feel powerless but it's partially because everybody is so diffused (as somebody else pointed out) and, frankly, because most people are not comfortable using their own power or even aware of it.

You can contact your bank. You can contact your credit card company. You can contact paypal. You can contact local government and authorities (has anybody even tried to contact the police in Seoul?). You can contact the media. You may hear a lot of "no"s in the beginning but that's ok. Because it's all about momentum. The more times you contact them and the more people that contact them, the more those "no"s will soften. Make noise. Somebody else mentioned that Paypal is aware of the situation but can't disclose more about it. That's progress. They are now aware of it, possibly on a company-wide scale. The number of people and the amount of money involved here is no joke.

Of course, you gotta consider whether it's all worth it to you or not. For me, it wouldn't even be about the money, it would be about making sure Drew doesn't get away with it. Which is why I'm even remotely invested in this, with no other skin in the game.

2 people like this.
  13. SuperFamicom

SuperFamicom Well-Known Member

Filing a report with the police in Seoul might be worth a shot. I don't personally believe much will come of it and there may be a lot of "no"s as you say but it's better than taking the dick laying down like a bitch. Is there anyone in Seoul who is willing to make local authorities there aware of this? I don't speak Korean or I'd just do it myself.

I'll be speaking to PayPal again later on today but I'm not banking on it being any different than before.

14. MickeyPunch

MickeyPunch Senior member

OK I'm tired of this. Legal stuff can be more complicated but why don't we go ahead and ask the journalist to publish the story. At this point I've lost all hope so I don't care anymore what Drew thinks of that or any "nuclear option".

1 person likes this.
  15. Gruff

Gruff Senior member

English is a global language. I'm pretty sure you could find a South Korean cop you could speak with.

16. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Senior member

Just as an aside, no they won't have sent an email company-wide to look out for Drew, it'll just be something on his record in their CRM tool.

17. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

You are seriously overestimate English usage in Asia. Most Korean rank-and-file cops (and yes, this is who you'll deal with for a scam of this scale in Korea) will not even be able to hold a conversation using elementary school level English. Your best bet is to find someone bilingual to act as a translator. Again though, logistically, it will be very difficult to get anything moving unless you actually have a physical presence in Korea.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  18. Gruff

Gruff Senior member

Well, true. I was just thinking back to time spent in Taiwan, where it seemed like most people spoke English, albeit at wildly varying levels of proficiency. I defer to your experience with Korea, though.

19. VitaTimH

VitaTimH Senior member

Where were you? Taiwan's not particularly English-literate especially when compared to Shanghai or Tokyo. People in high-ranking local high schools tend to be fairly competent, but that's true for most Asian countries.

20. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

It is very unlikely that anyone who went to a good high school or an international school will be working as a police officer in Korea. Unless they're doing it as part of their military service.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015