1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Bertdinner2

Bertdinner2 Senior member

thanks man that makes me feel better...it's just funny bc I'm 6'4" and I wear 32 waist jeans and the length on the jacket is perfect it's just tight on my waist and a little constricting with arm movement. I feel like whoever had it made must've been suuuuper lanky lol cause I know I already am lanky. On the plus side I can tell it hasn't been worn much to break it in so I'm thinking it will soften up and stretch a decent bit

2. Bertdinner2

Bertdinner2 Senior member

And the leather of the jacket is very thick. This thing can literally stand up on its own

1 person likes this.
  3. fishtacologin

fishtacologin Senior member

I picked up my TOJ0 from the post office today. Received no notification or tracking. Some veininess on the arms as others have experienced. Just waiting on a Suiting Wool MA-1 now.

1 person likes this.
  4. dsmoove

dsmoove Senior member

whend you order?

5. Roscius

Roscius Senior member

What was your "classification" on the spreadsheet?

6. masshi

masshi Senior member

can you comment on the condition you received it in, e.g. was it folded neatly, was it wrapped in something, was it linty, etc.?

1 person likes this.
  7. fishtacologin

Sure. The jacket was just put in the box -- no wrapping, tote bag, or form of padding. Seemed to be fairly clean and in good condition though. Just lightly folded (arms across the chest, etc)

1 person likes this.
  8. fishtacologin

Status was "order queue with TOJ0's"

9. fishtacologin

Purchased a spot from July 2013

10. fishtacologin

Has anyone on the spreadsheet gotten a Suiting Wool MA-1 yet? Jw if those are going out too.

11. hoodog

hoodog Senior member

After eyeing through the TOJ gallery I have a couple of questions, strictly out of curiosity, for you TOJ veterans.

1. What would you say has been the most popular TOJ design? Judging from the number of photos in the gallery, its should be either the MDR och 2010 DR. Any ideas why these styles have become so popular?

2. It seems as though many (a majority?) of people in the TOJ gallery pics are Asian (or look Asian at least). Any idea why this is so? Is this only a coincidence, or is TOJ for some reason more popular in Asian countries? Any other reason?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  12. ipractice

ipractice Senior member

I would say the MDR was the most popular model in terms of leathers. But the TOJ varsity was the one that started it all, and the one with the most re-iterations due to popular demand (lots of pictures of the varsity across different models). In terms of why, all of the TOJ patterns are just modernization of classics so you can explain a large part of the appeal right there. The varsity is easy to answer because it's easy to wear and flexible in styling. At the time, varsities were growing in popularity circa 2008 and Drew rode that wave and created a slim profiled varsity of high quality which was difficult to find. For the MDR, I think it has always been popular for the fact that its a design that invokes a particular image of punk. In the leathers, Drew really took advantage of the enthusiast that can be found on these forums, ie huge interest in quality and was able to sell the a modern MDR pattern combined with materials that his audience would hype over (zipper arguments... leather sourcing, blah blah blah). Realistically though, I think its the least flattering model for most body types and is difficult to pull off properly unless you are tall + skinny, but people naturally gravitated towards it because they saw others post good fit picks in the TOJ threads. A lot of the popular models are based off hype generated in the forum threads.

Why is most of the customer base asian? TOJ started on Sufu/styleforum, which has a large Asian user base. It also depended heavily on a word of mouth business model and did not have any advertising. Forums with lots of asians buying TOJ telling other asians to buy TOJ.

In the end its really quite sad. One of the huge draws to TOJ was hearing the stories that Drew had to tell of the process of creating high quality jackets. When Drew started to slow down in telling stories, personally I lost a lot of interest in TOJ. I was investing in more than good design and high quality materials but more into a business philosophy and being part of a experience that was wildly different than your typical luxury shopping experience.

Oh, and sorry for the long winded answer. I'm a little drunk.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
    7 people like this.
  13. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Senior member

Anyone looking for a toj alternative for a whiskey collared moto:

[​IMG]

The Taylor Stitch Golden Bear joint looks p good.

14. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  15. Peter1

Peter1 Senior member

re the Golden Bear coat. I do indeed have a whisky CM in the queue from ToJ, but I will say that I have owned a Golden Bear jacket (in lamb, however) and was not happy with the leather quality -- dye faded oddly and the leather tore easily. YMMV of course, but that experience put me off GB.

16. sleepless

sleepless Senior member

Ya know, I never actually noticed the Falcon Punch was in the shape of a falcon.. childhood secrets. Seems obvious now..

17. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Moderator

We are actually working on a good calf leather that matches the ToJ whiskey color, which I thought was cool as well. It's going to be a bit darker, a little richer, like the jacket might look like after some product has been worked into it, but that was one color that I really liked. I expect that Charly has cool shit in the works as well, like the horse, which is not something I'm looking at immediately.

18. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

It was so OP in the original smash. Came out so fast that you really didn't have time to notice the shape. :slayer:

19. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Moderator

I feel so fucking old...

1 person likes this.
  20. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Maybe you should change your screen name to "Wraith of Cane".