1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. c00kz

c00kz Senior member

Two different users

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  2. James Hyams

James Hyams Active Member

Hi Mel, check your private messages. I am currently in the process of determining if Paypal are liable. It looks awful for them if they have failed to protect more than 200 customers paying in excess of $250,000 to one business person who closed his business. It raises questions: at what level are Paypal responsible?

3. Heymanniceshot

Heymanniceshot Senior member

F#@k it

203 aza ($380.00)
    204 whiskey ($780.00)
    205 .mavErick ($780.00)
    206 thundercloud ($380.00)
    207 axroox ($380)
    208 Heymanniceshot ($780.00)

4. HeavenResign

HeavenResign Senior member

Like two people using the same account? Isn't that against the tos of sf?

5. James Hyams

It has now been confirmed that Drew Keith no longer has anything to do with The Libertine. The Korea Observer visited the restaurant on a few occasions and spoke directly with an owner. The Libertine are unable to deliver a letter we wrote for Drew and he is not currently contactable [copied below].

We've also been in contact with Paypal seeking answers around why they've rejected Paypal claims and whether they need to amend their system given that Drew and other custom made products take more than 180 days to arrive. We are also questioning Paypal's legal liability given their customers are out of pocket $200,000 due to them releasing funds and not allowing disputes either 45 days or 180 days (depending upon when you made the order) after the initial payment. If there is no legal onus to ensure a customer has received the purchased goods prior to releasing funds then their business model for custom made products is flawed. TOJ is a solid example of that.

Please circulate this letter so we can give Drew every opportunity to reply before we take this further:

June 10, 2015
    RE: Temple of Jawnz business operations
    Hand delivered to The Libertine Restaurant

To Drew Keith,

The Korea Observer is following up on the claims of nearly 200 Temple of Jawnz customers.

These customers allege they purchased products costing $800 - $1,200 or more between 2013 and 2014, which have not arrived.

A search of various business registries reveals that you are the sole owner of Temple of Jawnz, registered in Japan and also trading as TOJ Clothing.

More than 190 customers allege they have waited 70+ weeks for purchases to be sewn and sent and there has been inadequate communication from the company.

You have ignored their repeated attempts to contact them and have, instead, tried to communicate occasionally via Style Forum when the group of disgruntled customers threaten action or call for a manhunt.

Most of this group is angry that you seemingly live a lavish lifestyle and accuse you of using money taken from TOJ orders in 2013 and 2014 to invest in The Libertine restaurant instead of fulfilling their orders.

We have customer testimonials demonstrating that TOJ Clothing owe the group more than $200,000 worth of stock.

Also, Moon Leather firstly said that they made all the jackets ordered by you (for your customers) but later denied having ever had anything to do with you, Temple of Jawnz, or TOJ Clothing.

Your former staff Charly and Dan also allege they are owed 12 months of wages.

On top of this, customers state that you sent jackets as “gifts” to prevent paying duty tax and that you failed to declare your income in the U.S presuming that you have U.S citizenship/residency.

In addition, there is now an unconfirmed rumour that your first run of jackets allegedly made in 2008 in the U.S were “off the rack” but sold as “custom tailored.”

I implore you to take these allegations seriously and make contact with The Korea Observer urgently so we can find out your side of the story.

We are aware of your hearing impairment and would be happy to commence email exchanges followed by a meeting in person to determine how you would like to proceed.

Kind regards,

James Hyams Tae-hoon Lee
    Deputy Editor Editor and publisher
    The Korea Observer | Newspaper Registration Number: Seoul A-02790 (서울, 아02790) | Business Registration Number: 117-81-83443 | Address: 5F A531, Yongsan Plus Center, 25, Wonhyoro 1-ga, Yongsan-gu, Seoul, 140-846, South Korea. | Tel: 82-2-2698-4851 | Fax:82-70-4880-3016 | Publisher: Lee Tae-hoon | Email:editor@koreaobserver.com

12 people like this.
  6. murphykobe

murphykobe Member

Done

203 aza ($380.00)
    204 whiskey ($780.00)
    205 .mavErick ($780.00)
    206 thundercloud ($380.00)
    207 axroox ($380)
    208 Heymanniceshot ($780.00)
    209 murphykobe ($450.00)

7. benjamin831

benjamin831 Senior member

There's got to be far more than 200 or so missing orders. TOJ was huge in SuFu and MFA as well, I'm sure there are users there who ordered too during the closing months.

8. BrandoW

BrandoW Member

Your intentions are good and this appears to be an action that will benefit many. However, your allegations regarding Paypal seem financially naive. Perhaps their are Korean laws you are aware of that Paypal has not complied with? In the United States, credit cards generally have no obligation to act as effective guarantors of the merchant's obligations. It might be nice if they did but they do not.

1 person likes this.
  9. Lolawolf

Lolawolf Well-Known Member

Hey James, just a FYI that in deaf communities the proper nomenclature is "hard of hearing". "Hearing impairment" is not quite seen as politically correct.

I don't care at all and I doubt many people will, just trying to cover your bases.

1 person likes this.
  10. Spaghettimatt

Spaghettimatt Senior member

Some of those allegations are really specious.

1 person likes this.
  11. James Hyams

If Bitcoins can be withheld by a third party until proof of transaction is declared by both parties then surely Paypal can provide a niche service that does the same for custom made goods. Paypal are the intermediary and I am trying to put pressure on them to decide whether the negative publicity is worth $200K.

3 people like this.
  12. James Hyams

In the absence of Drew stating otherwise then we have no choice but to follow up with the claims made by people on this forum and those who have emailed us. I have stated they are allegations when we are yet to confirm fact.

13. Spaghettimatt

What the fuck?

1 person likes this.
  14. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Also, the bags that are undelivered are under $800.
    Also just for the sake of accuracy.

15. BrandoW

BrandoW Member

You sound like an extortionist and your comparison of Bitcoin to credit cards makes little sense. I commend you on your letter and actions to pressure Drew.

1 person likes this.
  16. Spaghettimatt

That's fine. But there isn't really a basis for Drew dodging US income taxes. And I do not know where this 2008 "custom tailored" thing came from and how it's relevant to the issue... ?

Anyways, I appreciate you taking the steps to reach out to Drew.

17. SloppyJoes

SloppyJoes Senior member

here's the basis:

18. Spaghettimatt

Right okay. Where is that off the rack claim coming from?

19. SloppyJoes

SloppyJoes Senior member

I don't know. I'm assuming someone emailed the editors privately and claimed that. Just pointing out how it could be relevant although I agree that it's kind of a minor issue considering the other stuff.

anyways, i'll shut up now. don't want this to get too side tracked.

20. ninopwns

ninopwns Senior member

I'm definitely not trying to start up a rumor, because I don't know how true it holds, but I've heard that way before TOJ happened Drew scammed people on Sufu