1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  2. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Ex employee, he doesn't work for drew any longer.

2 people like this.
  3. Spaghettimatt

Spaghettimatt Senior member

Not sure if joking? He isn't with ToJ anymore.

Whether or not he can be fully convinced to be a spy though....

4. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  5. Nik Telford

Nik Telford Senior member

Since he has public declared he is no longer involved with ToJ wouldn't sending the mass email essentially be fraud?

6. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

If this wasn't sarcasm you're a dumbass

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  7. chupas

chupas Senior member

Why does this thread turn into Dustin Hoffman in Rain Man any time someone cracks a joke?

8. masshi

masshi Senior member

lol, late, i know, but i can't believe that people in the vanson thread already have jackets (i remember seeing that thread and browsing it occasionally back when it was first started)

tbh, i prefer the way drew's dr (2013) looks, but i'm not confident in my having measured myself properly, and who knows how long it'll be until i finally get to try it on and see for myself whether i did or not

9. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

No.

10. Spaghettimatt

+1

Vanson DR is more comparable to MDR, though.

11. XVOS

XVOS Active Member

I'm only a law student and by no means an expert in commercial law (my area of expertise is in corporate and IP litigation) but by my understanding of American law (note SK law may differ) the Restaurant is effectively a money-laundering operation since he has invested the proceeds from illegal activity (stolen goods aka the jackets we've ordered) into it. Thus it is likely a vehicle by which we could recoup our losses from, through a lawsuit against the restaurant. I'd feel bad shutting down the business of the other people who are just involved with a scumbag, but if they are worried about pending action perhaps they would pressure him to fix the problem. With the amount of money we have all put into these jackets perhaps if we all chipped in a bit more we could hire an SK attorney (or one might do it for a portion of our $800s') to pursue an action against the restaurant to recoup our money. Just a thought.

12. flipster

flipster Senior member

I would be happy to support an initiative like this - even if it would mean putting some cash in towards legal action. I consider the USD 800 already as sunk anyways, but I do not want to let Drew get away with this that easy.

13. LaymanX

LaymanX Senior member

Having examined both a secondhand TOJ calf MDR in person and received a Vanson Daredevil fit jacket to play around with, here are my thoughts. The TOJ is okay quality and has a refinement to its design but the Vanson is head and shoulders better than the TOJ in construction quality and even leather quality (ie. Very consistent rich leather with no excessive graininess, dry spots or thin patches). If the designs of both jackets appeal to you, I would recommend the Daredevil.

14. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

What the hell is excessive graininess? I had multiple TOJ jackets and they didn't have dry spots or thin patches. What do you even know about construction quality? What the hell does that even mean

1 person likes this.
  15. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

I've been trying to provide some insight and possible options in a legal framework although I'm not sure anyone has really given my comments much thought. @XVOS I'd say you're kinda right, but the restaurant isn't a money laundering operation per se as a result of the funding. Drew was unjustly enriched and under a tracing analysis those funds could be recouped in seeking remedy, but at the same time almost any reasonable businessman would have limited liability with respect to the restaurant as a result of some corporate structure (e.g. LLC). It's a pretty simple breach of contract by which there are various remedies available depending. That he invested some of those funds into the restaurant is a consideration, but not the only factor. What I really wonder was whether there was an original partnership agreement (there almost certainly must be) between Drew, Dan and Charly and what its terms were… now that would be enlightening.

16. Spaghettimatt

I figured as much. If I (ever) get my money back, I'm all over it.

Don't really care whether I get a chargeback or I get my jacket. At this point I primarily care about being out of this situation as quickly as possible.

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  17. XVOS

XVOS Active Member

I misspoke I guess. I wouldn't say that the restaurant is per say a money laundering operation but rather we could argue Drew is using it to invest I'll gotten gains so we can't recoup them. The thing I would like to see though is his accounting because from what I can gather it is either extremely shady or non-existent and almost certainly to an illegal degree given the amount of money he is handling. But anyhow, because he has stashed this money in the restaurant doesn't mean we can't recoup from there despite any agreements. He can't just declare TOJ bankrupt after removing all the profits to the restaurant to avoid us getting money we deserve is my point.

1 person likes this.
  18. LaymanX

LaymanX Senior member

Sorry meant veininess instead of graininess. My bad

19. rbnman

rbnman Senior member

Are you sure it wasn't a lamb mdr you are comparing to? The TOJ calf shouldn't have veins.

20. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

There is no legal impetus to hold any revenue in escrow. A lot of companies go bankrupt because their expenses exceed their revenue, on a consistent basis. And when they do, yes, there are often customers and other creditors who are SOL. The bank gets paid first, and then everyone else.

An employee of the company, including corporate officers, are not held personally liable for the business. If there is criminal malfeaseance, that is something else altogether. But what an individual employee does with the money paid to them in salary is their personal business. For example, say that I worked at Corporation XYZ, and I am paid $300K/a in salary a year. What I do with that $300K is my own business. I can use that money buy a car, groceries, pay my mortgage, whatever. The company could owe billions of dollars, but the individual employee has zero liability for the companies debts. An owner of a business is often also a salaried employee of that company. That salary is a legitimate expense. A distribution of profits between shareholders is something else.

1 person likes this.