1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. KuDeTa

KuDeTa Active Member

I think we are, as far as i can read there is nothing precluding the option; it would be easier by far if a S.korean citizen made the initial claim and we appended ourselves to it. This is really a nuclear option anyway and a whole bunch of work. Lets get a letter sorted.

2. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Claim to what? No one is doing shit! Once again....REAL TALK!
    There are some people who don't want to initiate chargebacks from in front of their computer? You think that a SK citizen is going to go through the legal process and then SF members who are still waiting for their jackets are going to join the "claim?'

I call total BS!

3. janoy89

janoy89 Senior member

Real talk. No one gives a shit.

4. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

FTFY

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  5. FatCatPhil

FatCatPhil Senior member

PLEASE upload the template for this somewhere!

6. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

Having sent my share of these types of letters in the business world, protecting trademarks, demanding payments, contract enforcement, etc... they carry ZERO weight if they come from an individual or group of individuals. It MUST be sent by a local attorney and MUST state exactly what the next step in the process will be if he doesn't comply with stated demands. Otherwise, it carries the same weight as this thread, and will immediately be thrown away. Thus, whatever the next step is, including filing a claim in small claims court, must be a step that someone is willing to take. What you really need is a pissed off South Korean attorney who didn't get his jacket. However, let's say this individual files a claim. If I am Drew, I simply show up and hand him the jacket. Case closed. No small claims court is going to allow you to group in a class action. They would have to be individual actions. Drew is safe right where he is, short of this group deciding to make his life miserable using its vast IT skills.

7. Raindrop

Raindrop Senior member

The lack of communication is puzzling. Production is so slow he has nothing else to say.

8. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

:worship:

9. SloppyJoes

SloppyJoes Senior member

10. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

What is the point of trying to contact Drew? Do you think he's oblivious to all of your concerns or something? Dude doesn't give a shit.

6 people like this.
  11. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

I don't know anything about South Korean law, but the amount that Drew took in orders is way beyond the scope of any kind of small claims court. In the US, this would just be a class action lawsuit filed by a lawyer, who would then take a nice chunk of whatever amount is awarded.

12. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

I'm going to steal all the toilet paper and paper towels out of Libertine's bathroom. I'll also clog all the toilets before I go out. Drew will rue the day he crossed styleforum

6 people like this.
  13. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

As a group it's beyond the scope of a small claims court, and this group has no chance to put together a class action, especially since Drew is still trickling out jackets. A judge would look at it, say ok, "give me a final schedule" and then he'd hold him to that under threat of financial penalty. It would never get beyond an attorney conference. NO attorney would take it on a contingency basis, as there's not enough of an upside. Think more of a 10K retainer to get it off the ground. It's just not feasible. If this was in the U.S., each individual who was close to Drew could file a small claim, but those not close to him would also be out of luck, as small claims judges typically are not going to subpoena someone from out of state. Thus, as I noted, there really is NO practical legal recourse, and as such, no use sending a letter.

My point of an individual in South Korea filing a claim was as more of an irritation to Drew, but as I pointed out, Drew could quickly make that particular jacket and then that's out of the way. If I was someone who was out a jacket, I would make numerous postings about the restaurant, not knocking the place itself, but keeping them factual, and saying things like "isn't this owned by the same person who abandoned his clothing business?" I would also put up some blog posts about the problem. Enough people do that and the first page of google starts looking pretty bad for Drew and Libertine. However, I frankly expect that those waiting on jackets will not take the time to do any of this, and will continue to wait him out.

2 people like this.
  14. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

And frankly, this probably couldn't be a class action in the US either, as the group cannot be defined as it changes every time a jacket arrives.

15. dieworkwear

I've thought about that, but

1. IMO, that should really be used as a last resort. Once something gets posted on Tumblr, for example, it can't be taken back. Especially if it gets reblogged or picked up by some other website.

2. Once something like that goes up, you've really lowered Drew's incentive to push any more jackets out.

In other words, putting stuff up on blogs is kind of an end-game move. I don't think people should air this too publicly until the end of this year. At the moment, jackets are still being shipped, albeit slowly.

16. SloppyJoes

SloppyJoes Senior member

[​IMG]

29 people like this.
  17. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

I don't disagree... Drew has played his hand and there is no bluff left. It's either wait him out or scorched earth, try to ruin his ability to do this ever again, but kiss your jacket goodbye.

18. Spaghettimatt

Spaghettimatt Senior member

Was your most recent post about Salvatore Ambrosi inspired by the ToJ issue?

19. dieworkwear

No, it was inspired by me buying some pants from Salvatore.

20. virid

virid Member

Lets put together some funds to send Distorb to South Korean law school and start the process of filing a claim against ToJ.

It's a pretty safe bet that Distorb could learn Korean and graduate before all the jackets are shipped.

9 people like this.