1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

A long time ago. I am 40 years old now, and it's been over 12 years. I have a better record than I deserve because I did this at a time when the sport was just not as competitive. I've trained a bit, and done some additional BJJ training since then, but nothing serious. These days, at the lower amateur ranks, it's probably actually an easier sport, since a lot of guys will fight once "just to do it", which didn't happen before, but it seems that the ranks peter out much faster, and the guys who fight at even the higher amateur ranks are really athletic, with a much better knowledge and training. Put it this way, in 2015, you'll find BJJ brown belts in the smallest towns. Back in the early 2000s, black belts were much fewer, and they were all concentrated in places like LA (where I was). Now, it's all over the place, and with a bigger base of people training, you are naturally going to get a larger cohort of really talented, dedicated, athletic, guys.

Of course, as with all things that get popular, there are a lot more mickey mouse outfits. And because BJJ guys like money just as much as the next guy, there are a lot more "executive" BJJ and MMA classes, where yuppies can go and get into shape and feel good about themselves without ever really having to go full force.

Boxing is a little ridiculous, but 15-20 lbs between weight classes is a lot. Combat sports have always had people moving between weight divisions, but moving down 20 lbs (from 205 to 185, for example), or even 35 lbs in one exceptional case (Anthony Johnson) is just nuts.

2. notwithit

notwithit Well-Known Member

IRA regulations are such that if you miss weight - either the boat average is > 155 or any one person is > 160 - you forfeit and hand the guys in the other boat your shirts. Most guys are disciplined and / or paranoid enough that I never saw this happen, so I don't know whether there would still be a shame race the next day (no matter who finishes first, the boat that missed weight loses).

Interesting take on fighting in hockey. FWIW, I think olympic-sized rinks would also be an improvement. More real estate on the ice --> incrementally less checking against the boards.

3. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Well-Known Member

No idea what albolene is.

I don't compete in bodybuilding so I'm not sure. I compete in powerlifting.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  4. cellardoors

cellardoors Well-Known Member

But will you settle for a horrible, off-topic discussion about power lifting and losing weight? Otherwise you might piss off the guy you paid $$ to, and he just won't send your jacket to you.

1 person likes this.
  5. BluePlateKing

BluePlateKing Well-Known Member

Yes because the tone of this thread was fantastic up until the power lifting.

2 people like this.
  6. mrchariybrown

Drew is the person that money was sent to. So, surely you must be speaking about him. I doubt he is pissed out about it. I don't send jackets nor get money sent to me, so you must surely be talking about someone else.

7. nahneun

nahneun Well-Known Member

HOW ARE YOU PEOPLE SO FUCKING STUPID? HOW?!?!?!?!

16 people like this.
  8. mrchariybrown

I don't even know.

Some people inquire. I answer questions. Others start to debate on a slight tangent.

Most people see it and if they don't care, they just move on and it doesn't affect their day or psyche in the least bit.

But then there are a select few, like cellardoors, that is losing their mind over it - resulting in anal contusions, aka getting butthurt.

Once again.. I don't even know man. I don't even know lol

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
    12 people like this.
  9. wangjt

wangjt Well-Known Member

I can feel Charly's pain of making weight. So I'm changing my avatar picture to broccoli to offset his picture of a t-bone steak.

10. cutemelon

cutemelon Well-Known Member

so what kind of foods do you eat while you're on this cut? i mean i'm on a cut right now, but for a couple months. But you have a lot less time, is it just mostly waterweight?

11. mrchariybrown

Thanks. I hate broccoli and it makes me want to vomit. But it's funny, so that makes up for it.

It's not a diet I would recommend except only to drop weight for weigh ins. Yep, it's mostly water weight.

12. cutemelon

just curious what u actually eat. don't worry im not gonna do it. i have enough trouble on my current one

13. mrchariybrown

No carbs, no salt. And a little magic.

14. c00kz

c00kz Well-Known Member

NZ lamb

Dun dun dun

15. cutemelon

now i know why there are production issues. Charly lives off eating leather. So all of our TOJ money went to feed him. I hope this ends all the theories about toj money going to libertine, Drews expensive drug habit, M3 Purchases.

16. ambyance

ambyance Well-Known Member

17. PawnchYoFace

PawnchYoFace Well-Known Member

drink gallons of water till u puke until the 2 days prior to comp, where u piss like a horse and dehydrate yourself into charly-jerky

18. mrchariybrown

Already know all the water loading tricks. I already get 2+ gallons everyday regardless of weigh ins, so that part is easy.

19. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Not to speak for Charly, but the diet and cardio stuff (for MMA) all comes weeks to months before the competition. Closing in on a competition, it's nearly all about water weight. For a few days, you drink close to nothing (after the water purge). Definitely zero salt. Then it's the sauna and epsom salt baths. Then it's running in a sweating suit to get everything thing out. Rinse and repeat. More sauna. More sweating. I would highly recommend against anyone trying this without proper supervision. Those last few lbs re grueling. The bigger guys in the weight categories really suffer.

On the other hand, I was watching low level MMA yesterday, and in the LHW division (205), there were guys who had actual fat on them. Not like, a little bit. I looked like theig weight but was to skip the fries a few times on McDonald's runs. One of the dudes was 5'8" and 206. He looked to be about my natural build. Maybe a bit bigger, but also shorter and with a visible gut. He got beat by a 6', 204 lbs guy who looked pretty soft. I mean, I feel that I have his bf%, and I haven't competed in a long ass time. It was sorta an embarassing fight. The slightly more fit, but clearly more skilled guy charged the short squat dude, powerslammed him, easily mounted him, and just punched him in the head until the ref stopped the fight. The 5'8" guy didn't put up any resistance, either to the takedown, or afterwards. I dunno where he trains out of, but in not way should he have been allowed in the cage. Dudes like that just get handled and can get hurt. It's just not worth it.

20. Potsnu

Potsnu Well-Known Member

Charly, what about sauteed Spinach? Kale Chips is a good alternative as well.

On a different note, I'm still guessing no update on my completed Olive Green BCDR? It's been "completed" 5 months ago....sigh