1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

You do know what the MA1 is right...

1 person likes this.
  2. cellardoors

cellardoors Senior member

What is it?

3. nkwu

nkwu Well-Known Member

most people refer to the suiting wool MA-1 when discussing it.

There is the charly special leather MA-1 though.

4. cellardoors

cellardoors Senior member

Whether wool or leather, down would be a terrible choice. First of all it is very expensive, especially for the good stuff, and I doubt that Charles or Draw would know how to source/properly handle it as it is a specialized material different from the rest. Second down needs - it must - be able to stretch and get "air" in it, hence down jackets are puffy, the key to its warmth is how much warm air it handles. Putting down in a leather jacket which fits tightly and would permanently compress the air would be a really dumb idea; putting down under wool might be slightly better but the heaviness of the wool would instantly fuck up the down. Add to that that down loses all heating properties when wet and you see why it would be a bad choice.

1 person likes this.
  5. masshi

masshi Senior member

So where do you guys think an A-2 and varsity's front length "should" end if you wear jeans high and fitted on the butt?

6. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

Damn, how much weight do you drop, and is it all water? Is the weigh-in the day before or the day of the competition?

I ask because it doesn't have to be quite this bad, at least if you're dropping < 10 lbs and weighing in the day before competition. If you cut down on fiber and salt starting a couple days out from your weigh-in and then super-hydrate the day before (stopping sometime before you go to bed), your body will start flushing and then keep flushing even though you're not drinking any more.

The caveats are that there's a mild risk of low-grade hyponatremia and that I've never done it or seen it done with > 10 lbs.

A couple of guys on my team (lightweight rowing) and I would do this before races, and we'd be the only ones in our respective boats who were low enough to eat and drink a little on weigh-in day, maybe take a pound from someone who was struggling. We were also incrementally less irritable, at least compared to guys who were doing sweat runs / ergs and spitting into cups.

Everyone was still irritable as hell, though, especially on the way to an away race. It was like everyone on the bus was PMS-ing at the same time.

You got me. :fu:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  7. mrchariybrown

mrchariybrown Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I'm only dropping 15 pounds this time around, so it's not all that bad. I start my weight cut 7-9 days out from weigh ins, so pretty much 95% of it's water. 24 hour weigh in.

235 -> weigh in at 220 -> hopefully 240+ next day.

I've done plenty of weight cuts - one of them was 26 pounds, so I know all the advanced tricks ;)

8. brokeassp

brokeassp Senior member

Still no jacket and wallet

9. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

Jeebus, that's some next-level shit. I can't imagine dropping that amount of weight.

10. sleepless

sleepless Senior member

Seriously. Fuck you guys. Harass the only point of contact, yes that's a genius idea you fucking morons.

2 people like this.
  11. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

Petition to @LA Guy to close this thread and any further threads complaining about TOJ operations to mindfuck with @misterswag and for @mrchariybrown to delete the TOJ email account to piss off everyone who whines every 5 seconds about everything.

5 people like this.
  12. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I used to drop up to 20 lbs. When you met me in NYC, I was/am a full 15 lbs heavier than I was in my 20s (I like to think some of it is muscle mass, but I mean, c'mon, that's mostly a lie.) That meant a cut from 165 or so down to 145 lbs, or, depending on the venue, agreed upon things, 155 lbs. 155 was never that bad, considering that at some point in my late 20s, when I was doing a ton of cardio (erg + running + weights every day), I went as low as a walking around 152 lbs. That is actually too low for my frame, but it just shows that I could sustain it. 145 lbs is a stretch.

A of guys (MMA) cut upwards of 30 lbs these days. I know one UFC lightweight fights at 155 lbs, and cuts down from 194, because a good friend of mine used to train with him. Sometimes, the weight cuts can be deleterious to performance because they are too extreme. Anthony "Rumble" Johnson, who will be fighting for the 205 title, is a huge, 6'2" man. He used to cut to 170 lbs, and missed weight regularly, which is hardly surprisng, given that he cuts to get to 205, and the dude looks like he must walk around about 220-230 lbs, easy.

Cutting weight, imo, is one of the worst things in sports, in that it has negative effects on your health, and serves a completely articifical purpose. With rare exceptions, no one is competing near their walking around weight, unless people have really hollow bones. It really is al abuse of your body, which was not built to be completely dehydrated on purpose - epsom salts, saunas, sweat suits and cardio to get all possible sweat out. It's absolute insanity.

3 people like this.
  13. MauriSSio

MauriSSio Senior member

they should do weigh ins the day before competitions and the day of and require it to be a certain percentage (1% sounds ok to me) to avoid all these shenanigans.

14. LA Guy

In pro boxing, they require a graduated weight cut, and check the fighters at . Weigh ins are always a day before competition. After the weigh in, everyone eats and hydrates like crazy, and I think that most people walk into a fight 10+ lbs heavier than their weigh in weight. If they really wanted to avoid shenanigans, they would do weigh-ins immediately before a competition. There is no way 95% of those dudes could fight at anywhere near capacity immediately after a 20 lb cut. However, people would try it anyway, and people would get hurt.

There is no way of preventing people from trying to get the best advantage possible. That's just the nature of competition. You change the rules, and the game will change, but people will just figure out how to play the new game.

15. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

What's even the point of weight classes if people are just doing tricks to circumvent them

1 person likes this.
  16. LA Guy

Because I will always be smaller than Cain Velasquez (I hope. Either that, or I will need serious help and a fitness/diet coach.)

17. mrchariybrown

It's another aspect of the sport. Cutting weight does not always leave you at an advantage. It's a skill that you need to hone and it's also mentally challenging. If you want to be the best, you'll do whatever it takes. It's also like diet and lifestyle. It doesn't have to do directly with your sport but if you perfect those to be the most supportive to your sporting endeavors, it gives you the edge.

At an amateur level, who cares. It doesn't really matter all that much to cut weight.

But if you want to be the best, you will. Cutting weight is not healthy. No one is saying it is. Neither is competing at a high level in almost any sport.

3 people like this.
  18. MauriSSio

MauriSSio Senior member

i still say they should change the rules to the day of.at the very least it would make the weight classes more accurate.

19. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

It would also mean a lot more people trying to compete while still dehydrated, which would probably be worse

2 people like this.
  20. mrchariybrown

It's been a part of the sport for a very long time and shows a lot of dedication to the sport.. but okay, let's change it because you would like it.

So what form of combat sport do you compete in?