1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. cellardoors

cellardoors Senior member

Thread delivers [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

:crackup:

3. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

It's coming.....
    Just like Christmas!

4. NonChalant321

NonChalant321 Senior member

Have people started to receive small zip wallets? I ordered in mid-April.

5. brokeassp

brokeassp Senior member

6. cellardoors

Question I understand about the jackets (kind of) but why order a wallet from them when there are thousands of good, reputable and nonshady wallet makers in the US (on Etsy, online, etc) that will make anything you could possibly want? Don't understand the brand love here-

7. Death24xASecond

Death24xASecond Senior member

Honestly? Fanboyism. IMO the wallets looked completely ordinary (and I'm a bifold-type wallet person so they were even less attractive).

8. NonChalant321

NonChalant321 Senior member

TBH, at the time I was sort of new to wallets in terms of style. I didn't check on Etsy or other sites. I saw the TOJ small zip and liked it. Read great feedback on it and decided to cop. Of the wallets I have, I currently only use an old J.Crew magic wallet (when it was still made in England). So, I'm probably not that refined in wallet knowledge.

Only later did I see that other designers had similar designs. That said, at the time I had no reason to doubt TOJ. I've ordered several pieces from them over the past few years and never had reason to think they were anything but good, reputable and nonshady. As for TOJ brand love - well, I suppose if it's a brand that's under the radar that produces a product you like a lot...there's some inevitable brand love. My TOJ jackets have probably gotten far more compliments than any other clothing I own, from all walks of life.

Plus, I've met Drew and Daniel and was happy to support them through this fundraiser and look forward to a nice wallet in the process.

I'm guessing you never got anything from them in the past. If you did during the years when their service was more prompt, you'd probably understand better.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  9. ipractice

ipractice Senior member

lol honestly what are you guys even doing on these forums, you guys must be lost.

i dont know how you expect to walk in to a forum thats specifically for luxe fashion goods and tell people how to value their purchases. my grandma would laugh at you and say "not wurf" for buying a $750 MTM leather jacket when she picks hers up from macys. it could be made from premium kobe lamb skin and be sprinkled with diamonds and she wouldn't give a shit for that amount. Did you guys even order jackets from toj or just here to shit on it?

10. Death24xASecond

Death24xASecond Senior member

lol honestly why don't you try reading--you seem a bit inept at it.

You do realize the thread's a continuing conversation, right? And that jumping in at the end probably means you have no clue what happened over the last X pages? So, FYI, yes, I do have a jacket order pending. Also FYI, I was quite interested in and appreciative of what I saw of TOJ circa mid/late-'13, which is what led me to place an order, even though leather jackets are definitely not my thing. Further FYI, the ensuing TOJ fiasco has changed my mind both about TOJ and small-business/MTM business in interesting ways.

Oh and finally FYI, "luxe fashion goods" doesn't obviate considerations of value. TOJ is (or perhaps was) fantastic value for their jackets, but their wallets aren't. Nor can they even be called "luxe" by any stretch of the imagination.

1 person likes this.
  11. ipractice

ipractice Senior member

there you go again, clearly not reading anything i said.

12. cellardoors

LOL back at you, son. If you value a name brand (TOJ, lets not pretend its "under the radar") at TWO YEARS OUT over real craftsmanship and small shops that are located all around you and will deliver instantly, its basically like your gramma - just instead of buying at Macy's, she buys the "fancy shit" at Wilson's leather, its the next level. Its like - oh shit, e'ry one's ordering TOJ, better jump on that bandwagon.

Seriously, want to talk about value - and things that cost a lot, but not TOJ prices- just go to Etsy or reddit's leathercraft community and ask *anybody* (with a decent rating) to make *anything* for you and they'll do it quickly, professionally, and for a good price. And I bet it'll be from steer, goat or HH - it'll beat the shitty ass lamb hide you get from 2 years ago in Korea.

EDIT: fixed some spelling

13. Spaghettimatt

Spaghettimatt Senior member

What? TOJ makes HH, Goat, and Calf in addition to its "shitty ass lamb hides" (which high end designers use as well). So I'm not sure what you're going on about.

Also where on Etsy or Reddit can you get somebody to custom make you a leather jacket? Even so, you think that it would cost less than $700 for an American leather worker to custom make you a full leather?

Finally, nobody WANTS to be two years out and certainly nobody expected it. I'd say the TOJ name brand has lost A LOT of value and good will over the past year. You're sort of preaching to the choir here.

Fuck off, seriously.

1 person likes this.
  14. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

I'm not sure why "ordinary" is used to describe the wallet and daypack in a negative light.

I want my daypack to look completely "ordinary" but made with quality materials. I don't want people to stare at me when I walk down the street.

The daypack is clean and it's made out of nice durable suede, so I can't help but crack a smile every time I pick it up.

2 people like this.
  15. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

This thread is worse than the arguments on StyleZeitgeist.

6 people like this.
  16. cellardoors

I specifically was using the wallets as an example, so that's not Etsy, you're right. And their backpacks - sure, the materials are good, but how do they actually fit? Carry weight? Nobody knows, but they just dump their dollars at this random fuck in Korea who runs a restaurant and makes a jacket or two whenever he feels like it. Moreover, you can get a fucking insane Aero or Schott (+ tailoring) or Vanson for that kind of money, and instead just follow some google spreadsheet off a cliff..

Not that I don't feel bad for you for getting your $ stolen, but I get angry with the *defense* of your own theft. That's some lemming shit right there.

17. Rommel

Rommel Senior member

But the SF community is a little more open than the SZ crowd, I couldn't count how many times I've seen the guy running SZ telling new posters to "get the fuck off this forum".

1 person likes this.
  18. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

Aero, Schott, and Vanson don't fit or look anything like TOJ jackets. This is styleforum, not qualityforum.

19. nyarkies

nyarkies Senior member

Actually, quality is very much discussed in SF.

1 person likes this.
  20. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

look at yourselves. look at what you've let this turn you into

13 people like this.