1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

You have nothing to complain about so I don't really get what you're trying to do.

1 person likes this.
  2. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

That is the most stupid fucking analogy.

Woodyear, is that you?!

1 person likes this.
  3. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Does this idiot post in other threads than this one or did he just make a profile to complain about shit he knows jack shit about?

1 person likes this.
  4. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

wow, just wow. :facepalm:

1 person likes this.
  5. BaronVonBishop

BaronVonBishop Well-Known Member

Maybe that's the case, but if so, then don't promise that this daypack thing is completely separate from the jacket thing. When he comes back, now he's going to have to deal with a backlog on both fronts and it's bound to cause even further delays.

If his being away is the cause of the delays and there's no plans to address that, then just say it. If you're working on getting a guy to fill in temporarily, then say that. I'm not an impatient guy, and I like to think I'm reasonable - all I ask in return for not treating you like an idiot is that you don't treat me like one.

It's good to know jackets may still be trickling out of the above is true, but I'm having a REALLY hard time believing that there are still workers cranking out jackets and the entire thing is being held up simply because it takes a special set of skills, that only one man possesses, to get things shipped.

6. Ironist

Ironist Senior member

I'm at nine months right now, I don't know about you guys, but that went by super fast for me. I still haven't reached my ideal size yet so I don't mind the wait as long as I get it.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  7. nyarkies

nyarkies Senior member

It could but I don't believe it's fair to the original owners of the spots. They don't have any control over this clusterfuck at all. TOJ should just issue refunds and not have their customers sell their spots especially with how things are right now.

8. MauriSSio

MauriSSio Senior member

name 5 of them.

9. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I can name 50, but that is not the point.

10. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

The excuses you guys are coming up with in defence of TOJ are downright hilarious (and pathetic). If any other company operated in this manner, regardless of industry, there would be hell to pay.

11. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

not much incentive to improve when you've essentially already shut down business, though.

2 people like this.
  12. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Wasn't Drew supposedly hoping to turn this into a RTW brand? There was an Instagram pic of him and some other people a while ago, sitting around a table designing new jackets.

13. willy cheesesteak

willy cheesesteak Senior member

That was for a collab.

14. dieworkwear

Curious, do you know why he won't just turn this into a RTW brand then? Seems like a lot of the work is done: designing the jackets, figuring out the materials, grading the sizes, and building a reputation. Seems like you could just turn the patterns over to a factory, give them the materials, churn out a couple hundred of these things, and sell them to stores.

Granted, the prices would probably have to be higher, since the store needs to take a cut, but I imagine a mass production factory could also help lower the cost (at least compared to one-off MTMs)

15. willy cheesesteak

Some of the reasons can be found here.

1 person likes this.
  16. grizzlybear

grizzlybear Senior member

reasons dont equal to answers..

17. Raindrop

Raindrop Senior member

If you read the post, you notice the jackets are being made one by one..maybe production is just really, really slow.

18. willy cheesesteak

dieworkwear asked why toj wasn't turned into a rtw brand, i linked to a post drew made that stated some of his reasons why. what is so hard to understand about that?

19. dieworkwear

For what it's worth, on Savile Row, you can get a suit made within three weeks. That includes three fittings and a lot more handwork, especially in constructing the chest (which is all handpadded). For something simple, such as trousers, you could have them made in a couple of days, as there's no need for haircloth, padding, or canvasing. Same goes for a bespoke shirt, and both the pants and shirt would include a fitting.

Granted, this doesn't touch on the bottlenecks that Drew has been alluding to (demand outstripping production capacity). I'm just addressing your point that one-by-one constructions necessarily take a lot of time.

1 person likes this.
  20. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Yes, but London has a surfeit of highly-skilled workers, people who know how to "mail" and "ee-mail". Not so in other parts of the world.