1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

I certainly hope not or I'll be really upset. Some people have mentioned that their TOJ Lamb jackets came out very thin (enough to tear easily), and drew has always been extremely confident about the thickness of the lamb he offers. So I do worry about this. It's one hell of a gamble to put on a $800+ jacket we've been waiting for for almost a year.

1 person likes this.
  2. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Yes, let's all speculate wildly... :fu:

11 people like this.
  3. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

The leather on my recent BCDR was not veiny nor grainy. And not thin.

2 people like this.
  4. nyarkies

nyarkies Senior member

It's one jacket only so it could be just that. Of course, it is disappointing not to get the quality you expected (thinner leather, very grainy leather, etc.) especially when compared to the other jackets posted here that have better leather quality.

5. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

My jacket had a micro pebblegrain 0_0

6. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

>18 New posts
    >oooh maybe drew posted something.

This disappointment.

1 person likes this.
  7. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

Eat my butt

8. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Nah. Too busy burning rubber.

Great day for a spin, wearing the TOJ 0 as well.
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  9. TheObserver

TheObserver Senior member

Just wake up from a nightmare the plane carries my jacket crashing in the middle of Pacific ocean. Thanks god it was just a dream.

1 person likes this.
  10. Joona

Joona Senior member

Thanks sussi and Kap120. I get that not all like it, luckily it doesn't bother me. For instance I much prefer this to the thinner (and more supple/buttery) black lamb that my GF has on her GF DR jacket. dieworkwear has a point though, those are probably not the finest part of the hide and I get that some would be a bit upset because of it. I wasn't sure if I should even post pics because people here tend to be so dramatic about everything. Anyway, there's been at least omgcookielol's 2010 DR that had also very visible grain, so at least I knew before ordering that it's a possibility that the lamb TOJ uses will end up looking like that.

pics of the 2010 DR I'm talking about:
    http://toj-gallery.com/main.php?g2_itemId=13191
    http://toj-gallery.com/main.php?g2_itemId=13173

11. ColmDawson

ColmDawson Senior member

I think the veininess looks amazing on your MA-1.

5 people like this.
  12. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Can we get some example pics of grainy vs. veiny? I began to describe the supple arms of my varsities, but found I lack the terminology.

[​IMG]

EDIT: Here's a huge-ass pic of one of my hot pieces of leather. Veiny? Grainy? I can't tell....

EDIT 2: Not ToJ.

.​

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  13. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

"Grainy" was just a term I used at the spur of the moment in that post. It's probably not the right term. I suppose I should just say wrinkly.

To me anyway, veiny are those "just under the surface" lines you sometimes see on ToJ lamb jackets. They don't seem to always be there - so some jackets (at least from photos) seem more veiny than others. The lines on joona's jacket, however, seem different.

I don't want to pose as a leather expert, so I welcome any corrections (esp from the ToJ team, who'd certainly know more about this than I do). But, at least from my understanding, when you get a hide, different parts can be used. On a calf or cowhide, for example, you have something like this:

[​IMG]

The spine will have the tightest, smoothest, and most uniform grain. As you move away from the center/ spine of the animal, however, you get to things such as the shoulder and belly, which will have a surface that's more veiny, grainy, and wrinkly. I imagine it's harder to get a perfect hide in lamb since a lamb is a smaller animal, although none of my lambskin jackets are wrinkly or veiny in any way. Some are thin, so they're probably just split grain, but some are also pretty thick, like an RLPL I just sold, which was likely not split.

I've seen manufacturers use imperfect hides though, and cut the patterns in a way so that those imperfections are hidden. My cowhide RRL jacket, for example, has slightly less-than-ideal leather on the underside of the sleeve, where no one would see. The leather there is less tight, and a bit more wrinkly.

Joona's jacket, however, seems especially wrinkly (more so than any leather I've seen), and the pattern doesn't seem to have been cut to hide those imperfections at all. One of the most wrinkly parts of the jacket is on the left shoulder, where it's not only highly visible, but also contrasts with the smooth right shoulder.

[​IMG]

Feels to me like a change in leather and quality of cutting, but it'd be nice to hear from the ToJ team. I know people are apt to give them the benefit of the doubt, and I am too given how ToJ has grown out of the Sufu/ Styfo community (rather than come from outside of it). I do think, however, that it would be good to get some clarification. I have two lamb jackets on order, and just want to be clear on what I'm getting.

3 people like this.
  14. nyarkies

nyarkies Senior member

Grainy... veiny... my mind is in the gutter. -_-

15. Yoshi

Yoshi Senior member

Received my black lamb cwu45 and am happy to report my leather is a normal toj graininess. So, it appears that may have been an isolated incident, curious as to how that may have happened though. Good to hear that Joona is happy with the result of his leather, I was a little worried when I saw the pics, as that it too much grain for me. I'll post pics later when I'm home.

edit: update crappy pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

close up of leather:
    [​IMG]

I'm not sure if this is intentional, but I wish the peak of the arm lined up with the shoulder seem. I don't think my A2 does this, but I don't have it on me to compare. It's causing the shoulder to not sit flat in an otherwise flawless jacket.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
    3 people like this.
  16. Spaghettimatt

Spaghettimatt Senior member

Did you guys get tracking before receiving the MA-1s?

17. Yoshi

Yoshi Senior member

Yes, I think I got tracking on Tuesday. My order date was 7/17 I think for people wondering.

18. MauriSSio

MauriSSio Senior member

I think the ones you guys are referring to as being veiny or grainy just look like stretch marks like on fat people or people that used to be fat or people that got fat too fast.i think SOME of it on the jacket looks good, gives it personality but too much of it makes it look like it was made from scraps.

19. richardwallace

richardwallace Well-Known Member

are the excella zippers smaller than the standard zippers ? (size #8 for the main zip instead of #10)

20. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

Gents who wants to hook me up with a toj tote?