TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other ventures, whatever.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by impolyt_one, Jan 7, 2011.

1. jakekrait

jakekrait Well-Known Member

Is it ever allowed to change sizing after ordering? I am getting a bit paranoid about my shoulder sizing, since I wear 17" and sized up to a 47 shoulder.

i am in the same boat.

2. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

This was posted less than a day ago. Come on. Read a little.

BIG (kinda) ANNOUNCEMENT:

If you have ordered any of the new 2011 styles of leathers: those are up in the queue now, starting Monday. Materials are all in place, so my announcement is that people who've ordered these have one last chance before Sunday to maybe tweak their measurements if they want, make jackets a little longer, etc. Re-check your measurements one more time with a tape before emailing us, if you feel like it. The new styles lend themselves to being cropped or being a tad longer (I don't mean like add two inches, I mean like 3/4" or an inch to the body, and not the sleeves - though if your jacket comes with the convertible cuffs those can be like a half inch longer since they sit tighter on the wrist)
    That is all. Jackets are made at about a one piece per day, might be able to get two a day since there are some similar colored/patterned orders this time, so expect those to move soon. We're gonna make them in order, except some of the intricate ones may take longer as they take longer to make.

3. wj4

wj4 Senior member

To the first timers questioning their measurements, you guys will be most likely fine. I was the same at first, but Charly is good at what he does.

4. digilypse

digilypse Member

This was posted less than a day ago. Come on. Read a little.

Whoops, I generally keep up pretty well with the thread but that slipped past. I had ordered a 2010 a while ago, so I'm going to take that to mean that it's well past when I could make any changes.
    I'll keep my fingers crossed.

5. slipgun

slipgun Well-Known Member

Is the 2010 DR the only style that doesn't taper into a midsection smaller than the waist? Makes sense as it has the buckles, but I don't want to assume.

6. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

7. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

cross-posting:

At Costco food court this evening, a new level was breached: the lonely young man eating next to me was making the food court his restaurant for the evening; he used his onion/ketchup/mustard/relish plate as his place keeper as he went back for second and third slices of pizza. He also got up to wash his hands about 5 times, leaving 10 people wondering if the pair of seats was taken or not. The next level shit though, was him stealing a bottle of Lazy Lemon from a 6-pack in somebody's cart, and using it to make ghetto lemonade from some Kirkland bottled water, his Coke cup from the hot dog set, and ice, which he'd also get up to get every few minutes. Korean OCD schizo miser loner, I salute you, please don't kill me.

8. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

Now I'm second guessing myself.
    I ordered the Minimalist DR in black lamb, size 48, with 0.75" added to the sleeves and 0.5" added to the body, putting the front length at 22.6" and the back length at 25.2".
    I'm 5'10" and I'm not sure if I should keep those measurements or add another 0.5" to the body to bring it to a total of 1" added body length.
    Any suggestions?

I'm 5'11" and the original DR in 46 fit dead on (although I have a short torso).

9. echau

echau Senior member

Thanks for all the advice guys.
    Really looking forward to getting the jacket though I won't be able to wear it till later in the year.

10. Phrost

Phrost Senior member

cross-posting:

At Costco food court this evening, a new level was breached: the lonely young man eating next to me was making the food court his restaurant for the evening; he used his onion/ketchup/mustard/relish plate as his place keeper as he went back for second and third slices of pizza. He also got up to wash his hands about 5 times, leaving 10 people wondering if the pair of seats was taken or not. The next level shit though, was him stealing a bottle of Lazy Lemon from a 6-pack in somebody's cart, and using it to make ghetto lemonade from some Kirkland bottled water, his Coke cup from the hot dog set, and ice, which he'd also get up to get every few minutes. Korean OCD schizo miser loner, I salute you, please don't kill me.

i thought i was bad for taking extra napkins and getting in one last refill before leaving [​IMG]

tell me your curry recipe. i have flank steak in the fridge, can i use that for braising or something

11. impolyt_one

are you being serious about the curry recipe? I can give you a curry recipe that will shut down anything called 'curry rice' in North America, and I'm gona be throttling a bit so you don't get my real secret recipe. (0)

12. uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx Senior member

13. impolyt_one

alright, gonna take a few, so bear with me here. brb

14. impolyt_one

aite yeeeee bro dis be da fucking delish curry rite hurr

You need to make a spice mixture first:
    2 TBsps of curry powder
    1 TBsp of cumin
    1 TBsp chile powder
    1 Tbsp of ground coriander
    1 TBsp ground dry mustard
    1 teaspoon garam masala
    1 tsp cayenne pepper
    1 tsp turmeric
    1 tsp cardamom
    1 tsp ground oregano (that mexican shiz) - optional
    1 tsp ground black pepper
    1 tsp shichimi togarashi

adjust above levels if you like more of one or the other

First step:

get like 2-3 lbs of stewing beef, like chuck eye, something like that, cut into big cubes, dredge in flour.
    Heat some oil in a skillet or a big dutch oven (preferred) and brown the beef on all sides on medium heat. Takes awhile but the beef will get to being very brown. Turn with tongs so you get all six sides of each cube. They'll be a bit crispy, some of the flour will have come off maybe and the beef with be nice and brown too, this is all key. Finish and set aside to cool.

In the same pan, get rid of some of the oil if there's too much, then saute a couple minced onions, and a minced carrot. While you're sauteing, stir to loosen some of the stuck flour bits. You're trying to make a bit of a roux here. Add 3/4 of the spice mixture. Stir in, if there's not enough of a pasty roux forming, sprinkle in flour slowly and stir it vigorously so the fat and the flour meld.
    At this point you should have a really curry'ish, fragant roux. Add: 1 whole grated apple, one minced banana.

Re-add beef cubes, and then cover in like 2 cups of red wine. On top of this, add a 2-3 cans of stock/beef consomme to cover it all. Add a cup or two of water if you like. Campbell's beef consomme is fine, Fond de Veau if you're ballin. Add few bay leaves, and a bouquet garni or make a sachet. Bring to a boil then very low simmer.

Simmer this for a long time, I dunno. A few hours. The fat should float to the top in white globules, so skim those off, and skim the oil fat off as well, just skim it clean all the time.
    After awhile, the beef should have released a lot of its hard fat, the roux and the flour from the beef crust should have dissolved a bit, emulsified with the broth, and made the broth slightly thicker. If it's way too thick, add a bit more water and simmer a little more.

After you've skimmed, and skimmed, do this: fish out the beef cubes, set aside once more. You have a choice now of doing one of two things: taking a spider and straining out all the spent solids, or using an immersion blender to blend it all into oblivion. Either or is acceptable, but the former will leave you with a silken sauce, the latter will leave a slightly textured sauce.

The texture of this should still be runny, not too thick.

At this point, to the now smooth curry stock, re-add beef. It should be free of crust and slick, and still brown, and very tender now. Add: a small can of ready-made demiglace sauce, or some sort of veal-based demiglace sauce starter. Stir in, the texture should be a bit thicker by now.
    Add the rest of the spice mixture, add more spices to taste and adjust. Bring to a boil, then simmer a little more.

Last step: take a high-percentage chocolate bar, like a 70-something valrhona or at least something not Hershey's, and use a paring knife down the side to shave like a good quarter bar in and melt.

Serve with a half moon of rice, some benishouga, some fukujinsuke, you good.

Serve with vegetable glacee on the side, if you like, or steam some veggies and serve on top of your curry. Don't put cruciferous veggies in the actual curry, because it will ruin the taste. Freeze the leftover curry and make fresh vegetables on the side each time to serve.

15. macuser3of5

macuser3of5 Senior member

are you being serious about the curry recipe? I can give you a curry recipe that will shut down anything called 'curry rice' in North America, and I'm gona be throttling a bit so you don't get my real secret recipe. (0)
    omg plz lolz it's up already... will try later this week. [​IMG]